Alesund, Norway public buses

Our ship docks in Alesund this July, and we're thinking of either hiking Sugartop Mountain (Sukkertoppen) or going to the Sunnmore open air museum. We found a lot of info from @I-Cruiser and others online suggesting public buses 618 and 624 can take us there, but the links no longer work, and google searches do not pull anything up for Alesund public bus routes. Are there still public buses in Alesund? How do I find the routes and timetables?

Thanks for your help!

Our ship docks in Alesund this July, and we're thinking of either hiking Sugartop Mountain (Sukkertoppen) or going to the Sunnmore open air museum. We found a lot of info from @I-Cruiser and others online suggesting public buses 618 and 624 can take us there, but the links no longer work, and google searches do not pull anything up for Alesund public bus routes. Are there still public buses in Alesund? How do I find the routes and timetables?

Thanks for your help!

We were there last week from the HAL Rotterdam and yes you can the bus 618 from the port and it takes about 10 minutes to get to the Sunmore museum. The HO HO bus also goes there. You can also walk there and is 5 km and we walked halfway and took the bus for the rest of the way since we got tired from walking up Mt. Alsaka early in the morning. Our 5 minutes bus ride cost 82 NOK and the bus takes credit card. We walked back to the ship in about an hour from Sunnmore but there's not a whole lot to see at Sunnmore.

We were there last week from the HAL Rotterdam and yes you can the bus 618 from the port and it takes about 10 minutes to get to the Sunmore museum. The HO HO bus also goes there. You can also walk there and is 5 km and we walked halfway and took the bus for the rest of the way since we got tired from walking up Mt. Alsaka early in the morning. Our 5 minutes bus ride cost 82 NOK and the bus takes credit card. We walked back to the ship in about an hour from Sunnmore but there's not a whole lot to see at Sunnmore.

Thanks for the information. But is it really $10 USD to ride a bus?

Thanks for the information. But is it really $10 USD to ride a bus?

The 82 NOK was for 2 people so is 5 each. As I said, you can walk there after you get the ship, head to the direction toward the highway but you cannot walk on the hwy of course so you need to walk parallel along the hwy and you can get there in an hour or so.

The 82 NOK was for 2 people so is 5 each. As I said, you can walk there after you get the ship, head to the direction toward the highway but you cannot walk on the hwy of course so you need to walk parallel along the hwy and you can get there in an hour or so.

Thanks, that is much better!!

Thanks, that is much better!!

One more note I'd like to add. There are more buses running let say if you walk on the street parallel to the pier and catch the bus to Sunnmore. Do ask the bus driver if he goes there first and I think the buses run every 15 mins when we were there last week. If you are catching the bus back instead of walking back like we do, just go to the opposite side where the bus drop you off and catch the bus from there. I don't think there's a bus stop on the opposite side of Sunnmore but we saw people got off the bus and also confirmed by the bus driver this is how you catch the bus. Lol...

When we were in Alesund, the first thing we did is walk up Mt. Alask then walk to the light house. Back to the ship for lunch then head to Sunnmore because my wife wanted to go. Gotta make the wife hapy right? Lol...You'll like Alesund it's beautiful.....

One more note I'd like to add. There are more buses running let say if you walk on the street parallel to the pier and catch the bus to Sunnmore. Do ask the bus driver if he goes there first and I think the buses run every 15 mins when we were there last week. If you are catching the bus back instead of walking back like we do, just go to the opposite side where the bus drop you off and catch the bus from there. I don't think there's a bus stop on the opposite side of Sunnmore but we saw people got off the bus and also confirmed by the bus driver this is how you catch the bus. Lol...

When we were in Alesund, the first thing we did is walk up Mt. Alask then walk to the light house. Back to the ship for lunch then head to Sunnmore because my wife wanted to go. Gotta make the wife hapy right? Lol...You'll like Alesund it's beautiful.....

