Rock slides in Skagway

Sandi07054

A good example of why it is important to have a back-up plan in case your excursion gets cancelled. Weather conditions frequently cancel flight and sometimes boat excursions. Having another alternative can save you time and disappointment if something affects your original plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's scary if it happens all of the time!! We are suppose to go 6/9. Hope they get everything fixed by then!!

When you see it you will understand how it happens all the time. The train is right on the side of the cliff, any slide is going to close the tracks until cleared. But I would expect that they are used to this and how to clear it.

When you see it you will understand how it happens all the time. The train is right on the side of the cliff, any slide is going to close the tracks until cleared. But I would expect that they are used to this and how to clear it.

Based on what I read it was a damaged bridge.

I emailed Chilkoot and they replied that they’ve been told the train would b operational starting June 3. And if for some reason it’s closed, they will have reps at the dock with alternate tours for us to choose from.

There were two incidents in Skagway. On Wednesday before last there was a slide on the Railroad dock that closed the dock and the ship had to use tenders. This week a rock fell and damaged a bridge on the main train route, halting all operations.

This rock slide happened the day before our scheduled tour. HAL rescheduled us on a bus tour instead and refunded our onboard account $100 each. We actually saw more, I think than we would have seen on the train because we were able to stop and take pics of bears, moose etc. We even got over to Emerald Lake which we wouldn't have been able to see on the train. Saw the bridge out and they were working hard to get it open again. It was at mile 7 if that means anything to anyone.

This rock slide happened the day before our scheduled tour. HAL rescheduled us on a bus tour instead and refunded our onboard account $100 each. We actually saw more, I think than we would have seen on the train because we were able to stop and take pics of bears, moose etc. We even got over to Emerald Lake which we wouldn't have been able to see on the train. Saw the bridge out and they were working hard to get it open again. It was at mile 7 if that means anything to anyone.

Great that they were able to switch things around for you, and that it was enjoyable!

This is why the bus / train combo is recommended, when available. You get two different perspectives and get to experience the train but also get to see more with the bus as well. The train doesn’t stop for wildlife or photo opportunities, while the bus can.

On Wed, May 30, woke up to trains on the track(Princess) but we then got told train wasn't running due to rock slides so we had to go on a bus to Yukon side(extra), suspension bridge and then back to Skagway for Jewell Gardens. Bus driver was terrific, saw bears, went on planned excursions, took lots of photos, and got $90 each person back. Tho disappointed, we felt the day was terrific! Bus was usual, comfortable coach bus!

Does anyone know which dock was affected by the rock slides? We are on the Solstice shortly and just wondering if they are the ones tendering.

Thank you in advance.

Rocks are on the train tracks, not the docks.

Rocks are on the train tracks, not the docks.

Actually there were 2 rock slides, neither had rocks on the tracks.

The first slide closed the railroad dock and some ships did tender. I believe the dock has re-opened.

http://skagwaynews.com/2018/05/24/rockfall-leads-to-tentative-closure-at-railroad-dock/

The second slide damaged a railroad bridge and it’s supports, but was not on the tracks. The bridge was repaired and the trains are running now.

http://skagwaynews.com/2018/06/04/white-pass-train-service-cancelled-2/

It is not uncommon for rockslides to close the railroad dock:

https://www.ktoo.org/2017/09/05/second-skagway-rockslide-2-weeks-ships-relocated/