Aruba - Jolly Pirates Trip Report

thetone

We went out on our own and really enjoyed the Jolly Pirates snorkel excursion. A cab from the cruise terminal to Moombah Beach was about $11 pp if I recall correctly. We got to the beach about 30 minutes before check in time, and got to walk the beautiful, pristine beaches of Aruba before the maddening crowds appeared. We booked on-line ($60 pp, and it is a STEAL), and electronically signed our waivers, so our check-in was flawless. The pirate ship is in great shape, and the crew is really fun.

The first snorkel site is amazing - a WWII vessel. The water was very choppy, so we used live vests, even though we are strong and experienced swimmers. The next two snorkel sites offered tons of fish, and rivaled even the most plentiful snorkeling sites we have been to in Hawaii. Rum punch started flowing from the time we boarded (no beer though), through the very nice BBQ lunch, and then - the legendary rope swing! The ship returned at about 12:30 or 1:00 pm I believe, and we walked up and down Moombah beach, hitting various beach bars. We jumped into one of the numerous high-rise hotels on the way and grabbed a cab back to the ship. (Tip: You need to be DRY when getting in a cab - as there are strict rules about not being damp when hailing a hotel cab.) Much like Hawaii, the sand is silky, water is perfect, and the area we were in was geared toward American tourists. All in all - WELL worth it, and Aruba is amazing.

Cheers.

When you got the taxi did you tell them you wanted the jolly pirate boat tour? or did you just have them drop you at MooMba Beach and was it easy to find where to meet?

I was debating whether to do Jolly Pirates or Mi Dushi and after reading your report we're going to do the pirates. :)

We told the cab driver Jolly Pirates and he actually dropped us off two hotels from the small pier where they take off, but you can't miss the Pirate ship!

We were debating Mi Dushi too. I don't know anything about them, but we met a couple on the trip from Boston who had been on jolly pirates seven times!

Cheers.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Forums mobile app

We are hoping to do the Jolly pirates on our cruise but I have one question. There will be 10 of us and a cab at $11/person is really steep. I heard about buses but wondered how close to the pirate ship do they drop you off.

any idea?

We are hoping to do the Jolly pirates on our cruise but I have one question. There will be 10 of us and a cab at $11/person is really steep. I heard about buses but wondered how close to the pirate ship do they drop you off.

any idea?

The cab fare is per taxi, not per person. I think that the fare is probably a few dollars more than that, but I'm not sure of the price. However, taxis can only take up to 5 passengers, by law. The bus can drop you off close to the Jolly Pirates. Just tell them to drop you off near Holiday Inn.

The cab fare is per taxi, not per person. I think that the fare is probably a few dollars more than that, but I'm not sure of the price. However, taxis can only take up to 5 passengers, by law. The bus can drop you off close to the Jolly Pirates. Just tell them to drop you off near Holiday Inn.

thanks, So it is doable to get from the cruise ship to the Jolly Pirate by bus in time? We are suppose to dock at 0800 and the Jolly Pirate leaves at 0900. Oh!, is there a time change ? I didn't think of that before.

thanks, So it is doable to get from the cruise ship to the Jolly Pirate by bus in time? We are suppose to dock at 0800 and the Jolly Pirate leaves at 0900. Oh!, is there a time change ? I didn't think of that before.

I just checked, the time is the same as ship time. So, I guess we can try to get there on time. If we get off as soon as we can hopefully we can make it.

I just checked, the time is the same as ship time. So, I guess we can try to get there on time. If we get off as soon as we can hopefully we can make it.

Since you've got a short window of time, I'd definitely go by taxi. I would contact A1 Taxi Service and see if you can reserve some taxis. I have a timeshare in Aruba and vacation there for several weeks every year. I know many of the drivers with A1. Just explain your situation and let them know how many people are in your group. Their email is a1taxiservices.aruba@hotmail.com

Since you've got a short window of time, I'd definitely go by taxi. I would contact A1 Taxi Service and see if you can reserve some taxis. I have a timeshare in Aruba and vacation there for several weeks every year. I know many of the drivers with A1. Just explain your situation and let them know how many people are in your group. Their email is a1taxiservices.aruba@hotmail.com

Wow, thank you so much for that information. I would feel much better getting there on time and not worry about the buses and we can always do the buses back to the ship

Wow, thank you so much for that information. I would feel much better getting there on time and not worry about the buses and we can always do the buses back to the ship

You are welcome. Let us know how it works out.