Thank you again for all the details. It sounds like the exact thing we will do!!:):)

Thank you again for all the details. It sounds like the exact thing we will do!!:):)

You're welcome. Anyway, this is how you can tell if you are almost arrive at Sunnmore when taking the bus. Although the bus ride is about 10 to 15 mins from the pier and when you see the University campus on your left when riding the bus then the bus cross the very short length bridge and you'll be arriving at Sunnmore in seconds. The bus stop is right in front at Sunnmore and when we were there last week, only a few people there so you'll have the whole place by yourself. Bring a hat if you plan to walk back to the ship because no shady areas to walk and the sun is very strong. As I said earlier, we start walking from the ship around 1 PM for about 40 mins and my wife said lets take the bus and we hop on any bus and only took 5 mins to get there. We spent about an hour there and start walking back about 2:30 or 2:45 pm and back to the pier around 4 PM. It's a long walk but you get to see the neighborhood and with all the food we ate from the ship, it balances out perfectly. Have fun....

You're welcome. Anyway, this is how you can tell if you are almost arrive at Sunnmore when taking the bus. Although the bus ride is about 10 to 15 mins from the pier and when you see the University campus on your left when riding the bus then the bus cross the very short length bridge and you'll be arriving at Sunnmore in seconds. The bus stop is right in front at Sunnmore and when we were there last week, only a few people there so you'll have the whole place by yourself. Bring a hat if you plan to walk back to the ship because no shady areas to walk and the sun is very strong. As I said earlier, we start walking from the ship around 1 PM for about 40 mins and my wife said lets take the bus and we hop on any bus and only took 5 mins to get there. We spent about an hour there and start walking back about 2:30 or 2:45 pm and back to the pier around 4 PM. It's a long walk but you get to see the neighborhood and with all the food we ate from the ship, it balances out perfectly. Have fun....

Thank you so much for all the helpful information - now we're all set!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were just there, and did the Hop On Hop Off bus, which picks up right at the cruise port. The first stop is the open air museum. The second stop is Mt Alask (amazing view!); the bus drives to the top, so you don’t have to climb the stairs! The other stops are for the shopping center, the Art Nouveau area, etc. We had a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just there, and did the Hop On Hop Off bus, which picks up right at the cruise port. The first stop is the open air museum. The second stop is Mt Alask (amazing view!); the bus drives to the top, so you don’t have to climb the stairs!

did you get off at Mt Alask & how long until the next bus??

TIA

did you get off at Mt Alask & how long until the next bus??

TIA

The buses were every 30 minutes. I felt that 30 minutes was plenty of time to enjoy the view there...

Thanks

was there enough to see/do for 30 mins??

d53de91663bbcaadf6ce57f7f4b7d186.jpgHas

The view was so beautiful, I was entertained for that 30 minutes! There is also a cafe there, in case you needed coffee or something.

as

The view was so beautiful, I was entertained for that 30 minutes! There is also a cafe there, in case you needed coffee or something.

Thanks

sounds good

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of renting those emobility electric cars for here (Alesund) and Geiranger but the $75 an hour rate really puts me off, so it may be time to lace up the old hiking boots!! :)

• 1 month later...

For future reference, we took the public express boat (leaves mere feet from where NCL Jade docked) to Langevag and hiked up to Blafjellet. The roundtrip ticket was 105KR each and ride was 10 minutes. Ferry runs about every 30 minutes, but ever hour from about 11AM-1PM. Look up the trail head in advance, as we wondered around the little town (was enjoyable anyhow) for probably 20 minutes before locating it up the hill from the ferry station. Best views of our entire 11-day Norwegian Fjords cruise and not a single tourist was seen for the entire day, in spite of 2 ships (5K people) in port.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2018 at 2:27 PM, pghflyer said:

For future reference, we took the public express boat (leaves mere feet from where NCL Jade docked) to Langevag and hiked up to Blafjellet. The roundtrip ticket was 105KR each and ride was 10 minutes. Ferry runs about every 30 minutes, but ever hour from about 11AM-1PM. Look up the trail head in advance, as we wondered around the little town (was enjoyable anyhow) for probably 20 minutes before locating it up the hill from the ferry station. Best views of our entire 11-day Norwegian Fjords cruise and not a single tourist was seen for the entire day, in spite of 2 ships (5K people) in port.

Was looking for things to do in Alesund this summer and this hike sounds very interesting.

Do you remember how long the hike was  (or how long it took for the entire roundtrip to the dock at Alesund)?

How did you find out about it— do you have tips on finding good hikes near ports?

Thanks!

