Question about terminal illness and cruising

Laf1381

The first oncologist my aunt went to told her she had 11 months to live. My aunt lived over 5 years after her lung cancer diagnosis, and it wasn't cancer that killed her.

I've met all kinds of people on cruises who have come right out and said they're on the cruise because they just recovered from a stroke or heart attack, or have a terminal diagnosis and don't know what tomorrow will bring. Far be it from me to tell them not to cruises and deprive them of their joy.

Roz

• 3 weeks later...

The cruise was scheduled for later this month. Unfortunately he is in the hospital and has only days left. It’s heartbreaking for everyone. Thanks for checking in and thanks to all who replied to my question.

The cruise was scheduled for later this month. Unfortunately he is in the hospital and has only days left. It’s heartbreaking for everyone. Thanks for checking in and thanks to all who replied to my question.

Condolences.

Thanks for info. The situation is very serious. He is at risk for many medical complications. The brain cancer is the most aggressive type and this travel will occur when radiation is over which means the tumors will grow rapidly. The flight they need to take to get to the ship is also a risk. Just trying to prepare ourselves as any problems that occur may fall on us to handle. I would love to see them take this final cruise but it just doesn’t seem like a safe choice. The travel insurance was purchased before diagnosis so that could still be effective I imagine.

I don't see how 'safe' enters the picture. At the risk of sounding crass, he is going to die. Soon, as you describe it. The only question is where and specifically when.

I can see an issue of causing inconvenience, but it sounds like the wife is prepared to deal with that. It isn't what I personally do, but I see no reason he shouldn't follow Old Blue Eye's plan to 'Live My Life Until I Die'.

What you and other members of the family think about shouldn't matter - except I hope you guys aren't stressing him by opposing his wishes. It is his life and if he wants to do this rather than have a big family gathering (which I can totally understand) and his wife is down with it and prepared, then it is really no one else's business. We shouldn't wait until someone is actually dead before we start honoring their dying wishes.

I don't see how 'safe' enters the picture. At the risk of sounding crass, he is going to die. Soon, as you describe it. The only question is where and specifically when.

Speaking of crass, did you not read the OPs final post? Your comments couldn't come at a worse time.

So sorry to hear that this is how it turned out.