Don't waste your time taking a bus back to port. Bus is $2.50 per and with 5 people per cab, that would be $12.50 for the bus and the cab might be $14. Have a change of clothes since cabbies won't let you in their cab if they think your suit is wet. Go next door to the Holiday Inn and catch a cab back to port instead of waiting for one to show up even if Jolly Pirate calls for one.

Don't waste your time taking a bus back to port. Bus is $2.50 per and with 5 people per cab, that would be $12.50 for the bus and the cab might be $14. Have a change of clothes since cabbies won't let you in their cab if they think your suit is wet. Go next door to the Holiday Inn and catch a cab back to port instead of waiting for one to show up even if Jolly Pirate calls for one.

More great info! Thanks! It really does make sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing the information about Jolly Pirates and the cab costs. We are looking to book this for next June and have to decide between the morning and afternoon.

We dock at 8 a.m. and leave at 8 p.m. Not sure how rushed we will be to get there by 9 a.m. or if we should do the afternoon? But now that I know cab cost we definitely will be booking this excursion.

We are headed to Aruba for 10 days (so getting there isn't a problem for us) and would like some more info on the actual snorkeling.

Do you know where they took you to snorkel? (Like what area or beaches were you in front of).

How deep was the water where you mentioned the ship wreck was? Was it actually easy to see it if it was so far down?

Where did you have the BBQ at? Is it on the boat or do they stop somewhere to have it?

You mentioned rum punch but was their soda to drink as well? Would you say this is a good tour for families or just adults?

Thanks in advance. :)

We are headed to Aruba for 10 days (so getting there isn't a problem for us) and would like some more info on the actual snorkeling.

Do you know where they took you to snorkel? (Like what area or beaches were you in front of).

How deep was the water where you mentioned the ship wreck was? Was it actually easy to see it if it was so far down?

Where did you have the BBQ at? Is it on the boat or do they stop somewhere to have it?

You mentioned rum punch but was their soda to drink as well? Would you say this is a good tour for families or just adults?

I don't recall the names of the other snorkeling spots, but they were not far from the WW II wreck, and were fairly close to shore. There were numerous other boats at all of the spots, so these are well traveled locations. The water was very deep at the wreck, but it is clearly visible even from just floating on the surface. The BBQ was served on-board; the crew passes around plates for everyone. Yes - there is soda, water and juice on board. I think the trip is perfectly fine for families. Not sure I would take a say a 3-4 year old because you have to jump off the ship to get in the water, but it is fine for older kids.

Cheers.

Hi Kim. I've never been on Jolly Pirates but I know that it goes to the ship wreck, where the current is often very strong, Boca Catalina and I believe, Arashi.

We dock at 8 am and leave at 4 pm so the 9 am is really our only option. I emailed Jolly Pirates and they said that will be "ample" time to get there in time. Just take a taxi as noted above. I would think if they have a number of people from cruise ships in port that day and they know that, they may delay 15 minutes or so if they have to from their original stated sail time. I would just make note of your short timeframe when you book.

And if they don't wait, well, you're still on a cruise and in Aruba, have fun. lol. Granted you're out the money but you take chances in that situation and most of the time it works out I would think.

I don't recall the names of the other snorkeling spots, but they were not far from the WW II wreck, and were fairly close to shore. There were numerous other boats at all of the spots, so these are well traveled locations. The water was very deep at the wreck, but it is clearly visible even from just floating on the surface. The BBQ was served on-board; the crew passes around plates for everyone. Yes - there is soda, water and juice on board. I think the trip is perfectly fine for families. Not sure I would take a say a 3-4 year old because you have to jump off the ship to get in the water, but it is fine for older kids.

Cheers.

they dont have steps? how do you get back on the ship?