Hmm....looks to me like we spent about 2.5 hours over there (by looking at my picture timestamps), excluding the 10-minute ferry rides.  I just researched this forum and other sites for hikes.   Definitely always take your rain jacket and we appreciated having our hiking boots, as we probably hiked on half our ports.  

Here are my notes (definitely cribbed from other people giving advice) for Alesund:

In Ålesund, make sure you go to the Byparken (The Town Park) and walk the 418 steps up to Fjellstua / Kniven viewpoint (or Mt. Aksla viewpoint). The park is just behind Kulturhuset (concert hall) and Parken Hotel (15 minute walk). The only really convenient hike is Sukkertoppen (bus 618), 330 meters, and involves a bit more walking on rocks.

My favorite here is to cross the fjord by express boat (2061, 10 minute ride, every hour) to Langevag and go up Blafjellet (350 meters) or on to Vardane (750 meters). Both smooth walking on tractor paths. Excellent views from both destinations. (Roundtrip fare is available for 78 Krone.) I am mostly writing to recommend the area above Langevag for exercise and hiking, in my opinion one of the best hiking areas from any cruise port in Norway for the tourist/walker/hiker. The scenery is consistently more rewarding than the Floyen area above Bergen or the Bymarka of Trondheim. The main trails are less demanding than most of the Geiranger trails. Although not as dramatic in the final views, it is far less crowded than the trail to Pulpit Rock. In particular, the trail up to Blafjellet (which I had been looking at and for which you linked a website) is a perfect introductory tourist hike. Yes, uphill demanding, of course; it’s impossible to reach 344 meters without some exertion. But, once the trailhead is located, it is clearly marked, a smooth, wide gravel/dirt ATV or tractor trail, which could be walked with good athletic shoes. The views are consistently spectacular. There are even picnic tables in attractive spots along the way. For a tourist, I would have said Sukkertoppen was the best accessible little hike out of Alesund. But, Blafjellet is easier access (thanks to the convenience of the boat), less demanding underfoot, and rewards with equal or better distant vistas. 

A nice walk would be to cross Brosundet over to Apotekergaten and onto Moloveien with its tiny wooden houses. The must see site is the lighthouse. 

7 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Hmm....looks to me like we spent about 2.5 hours over there (by looking at my picture timestamps), excluding the 10-minute ferry rides.  I just researched this forum and other sites for hikes.   Definitely always take your rain jacket and we appreciated having our hiking boots, as we probably hiked on half our ports.  

Here are my notes (definitely cribbed from other people giving advice) for Alesund:

In Ålesund, make sure you go to the Byparken (The Town Park) and walk the 418 steps up to Fjellstua / Kniven viewpoint (or Mt. Aksla viewpoint). The park is just behind Kulturhuset (concert hall) and Parken Hotel (15 minute walk). The only really convenient hike is Sukkertoppen (bus 618), 330 meters, and involves a bit more walking on rocks.

My favorite here is to cross the fjord by express boat (2061, 10 minute ride, every hour) to Langevag and go up Blafjellet (350 meters) or on to Vardane (750 meters). Both smooth walking on tractor paths. Excellent views from both destinations. (Roundtrip fare is available for 78 Krone.) I am mostly writing to recommend the area above Langevag for exercise and hiking, in my opinion one of the best hiking areas from any cruise port in Norway for the tourist/walker/hiker. The scenery is consistently more rewarding than the Floyen area above Bergen or the Bymarka of Trondheim. The main trails are less demanding than most of the Geiranger trails. Although not as dramatic in the final views, it is far less crowded than the trail to Pulpit Rock. In particular, the trail up to Blafjellet (which I had been looking at and for which you linked a website) is a perfect introductory tourist hike. Yes, uphill demanding, of course; it’s impossible to reach 344 meters without some exertion. But, once the trailhead is located, it is clearly marked, a smooth, wide gravel/dirt ATV or tractor trail, which could be walked with good athletic shoes. The views are consistently spectacular. There are even picnic tables in attractive spots along the way. For a tourist, I would have said Sukkertoppen was the best accessible little hike out of Alesund. But, Blafjellet is easier access (thanks to the convenience of the boat), less demanding underfoot, and rewards with equal or better distant vistas. 

A nice walk would be to cross Brosundet over to Apotekergaten and onto Moloveien with its tiny wooden houses. The must see site is the lighthouse. 

Thanks very much for all this info!