Hubard Glacier Viewing

Italy52

We just did a B2B cruise on the Millennium to Alaska and didn't see a shore excursion for Hubbard. Where did you find this??? If the excursion is listed under the excursions can you please cut and paste the information here --- if so, this must be something new as I have cruised the Millennium to Alaska 10 times and have never seen this type of excursion. Wonder if this is something new the cruise lines are trying out.

Hi Italy52

I saw someone else copied some of the text from Celebrity regarding the Hubbard Glacier “shore excursion”. Here is the rest of the text. I had to log into Celebrity and it was under the Cruise Planner shore excursions for Day 2 Hubbard Glacier (Crusing) - $344CAD/pp

Highlights

- Explore wild Alaska and search for wildlife both in the sea and on land, from whales and porpoises, to bears and moose.

- Marvel at jaw-dropping panoramas of temperate rainforest, snowcapped mountains, abundant icebergs and dramatic coastline.

- An onboard naturalist will talk about the local wildlife and geographic features of the area, complementing the visual experience of the tour.

- Enjoy the detours and stops along the way to take amazing photographs and soak in scenery impossible to view from a cruise ship.

What To Bring

SeaPass card and photo identification

Camera

Cash/credit cards

What To Wear

Comfortable walking shoes

Warm, layered clothing

Light rain jacket

Important Notes

Guests with limited mobility and wheelchair-dependent guests should not select this tour, as they must navigate a number of stairs, moving platforms and a narrow door threshold with little to no assistance.

Complimentary beverages included onboard the tour vessel: hot chocolate, coffee, tea, and water. Additional beverages are available for purchase.

This tour operates in all weather conditions.

Wildlife sightings are frequent, but not guaranteed.

Advisements

Light Snack / Refreshment

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Someone asked about it on this thread and I found the excursion on Princess's website:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2639160

Don't know much more.

I'm curious as to the details here. They pick you up from the cruise ship off the mouth of Yakutat Bay? Do they drop you at the same place later? Plus, providing you a great tour of everything there about. I'm guessing that they drop you off on your ship after it has arrived near Hubbard and is getting ready to return. If not, I can't visualize how they would be able to provide all that in only three hours. For instance, it is about a 72 mile round trip to the glacier from near Yakutat, there is no way they are going to make a roundtrip in that short of time, let alone see anything.

Even if they drop you off on your vessel after it is getting ready to depart Disenchantment Bay, it still seems like not enough time.

I'm curious as to the details here. They pick you up from the cruise ship off the mouth of Yakutat Bay? Do they drop you at the same place later? Plus, providing you a great tour of everything there about. I'm guessing that they drop you off on your ship after it has arrived near Hubbard and is getting ready to return. If not, I can't visualize how they would be able to provide all that in only three hours. For instance, it is about a 72 mile round trip to the glacier from near Yakutat, there is no way they are going to make a roundtrip in that short of time, let alone see anything.

Even if they drop you off on your vessel after it is getting ready to depart Disenchantment Bay, it still seems like not enough time.

The cruise line told me that when they do Hubbard Glacier, the ship turns so both sides can view the glacier straight on from their balconies. If the ship turns, it would give the smaller crafts time to catch up.

I'll post a review here in less than three week, probably from our hotel in Seward on the 15th.

Thanks Hubofhockey. Looking forward to your take on the Hubbard Glacier expedition.... no pressure, hahaha! Will decide whether to stick with our booking or cancel and watch from our balcony. My only concern is I think I’ve heard that it’s a crap shoot how close the cruise ship gets to the glacier, depending on conditions, how many other cruise ships are there, etc. Anyone have any other feedback about how close cruise ships can get?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

SCrozier, as I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, we got real close to the face of Hubbard for our two cruises. I just saw another comment from another cruiser (different line) who said they got close. Perhaps this year will turn out to be a good one for viewing at Hubbard.

Make sure to spend some time out on deck when viewing Hubbard --- you won't regret it. Viewing Hubbard from a balcony can be limiting at times --- I would hate for you to miss some calving action should it happen.

The cruise line told me that when they do Hubbard Glacier, the ship turns so both sides can view the glacier straight on from their balconies. If the ship turns, it would give the smaller crafts time to catch up.

