Narrowing down the cruise line

sjde

Our grandson was only 3 months old when we left on our previous world cruise, which was booked well before he was planned. So no, it is never easy leaving for an extended period, but these days you have many abilities to keep in touch.

When I departed to sea back in the 70's for anywhere from 4 to 9 months, we left and generally never saw or heard from family until my return. These days, even on a cruise ship we Sykpe with our grandson every couple of weeks.

I well remember when my mum set out in the mid-70's for a 5 month, round the world freighter trip. I guess she sent us letters or postcards, but we had no real way of getting in touch with her, as I remember, maybe we did. When I did Europe in 1970 for 9 months, there were letters crossing the pond in both directions, lengthy ones, and postale restante at various American Express outposts.

I'm impressed that you can Skype. Many cruise lines throttle that kind of broadband activity.

It’s funny how just a few decades ago, we’d travel overseas and be out of touch for weeks or months at a time. And we survived. Nowadays we become completely panicked if we’re not able to communicate 24/7. Kinda funny really, how dependent we’ve become.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you don’t mind me asking what sort of age group is it on a world cruise

Most are 60+ and retired but there are always a few younger and some that take a leave of absence from work or are able to telecommute. If segments are available it is more likely that you will get some younger and possibly a family or two.

On this year's HAL GWV the majority of the people were in the 65-75 range.