Deployment 2020-21 booking season begins

A post on one of our threads here https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56536537&postcount=3 makes it seem like there will be an Oasis-class ship will be in Galveston for the 2020 season.

The Galveston newspaper has been reporting for months that RCCL is pushing the port of Galveston to get ready for an Oasis-class ship, and it looks like the port and the cruise line are nearing a deal. No one has any insight into whether this would be an addition, or whether Liberty and/or Vision would leave.

Having sailed out of Galveston numerous times, I question the town's ability to absorb any more passengers on departure/arrival day for the cruise ships. The port might be ready, but the town itself, IMO, is not. Support services like taxis have been at a premium -- hit or miss -- for a long time. When you factor in the intermittent fog from December-March, it does not create a pleasant experience.

Speaking from personal experience.:rolleyes:

TAs typically have big price drops inside final payment. You may want to move up your plans for older ships, Vision might not be in the fleet by '22.

Biker, who thinks at least one older ship will go by the time Icon arrives in '22.

Officers last year on Rhapsody were under the impression it is that ship. :o

There has been a rumour for the last year that Rhapsody or Grandeur were up for sale so I am going on Rhapsody in November. I did get to sail on Splendour before she left the fleet but I still regret missing out sailing on Legend. Id say Enchantment will stay the course due to the expansion refit.

Other ports of departure are available :)
Do enlighten me on which other UK ports Royal sails from please?

We used to have Harwich as well but even those sailings were repeat round trip itineraries.

I'm getting too old to keep sailing to the same old places... Lol.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

We used to have Harwich as well but even those sailings were repeat round trip itineraries.

It has been Southampton only for the last few years I'm afraid. It is less expensive to fly to Europe to get on a ship than it is for me to sail from Southampton.

There has been a rumour for the last year that Rhapsody or Grandeur were up for sale so I am going on Rhapsody in November. I did get to sail on Splendour before she left the fleet but I still regret missing out sailing on Legend. Id say Enchantment will stay the course due to the expansion refit.

I missed out on Splendour...sadly....but I did enjoy Legend before she was sold, and even got the crystal block! :)

I agree...the "Enstretchment" will probably be the last to go. Wish we could keep her here in PC.

We are booked for Rhapsody this January, and again February 2020...or so I hope. :o

Very interesting development with the announcement today of NCL to send Norwegian Joy- which has been built specifically for the chinese market- to sail year round from the west coast in 2019. Wondering how RC will react to this move.

Very interesting development with the announcement today of NCL to send Norwegian Joy- which has been built specifically for the chinese market- to sail year round from the west coast in 2019. Wondering how RC will react to this move.

The Chinese bookings would have to really suffer for RCI to modify any of the current plans through 2020. It is interesting to see that NCL thinks there's enough demand on the West Coast for that ship/itinerary.

Not other ports. There are lots of ports around the world Royal sails out of. If you're bored of the same trips out of Southampton then try somewhere else.

The Chinese bookings would have to really suffer for RCI to modify any of the current plans through 2020. It is interesting to see that NCL thinks there's enough demand on the West Coast for that ship/itinerary.

They are thinking the Bliss and Joy can take the steam out of the Ovation.

I don't agree because the Ovation has a covered pool and the great Seaplex for fun as well as the Solarium. I have been on the Anthem and the NCL Bliss and I love the Anthem and the Bliss - oh just okay.

Is there a medical reason you can't flight to Amsterdam?

The French Media a few months ago quoted CEO Richard Fain “ Australia should have an Oasis Class ship by 2020’

This will be interesting to see if it happens.

Allure after dry dock would be the easiest to move to this region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On my 12 nite Anthem Carib. cruise, the Captain at the Q&A mentioned the possibility of Oasis class sailing from NJ. Maybe as a stop gap until one of the Q class is available.

The only problem with the Q 5 (Passion OTS) is where will the LNG be stored to power Q 4 (Pulse OTS) & 5.

Not other ports. There are lots of ports around the world Royal sails out of. If you're bored of the same trips out of Southampton then try somewhere else.
I have, I Do, trouble is they also have the self same problem of repeat itineraries to ports and countries that I've mostly been to multiple times.

On my 12 nite Anthem Carib. cruise, the Captain at the Q&A mentioned the possibility of Oasis class sailing from NJ. Maybe as a stop gap until one of the Q class is available.

The only problem with the Q 5 (Passion OTS) is where will the LNG be stored to power Q 4 (Pulse OTS) & 5.

Don't see any reason for an Oasis Class to sail from NJ. They don't function well in the cold, so that eliminates half of the year. They can't fit into Bermuda, so that would leave the Bahamas itineraries or longer Caribbean sailings during the summer (which currently are not offered). I don't see it happening.

This is from an article about how Carnival plans to deal with LNG. I suspect Royal will do this as well.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19327-new-technology-carnival-lng-bunkering.html

“Because of the volume we are going to consume, LNG will be supplied by a bunker vessel,” he continued. “Shell already has a bunker vessel, the Cardissa, based out of Rotterdam, and has another vessel under contract that is currently being adapted to bunkering.

“There are only six bunkering vessels for LNG in the world of which two will be dedicated to our trade going forward.”

A barge is under construction for bunkering in South Florida that will be ready by the first quarter of 2021.

This is from an article about how Carnival plans to deal with LNG. I suspect Royal will do this as well.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19327-new-technology-carnival-lng-bunkering.html

“Because of the volume we are going to consume, LNG will be supplied by a bunker vessel,” he continued. “Shell already has a bunker vessel, the Cardissa, based out of Rotterdam, and has another vessel under contract that is currently being adapted to bunkering.

“There are only six bunkering vessels for LNG in the world of which two will be dedicated to our trade going forward.”

A barge is under construction for bunkering in South Florida that will be ready by the first quarter of 2021.

Wont Edge be out before that. I thought she was LNG

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Why?

Because you are complaining about repeated cruises from Southampton. Which I can sympathise with, if like us you could only sail from Southampton. My DS cannot fly for medical reason and my DF can only short haul flights for medical reasons. That is why I asked if there was a reason you could not take a short flight to a different port.

Because you are complaining about repeated cruises from Southampton. Which I can sympathise with, if like us you could only sail from Southampton. My DS cannot fly for medical reason and my DF can only short haul flights for medical reasons. That is why I asked if there was a reason you could not take a short flight to a different port.
Ah I see. No medical reason and tbh the only stop on ex Amsterdam itineraries we haven't been to multiple times is Tallin and taking a cruise just to visit is a really expensive way of doing that. The times we have sailed out of Amsterdam we have used the Railsail via Harwich outwards and train back via Eurostar.

Yes, I read your link, but the bigger question is where do you think this vessel will be located to supply these ships--at sea, one of the islands as I'm sure there will be some major pushback from certain segments of the population.

There was a plan to build a pipeline off Asbury Park, NJ but there was so much consternation and criticism that if was stopped.

As mentioned above, the first RCI ship which will be LNG is Icon, not due till '22. Q4 (Spectrum) and Q5 (no name yet - due in late '20) are not LNG.

Yes, I read your link, but the bigger question is where do you think this vessel will be located to supply these ships--at sea, one of the islands as I'm sure there will be some major pushback from certain segments of the population.

There was a plan to build a pipeline off Asbury Park, NJ but there was so much consternation and criticism that if was stopped.

I think Jacksonville has an LNG terminal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk