Viking Sineus - Ukraine

peasmith

7 hours ago, Nanna Fru said:

We were there in Sept this year, and had temperatures around the low 20's on many days. A couple of cooler days, but most did not require a jacket.

Good to know about the temperatures you had in September as that is the month we will be there in 2020. Knowing what to pack to be comfortable is always a concern. Was there rain during your visit?

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2019 at 4:05 AM, Glorybe said:

Good to know about the temperatures you had in September as that is the month we will be there in 2020. Knowing what to pack to be comfortable is always a concern. Was there rain during your visit?

Sorry for the late response. Some rain but we were quite lucky.  Take a raincoat and Viking provide umbrellas if needed.  It looks like the itinerary has changed a lot this year,  hope you enjoy the trio.  Recommend a walk to the Friendship Arch in Kiev,  and then cross the bridge to the beach.  If you are there on a Sunday it's a wonderful walk amongst the locals.  Enjoy the Cossack show it's great.  

• 2 weeks later...

When does Viking want passengers to be on the Viking Sineus on departure day? Our departure day will be a Sunday, Sept 13.  

One flight we are thinking of taking lands Sept 13 at 1:30pm in Kiev airport. We should be ready to leave the airport by 2:30 and could be on the Viking ship by 3ish. We will be doing our own transfers as we won't be buying air with Viking.

This will be a long flight for us - 17 hours. Should we consider instead arriving on Sept 12 and booking a hotel overnight? We would then most likely stay at the Hilton in Kiev. What hotel did you use for a pre or post cruise stay in Kiev?

Day 1- 3 are in Kiev. Day 1 includes the welcome dinner. We like to get the info given during that welcome talk, but may be too sleepy to attend. Day 2 and Day 3 start off with sightseeing, probably in the morning with PM free or with choice of optional excursions.

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Last year Viking did the pre in Istanbul, so we flew into Kiev mid day and were over jet lag. 

There was a very brief walking tour just around the port area that afternoon.

If you arrive early and want to rest in your cabin you might be up to the welcome talk. 

I find it's easier for me to power through the first day going to bed right after dinner.

13 hours ago, Glorybe said:

When does Viking want passengers to be on the Viking Sineus on departure day? Our departure day will be a Sunday, Sept 13.  

One flight we are thinking of taking lands Sept 13 at 1:30pm in Kiev airport. We should be ready to leave the airport by 2:30 and could be on the Viking ship by 3ish. We will be doing our own transfers as we won't be buying air with Viking.

This will be a long flight for us - 17 hours. Should we consider instead arriving on Sept 12 and booking a hotel overnight? We would then most likely stay at the Hilton in Kiev. What hotel did you use for a pre or post cruise stay in Kiev?

Day 1- 3 are in Kiev. Day 1 includes the welcome dinner. We like to get the info given during that welcome talk, but may be too sleepy to attend. Day 2 and Day 3 start off with sightseeing, probably in the morning with PM free or with choice of optional excursions.

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Since your ship is remaining in Kyiv for three days, it does not really matter what time you arrive at the ship but if you are arriving after 6pm and are coming in on your own, you should probably let them know your expected arrival time (tell them what time your plane arrives and let them figure the rest).

YES, definitely consider an overnight stay either in your connecting city in Europe or in Kyiv; your body will thank you profusely. Viking was using the Radisson Blu in Kyiv when we did the trip in 2012 (or was it 2013) and it was a very nice hotel at that time. Still, personally, I would go for the overnight along the way. (It is a shame that Viking is no longer offering a pre-cruise in Kyiv; we really enjoyed wandering around the city. Prior to war with Russia, they had been putting a lot of effort into restoring the gems of the city.)

Your estimate for arrival at the ship is fairly accurate, but then again we are talking Ukraine and they seem to do things at their own pace and in their own way. Since you are booking your own flights and if you are arriving on Sept 13, at least look into buying Viking transfers as part of your "How do I get from the airport to the dock/hotel?" search.

On 1/15/2020 at 11:07 PM, Glorybe said:

This year the cruise has changed. Instead of ending in Odessa it ends in Tulcea, Romania and then you are bussed via Constanta, where you are served lunch, to Bucharest.

According to the UK site, the first Ukraine tour doesn't start till May so no one will have done this itinerary to answer you till then.

Suggest you use Google Maps to find out how long it takes to drive from Tulcea, Romania to Constanta, add 40 minutes for slower coach travel and assume a lunch time of 1200 and 1300, then subtract the estimated coach time; that'll be the latest time you leave the boat. 

As I recall you have to check out of your cabin by 0900 on all itineraries.

Bucharest is not a bad airport to fly from - be grateful you are flying into Kiev, rather than from Kiev!!

13 hours ago, pogo50 said:

The worst experience I ever had was flying out of Odessa. 

I didn't fly out of Odessa, but if it's like you say, like a 50s rural airport, then it has to be better than Kiev even tho' both are in Ukraine. But tours that start in Kiev from 2020  will fly out of Bucharest not Odessa. This is an extract from my detailed report on the Sineus trip.

Airports: We flew from London on Lot Polish airlines. We were concerned about making the 90 minute connection at Warsaw but we did and our bags arrived at Odessa. (Make sure you follow signs for transfers – don’t follow other passengers through immigration). About a dozen people on pre-cruise extensions didn’t receive their bags till the second afternoon. I don’t have details; I think some came from Vienna on Austrian air.

We left from Kiev airport. This is unpleasant. It took 50-55 minutes to get to airport from ship. Then to get into airport you have to queue to lift your bags onto X-ray machine and go through security scanner. Viking have staff there and they directed the coach to the far entrance where the queue was much less. 

After checking in you have to go through security. Then you get to passport control. There were 10 desks open with such long lines that they took up the entire hall and it was hard to find the end of a queue. The lines moved at a glacial pace. Although the lines were wide with groups, people – even kids – had to go separately to the desk. Reason seems that for Ukrainians a passport is not enough; they need supporting documentation. Some have it ready in their hands; others have to search for it when they get to desk. Then officer has to read the certificates etc. 

I strongly suggest that the Viking bus group sticks together in one queue. The first person won’t be seen any quicker, but the rest will because foreigners just need to get a stamp in their passport.

There is a fast line both here and the preceding security, sponsored by Mastercard. But you can only pay for this with a Mastercard issued by a Ukrainian bank. Business Class flyers can’t use fast line.

Once you’ve wasted so much time hopefully you won’t have missed your flight. Airside is quite good, with a selection of restaurants and shops

I used Bucharest airport a few weeks before and that was a dream compared with Kiev. If I do this cruise again, I will go the opposite way; I won’t depart from Kiev.

You can red my whole report on page 8 of this thread

Arriving at the Kiev airport - What was your experience like in terms of going thru passport and customs inspection after retrieving your luggage? Long wait lines? We will be arriving in the afternoon - around 2ish - on a Sunday in September, perhaps very tired after a 15 hour flight. 

23 hours ago, Glorybe said:

Arriving at the Kiev airport - What was your experience like

If this question is to me, I can't answer as I flew into Odessa and out of Kiev. I don't recall any issues at Odessa

We flew into Kiev, passport control was a bit of a nightmare. We were behind some people from I can't remember where, but they all needed fingerprint identification and it took forever, also communication seemed to be a  issue. We were getting really fed up! When it came to us, just look at the passport, a stamp and through, dead easy! The bus trip to the boat was about an hour, I think, nothing exciting, but nice to get a sighting of Kiev from afar.

We then flew out of Odessa, a big hark back to 1960s, very basic airport. I know no airport seats are comfortable, but these were dire! No real facilities to help pass the time.

As I have said before on this thread, Ukraine is barely ready for tourism. Yes I'm glad we went, but I wont be rushing back.

If you fly via Warsaw, be prepared to go through very stringent security between flights, without even leaving airside! People who had bottled water off the first flight has it confiscated. Why? It really was beyond comprehension.

Edited by old biddy

Have really appreciated all these posts and reviews on this cruise.  I am still reading all of it.  

We have a booking reserved for May 2021.  We were given room 300.  Has anyone any information about this room.  It is right by the reception area I think.  Noise issues?   It is close to the restaurant which may be a good thing!!

We have traveled on 2 other Viking cruises and many ocean cruises  (although not Viking)  Haven't been to this part of the world and are looking forward to visiting these places.

Thank you for any other bits of information that you feel useful.

5 hours ago, highland cruiser said:

We were given room 300.  Has anyone any information about this room.  It is right by the reception area I think

Have you looked at the deck plan?* 300 is as far from reception as it's possible to be on the middle deck. But it is closest to the restaurant.

Reception is on the deck below yours, at the other end of the boat.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk/ships/ukraine/viking-sineus.html

1 hour ago, Glorybe said:

I would like to know what currency you used to tip crew/staff on Viking Sineus

None; gratuities were included. We used Euros for drivers and guides. As per my review on page 8 of this thread the same drivers and guides were used throughout the trip.

But 2020 has a portion in Romania so maybe there a different coach is used.

I always prepay the tips if possible, as part of what I am paying for the trip. That way no exchange rate. The bus drivers were not included in this prepaid group gratuity as they do not work for Viking. I tipped (overtipped) them is US $. I say overtipped because I tipped $1 per bus ride, in US cash to whatever driver we rode with that day, and that seemed to be a lot compared with their monthly earnings. But it was easy for me and they seemed happy with it. 

4 hours ago, pontac said:

Have you looked at the deck plan?* 300 is as far from reception as it's possible to be on the middle deck. But it is closest to the restaurant.

Reception is on the deck below yours, at the other end of the boat.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk/ships/ukraine/viking-sineus.html

Thank you for setting me straight.  I looked quickly when we received our booking.  I was thinking of the longships when I saw the little sitting area and thought that was the reception.  You are correct.  Should be an ok room.

Appreciate your post. 

16 hours ago, pontac said:

None; gratuities were included. We used Euros for drivers and guides. As per my review on page 8 of this thread the same drivers and guides were used throughout the trip.

But 2020 has a portion in Romania so maybe there a different coach is used.

One thing that I noticed on our 2012 adventure was the buses and the drivers. They drove us around all day and when they were done with us, they still had to drive to our next destination -- and considering that our first stop after leaving Odessa was Sevastopol on the Crimean peninsula (no longer on the itinerary), an 8 hour drive away, they had a long day. Still, they had time to keep the buses clean inside and out.

3 hours ago, pontac said:

@highland cruiser Mary - the boat is not a Longship, it's a Russian built boat reconditioned to Viking standards and you'll recognise many touches.

However they couldn't do anything about the steepness of the stairs, hence I often used the lift.

Yes, I did read that as we were starting to look. But wasn’t clued into the layout when our  TA sent us the booking to consider.  Also read about the stairs.  I usually only take stairs on ships but may make an exception on this boat. 😊

we are waiting to hear back from out TA about the air promotion.  Last time we used it  Viking  worked with us as we have a preferred airline.  Don’t some research on that ourselves to see how to get to Kiev.  Flying is always the fun part!

thank you for your information.

2 hours ago, pontac said:

Hopefully your connections to Kiev/Bucharest won't be too awkward.

The reason Viking changed the itinerary in 2020 is the difficulty of air connections with Odessa

Just thinking out loud. I wonder if there is also now a possibility of doing a B2B with the Bucharest to Budapest itinerary.