I'll post a review here in less than three week, probably from our hotel in Seward on the 15th.

Yes. Please post. This excursion just popped up for my June 15 cruise. I would love your feedback before we take off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I'll see if I can get some pictures up overnight on the 15th and post my first impressions on the 14th, the day of the excursion.

The weird thing is that we're doing the Hubbard Glacier excursion on the 14th and Major Marine Kenai Fjords 7.5 hour cruise on the 15th. I'm hoping that they are totally different. On the 16th, we're doing kayaking from Seward around Bear Glacier.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up overnight on the 15th and post my first impressions on the 14th, the day of the excursion.

The weird thing is that we're doing the Hubbard Glacier excursion on the 14th and Major Marine Kenai Fjords 7.5 hour cruise on the 15th. I'm hoping that they are totally different. On the 16th, we're doing kayaking from Seward around Bear Glacier.

They are different in the fact that while both will offer glacier viewing (and hopefully, calving), Kenai Fjords will have more wildlife than your Hubbard visit. I don't think you will be disappointed with your KF choice. On another note, during the times we have been iced out of Hubbard, we did see glacier calving with the KF tour. So doubling your options can be a good thing.

I was at Hubbard last week on Oceania. We didn't have any excursions offered there, and I can't really see how an excursion on a largish or smallish ship would work. It was a long way from the entrance at Yakutat to the face of the glacier. We were a bit disappointed when we first got there because it was very foggy and visibility was limited. It was raining and misting a bit as well. I stayed up on top but wished I had gone to a lower, sheltered place to take pictures. A lower vantage point may have made my pictures more impressive as well (not sure). The ship turned around very slowly a couple times, pausing around 30 minutes so people on each side of the ship could see the glacier easily. After about an hour the fog cleared up quite a bit and it was a lot easier to see the different colors. We stayed there for at least 45 minutes after that, and in the end were 3/4ths mile from the glacier There was calving going on, although sometimes you could hear it but not see it. There was no naturalist on board, but the cruise director gave some narration.

I don't think more than one ship is allowed into the area at a time. I'm pretty sure every cruise line spends time there and turns around while there. We didn't see any other ships, Zodiacs, etc. there when we visited.

I\\

Of course, the 2 boat tours are completely different. Hubbard Glacier is one big face, they may also sail you by the point to the sea lion rookery that I always see.

A Kenai Fjords boat tour is much more. However, a Bear Glacier kayak trip is so so at best, compared to an Aialik trip. I see it as kind of a beginner trip.

Of course, the 2 boat tours are completely different. Hubbard Glacier is one big face, they may also sail you by the point to the sea lion rookery that I always see.

A Kenai Fjords boat tour is much more. However, a Bear Glacier kayak trip is so so at best, compared to an Aialik trip. I see it as kind of a beginner trip.

So-So at best, but, it does get amazing reviews on Trip Advisor. So many say it's the best thing they did in Alaska. It's a bit disappointing that you're down on it. Not too many write about it on Cruise Critic. We really aren't too experienced when it comes to kayaking, so maybe that's for the best.

They are advertising Hubbard Glacier as also wildlife viewing, including whales, sea lions, otters, black bears, and brown bears. It is what it is and I'll find out in about 10 days. If it's just a closer look at one big face of a glacier, maybe that would be disappointing.

So-So at best, but, it does get amazing reviews on Trip Advisor. So many say it's the best thing they did in Alaska. It's a bit disappointing that you're down on it. Not too many write about it on Cruise Critic. We really aren't too experienced when it comes to kayaking, so maybe that's for the best.

They are advertising Hubbard Glacier as also wildlife viewing, including whales, sea lions, otters, black bears, and brown bears. It is what it is and I'll find out in about 10 days. If it's just a closer look at one big face of a glacier, maybe that would be disappointing.

I've done both kayak trips.

As for the wildlife at Hubbard- I always see the sea lions and many times sea otters- which are tough to see since they are skiddish. Also, sometimes harbor seals.

But the bear viewing is a big if and pure chance. I've see bears- once in the bay, out of at least 30 trips :) And I am intent on looking, spending hours scanning, commonly from shortly after entering. until leaving (frequently when no one else is out).

