Alaska Excitement

Hoyaheel

Yep, despite having an entire tote of travel toiletries, I ordered some new eye cream from the Nordstrom half-yearly sale because it came with a travel set of things that looked fun. Husband says I have a problem ;p

[to be fair, I did need new eye cream!]

I see nothing wrong with this! Haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

So what is everyone doing for night time attire? Do you do formal dress on formal nights? Or do you plan to keep it more casual?

We enjoy getting dressed up for formal night (well I do and hubby goes along with it). I never have the chance or occasion normally so I enjoy it. Formal I'll go for a cocktail type dress so nothing too fancy. And for other nights I usually will wear a casual dress and heels.

So what is everyone doing for night time attire? Do you do formal dress on formal nights? Or do you plan to keep it more casual?

We enjoy getting dressed up for formal night (well I do and hubby goes along with it). I never have the chance or occasion normally so I enjoy it. Formal I'll go for a cocktail type dress so nothing too fancy. And for other nights I usually will wear a casual dress and heels.

Hi, is the question for anyone? :D I usually wear slacks and if it is more formal? I have some very dressy pants that are black with flecks of gold running throughout. A beautiful top (in black) with a lovely neckline that

has gold embroidery/beading on the front. Other nights I wear slacks with nice tops. (colors vary, jewelry, shoes, etc).

We'll have one formal optional on our cruise. Husband will wear jacket & trousers. Maybe tie :-) (tie not required) I haven't decided what I want to do yet. Sundresses the other nights...

We will not be formal. We're on Celebrity so we have Elegant Chic night? I have a couple bamboo knit dresses that I plan to wear. Very simple. Dress them up or down. For those nights that I change for dinner...I'll be wearing one of these dresses.

I do enjoy dressing up but I don't think that I would enjoy dressing up on our Alaska vacation.

When I'm on vacation, I tend to switch my daily shower routine - I'll do town/excursions in the morning and then shower late afternoon before dinner, so I pretty much always will change & "dress up" (though a knit dress is so easy and comfortable to me - it can be like putting jammies on, so why not? ;-)

Since I don't travel with jeans, pretty much anything I plan to wear during the day could be worn for dinner on the majority of our evenings....Even if I don't do it. Or I'd wear the same pants but with a different top....

We typically keep it more casual, in line with "elegant chic" or "country club casual" and haven't dressed in formal wear, even on cruises that officially have formal nights in years. Jeans or linen pants with a Tommy Bahama style shirt or sometimes a nice dress shirt with French cuffs for my BF. Dressy jeans or white pants with fun/dressy tops, or a casual maxi dress for me.

That said, my BF and a good friend of his recently had new tuxes and dinner jackets custom tailored for them while in Hong Kong. We'll be on Celebrity in Alaska later this month and despite the "no formal nights" they decided they want to wear their new formal duds on a night or two. So, if you see a couple of guys on Millennium in tuxes one night and/or white dinner jackets another, that'll be us, LOL. One of those "formal" nights I plan to wear a new, dressy black jumpsuit I recently got at WHBM. It's pretty dressy...halter neckline and flowy, palazzo pants at the bottom with a big slit up each side. With my strappy black patent or black chiffon high-heeled sandals, sparkly clutch and jewelry, I think it will be plenty formal enough. A black cocktail dress the other night.

I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out what purse I want to bring (really, what type of bag - not even the specific bag) Argh! Normally I use a lesportsac hobo for travel - lightweight, can wear crossbody, fits what I want. But I'm not sure it will fit what I want for shore excursions in Alaska. Last trip I brought my ameribag sling bag - it fit my rain coat and water bottle. I still have it but haven't used in ages (comfort levels changed? Not sure what happened). I know a small water bottle will fit in the hobo, but not a coat if I take off layers. And I really don't want to bring a full backpack (I know I'll put too much in it!) On the ship, I have a Tumi wristlet I'll use for dinner (I use it as a wallet in my daybag and it works for dinners because it'll fit lip balm, key, phone (for camera)) I have time to decide - but not that much time!

I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out what purse I want to bring (really, what type of bag - not even the specific bag) Argh! Normally I use a lesportsac hobo for travel - lightweight, can wear crossbody, fits what I want. But I'm not sure it will fit what I want for shore excursions in Alaska. Last trip I brought my ameribag sling bag - it fit my rain coat and water bottle. I still have it but haven't used in ages (comfort levels changed? Not sure what happened). I know a small water bottle will fit in the hobo, but not a coat if I take off layers. And I really don't want to bring a full backpack (I know I'll put too much in it!) On the ship, I have a Tumi wristlet I'll use for dinner (I use it as a wallet in my daybag and it works for dinners because it'll fit lip balm, key, phone (for camera)) I have time to decide - but not that much time!

You have all of June and July to decide:D…..I leave in just over a month...….but I am remembering what I brought with me last summer (or trying to anyway) LOL...…….of course sightseeing in Europe is quite different than Alaska. I have a small Kipling Crossbody bag and will use it for my tours. I have started to think about my wardrobe. I wore cotton a lot so will stick with that this time too.:)

You have all of June and July to decide:D…..:)

And most of August ;-) We fly to Vancouver Aug 28....

One issue will be travel days and how much I carry on. Haven't decided if I want to carry on a tote and check a 25" bag, or check 22" bag and carry on a tote and a 19" rolling bag.....That might help me determine what kind of purse to take.....

Small crossbody bags don't hold enough for me to use for sightseeing because I always want a bottle of water with me. I have a few that are super cute and I just never use them...I've purged some from the closet but still keep a few, just in case ;p

While I'll bring a couple cotton tees, I imagine goretex + wicking + light merino will be on my packing list. Oh, and Uniqlo heattech - it's a great base layer and actually not "hot", so....