Be sure to have your binoculars with you. Have a great time.

My 12X binoculars may not get it done. I suppose my expectations should just be up close at the glacier and all else is a bonus. It's not as if they can really promise more. Leaving for Vancouver tomorrow and definitely excited.

With the kayak tour, Liquid Adventures has the full day Aialak tour. There is no way we could do that and the 1/2 day trip for beginners will be enough for us. We're pretty excited for Bear Lake and riding through the icebergs and getting close. Now, I'm at the point of checking weather forecasts and hoping we get to carry out the plans.

My 12X binoculars may not get it done. I suppose my expectations should just be up close at the glacier and all else is a bonus. It's not as if they can really promise more. Leaving for Vancouver tomorrow and definitely excited.

With the kayak tour, Liquid Adventures has the full day Aialak tour. There is no way we could do that and the 1/2 day trip for beginners will be enough for us. We're pretty excited for Bear Lake and riding through the icebergs and getting close. Now, I'm at the point of checking weather forecasts and hoping we get to carry out the plans.

Have a wonderful trip --- looking forward to reading your comments when you return. We sail on the 16th (HAL) so we will have to catch up on your review when we get back.

I can't imagine a cruise line touting brown bear viewing opportunity from the deck of a cruise ship while sailing up and back on Yakutat Bay and Disenchantment Bay in order to view the face of Hubbard. Perhaps, with the help of good binoculars, one might spot a bear at long distance on the beach. It appears this reference comes from the narrative in Shore excursion # YAI-660. Bear viewing would indeed be possible from a smaller vessel running around these bays and the stream mouths entering them. However, I'm still waiting to hear from someone who took one of these THREE HOUR tours, getting off the large vessel near the mouth of Yakutat Bay, traveled the 72 miles up and back to Hubbard and then got back on their cruise ship during which they saw all that stuff, all in three hours. https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=YA1-660

Now, we have only cruised to Hubbard one time, in late May. It was a wonderful voyage on a beautiful sunny day, we got very close to the face and spent a couple of hours there, enough time for me to get sun burned.

However, being a commercial pilot for years on the coast of Alaska I can attest that there are a lot of very large brown bear in that neck of the woods. One time a friend of mine bought a Super Cub, PA 18, on large tundra tires from someone in Yakutat. He had to get it up to Anchorage. Since I worked for Alaska Airlines at the time and since I had pass privileges with them, I volunteered to fly down and get his airplane for him. That area of the world has huge ocean beaches many miles long, on which the North Pacific roles into and onto with monster breakers year around. Every once in a while a large vessel will lose power or a barge will get away and end up on one of these beaches, it is almost impossible to get them off so they sit on the beach and rust away.

An event like that had occurred shortly before I went down to get the Cub, on a beach directly north of Yakutat Bay. Yakutat Bay is like 20 miles across at the mouth and since I didn't know anything about this particular airplane I was a little nervous in just flying directly north out across so much water. I elected to fly up Yakutat Bay to the point where it got narrow then jump across. As I progressed east I realized it was going to take forever to get to a narrow spot, besides, the engine was running good, so I turned north. Shortly I was flying north of Yakutat, following the beach, on this very nice day, getting bored, and here comes that barge. It was low tide and this monstrous barge loaded with railroad box cars was just sitting there high and dry. I noticed a rope ladder on the side of the barge. I decided to land and investigate (a Cub with big tires can land anywhere, besides the beach sand here was so hard from the surf I bet a 747 could have landed there). I made one more swing around the barge but as I did, out of one boxcars, with its door open, came a very large brown bear. I slowly eased the throttle open again and continued on my way.

Well, Celebrity canceled this excursion. I’m extremely disappointed after canceling our sea plane excursion in Juneau for it. Can’t win them all.

Did they say why they cancelled it. I was looking forward to your review. We have it booked for our cruise later this summer.

Well, Celebrity canceled this excursion. I’m extremely disappointed after canceling our sea plane excursion in Juneau for it. Can’t win them all.

I'm so sorry this happened to you as I know you were looking forward to this excursion. Is there any way you can get your plane excursion back?