And most of August ;-) We fly to Vancouver Aug 28....

One issue will be travel days and how much I carry on. Haven't decided if I want to carry on a tote and check a 25" bag, or check 22" bag and carry on a tote and a 19" rolling bag.....That might help me determine what kind of purse to take.....

Small crossbody bags don't hold enough for me to use for sightseeing because I always want a bottle of water with me. I have a few that are super cute and I just never use them...I've purged some from the closet but still keep a few, just in case ;p

While I'll bring a couple cotton tees, I imagine goretex + wicking + light merino will be on my packing list. Oh, and Uniqlo heattech - it's a great base layer and actually not "hot", so....

I must be having a Sr moment:confused:...….I thought your signature said 8/13....is says 8/31...so you really do have plenty of time:D

You just reminded me to add a new purse to my list. I need something smaller than I took last year. Really I'd like something to use on and off the ship that is just big enough for my phone (only used for pictures/videos) some chapstick and small wallet. If I need more than that I make my husband wear a small backpack. He can carry my water for me haha.

Spent a few hours last night looking for clothes online and didn't really find a thing.

Anita, our daughter & her boyfriend have that same backpack. They both love it. Karin got the smaller bright blue & Corby got the larger (he’s 6’6) bright blue. They hike & travel a lot & both love it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is a cute daypack!!

Husband has a backpack as his airplane personal item, so we'll have that if we want it. Might bring a drybag too, esp if we're able to book a whale watching tour. We have a few different sizes from sailing trips.

Nessie - what kind of clothing are you looking for? Nordstrom half yearly sale ends today - I ordered a top, a cardigan, and shoes. Have to bring the shoes back - they're cute & have a REALLY comfortable insole (softwalks) but they are just a smidge too narrow on my foot box and I'm afraid they won't stretch. If you're looking for raincoats, the REI garage (online) has some really lovely options at good prices. I'm sure other places will be having sales throughout the summer as well, have to look again to see when your cruise is...

That is a cute daypack!!

Husband has a backpack as his airplane personal item, so we'll have that if we want it. Might bring a drybag too, esp if we're able to book a whale watching tour. We have a few different sizes from sailing trips.

Nessie - what kind of clothing are you looking for? Nordstrom half yearly sale ends today - I ordered a top, a cardigan, and shoes. Have to bring the shoes back - they're cute & have a REALLY comfortable insole (softwalks) but they are just a smidge too narrow on my foot box and I'm afraid they won't stretch. If you're looking for raincoats, the REI garage (online) has some really lovely options at good prices. I'm sure other places will be having sales throughout the summer as well, have to look again to see when your cruise is...

Really I just need some cute casual tops. And a new fleece zip up. I'd love a new pair of shoes or 2 haha. I've got some new jeans coming so hopefully they will fit. I think Ive got enough dressy clothes so I can get by without anything new there. I have hiking boots but not a rain coat. If it's raining so bad I'd actually need one I'm not getting off the ship. We are going in July. Last July it was about 60 degrees in the Alaskan ports and only had rain while sailing at night.

Oh I never shop at nordstrom's, I should take a look. With 2 little kids I dont really get a chance to go out shopping and rely on Amazon for most things. Can't beat the 2 day shipping and free returns.

And I've got to do the dreaded bathing suit shopping........[emoji30] . Because a soak in the hot tub with some champagne is an Alaska cruise must for me!

Nordstrom has free shipping and returns, but I have a store about 50 miles from home (closer to my work) so I often return in person. I like them for shoes but my store is small so not the biggest selection - ordering online is just easier.

We travel often in cool/cold/wet places & times - I couldn't live without a raincoat or three ;-)

I tried target swimsuits this year - none of the 4 I ordered worked out. So I went to Costco and got another miraclesuit ;-)

Nordstrom has free shipping and returns, but I have a store about 50 miles from home (closer to my work) so I often return in person. I like them for shoes but my store is small so not the biggest selection - ordering online is just easier.

We travel often in cool/cold/wet places & times - I couldn't live without a raincoat or three ;-)

I tried target swimsuits this year - none of the 4 I ordered worked out. So I went to Costco and got another miraclesuit ;-)

Costco always has great stuff! I am there every 2 weeks but never let myself look at the clothes. I'll have to wander over there next time.

So I may not have to worry about as many clothes now. My husband went ahead and ordered me a bunch of stuff! He is usually right on with what he picks out for me so we will see in the next few days.

I'm also thinking the cruise will be a good excuse to get some new makeup too.

I probably should have a raincoat since I like in the Seattle area but I never have. Dont ever even use an umbrella. I'm immune to the rain at this point.

I'm enjoying hearing about all the different cruise lines everyone is going on. I've only sailed Royal and Celebrity so it's really cool to hear about what goes on in the other lines.

Yeah, rain doesn't really bother me, but I wear glasses (and hate umbrellas) so a good rain hat is pretty important to me ;-)

Costco has some great travel pants & shorts my husband loves, and I got great deals on merino tees a few years back, so I always check the clothing ;-)

Costco has their women’s travel pants back. They are absolutely my favorite pants! Ankle length, rip stock material that dries immediately, very light & many pockets (some with zippers). I had to buy 3 more pair ($13.99 a pair) as I’ve shrunk down to a size 8 (this is not a bad thing!!!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Costco has their women’s travel pants back.

Yes, I have a couple pairs too. I like them (they're great for airplanes!) But I'm worried they might be too chilly for going ashore in Alaska (they're ankle length - even on me and I'm short ;-) Still planning to bring on my cruise, though, as well as Costco tech pants from a couple years back - it's more like a jogger?

So I haven't bought any of the additional colors - just have black in a couple of sizes :p