Viking Sineus - Ukraine

peasmith

We travelled on the Odessa to Kiev route earlier this month (July 2018) and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We flew from UK to Vienna with Austrian Air for a pre cruise extension, which was wonderful. The Intercontinental Hotel was in an excellent location for all the sights. If staying there try to get a park view room as they are very comfortable. We flew Austrian Air again to Odessa.The Viking Sineus is a very comfortable ship, spotlessly clean and the cabins are quite spacious, relatively speaking.The bathroom does have a curtain over the shower but we didn't find it a problem. Our cabin stewardess kept the cabin spotless and even if you didn't leave the towels on the floor they still got changed. Our cabin (400) had a window and patio door. I noticed that the cabins on deck3 and in the middle of deck4 only had patio doors. There was plenty of space for belongings and the suitcases fitted easily under the bed. Our cabin was at the back of the ship but there was no vibration or engine noise even when the ship was travelling overnight. I wouldn't have any concerns about travelling on this ship.

The crew were very pleasant and helpful.Yes, some of the dining room staff seemed a bit apprehensive but after a couple of days they relaxed and did a very good job. It was almost as if they had to get used to the next set of guests. Everybody spoke good English and with a smile.

As has been previously said 4 coaches and 4 guides travelled with the ship. You were allocated a coach for an excursion and that coach had a guide. However we preferred Nina to be our guide as she was so clear and didn't overload you with too much info. ( That's our preference)

If you decide to do all the included excursions then the only places where you really have free time in Odessa and Kiev. The other places are mostly driving city tours. There is an excursion from Odessa to visit a fort but it is a long drive and you don't really have much time there. However it is interesting to see the countryside and hear about the country. There have been questions posed here re ATMs. The day we arrived in Odessa there were guided walks as an intro to the city (This is not published in the Viking Booklet) On this walk the guide takes you to an ATM closest to the ship. She also points out the money exchange booths so you have the opportunity to exchange straight away. (This was in Odessa). We exchanged some money but didn't really have the opportunity to spend it. Market stalls are happy to take US$.

Credit cards are widely accepted in restaurants and cafes. However 2 beers in Kiev only cost £1.50 equivalent.

On this trip the UK passengers outnumbered all the other nationalities. We were well represented by the 4 nations..Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English. Others were from Canada, US and Mexico.

The excursions were all very well organised and ran like clockwork. We went on the optional excursion to the Opera House in Odessa. It was an nice evening...however if you just want to see the inside the Opera House ( and it's worth visiting) then you can take a daily guided tour. The ship can give you info on times, cost and when the tour is in English, if you ask. It is a short walk from the ship.

The food was OK with a local menu available each evening. However the kitchen seemed to be having problems and sometimes there was quite a delay between the starter and the main course...but we were on holiday having a good time with our table companions so there was no problem, as far as we were concerned.

Evening entertainment's very low key and sometimes it was not to our taste, but each to his own.

Our return journey was with BA to LHR and then to Scotland.

We enjoyed the cruise and the ship. It was fascinating to travel in Ukraine and to learn about its past and recent history. Also we felt totally safe travelling around Odessa and Kiev on our own.

For those who have already booked....hope you have an amazing time

Thank you for the great review and so glad you enjoyed the cruise.

We leave Saturday and we are looking forward to it. My only question I have is we are booked for the opera and wondered if it was dressy?

Kathy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the great review and so glad you enjoyed the cruise.

We leave Saturday and we are looking forward to it. My only question I have is we are booked for the opera and wondered if it was dressy?

Kathy

We did the Opera in 2012. Dress shirt and khakis will be fine (and feminine equivalent).

Word of warning: just because there are empty seats when the show starts does not mean that that particular seat has not been sold. We made that mistake and had to move when the ticket holders arrived.

Also, the seats that Viking bought were not that great (because they were trying to buy them all together), so you may want to try to buy your own seats). Except for climbing the Potemkin Steps, the walk to the Opera House is lovely.

This is where we sat (sorry, not enough light for a good picture):

enhance

This is a view from near where we sat. We could hear and we could see the stage (but it was a long way away; wish I had brought opera glasses). BTW, this might also give you an idea as to what to wear:

enhance

More about the Odessa Opera house. The schedule is available online here: http://opera.odessa.ua/en/tickets/?date=201808 It is in English. The website is a lot of fun, so do follow some of the links to the details about the various performances.

Now that I am thinking more about the performance we saw, I do not believe that we were given programs, so no synopsis of the opera, no idea who was singing, etc (besides which it would have all been written in cyrillic alphabet).

According to the website the dress code is as follows:

DEAR VISITORS!

Attending the theatre please keep in mind that there is a
DRESS CODE
. Please dress up, as visitors wearing shorts, t-shirts, vests, clothes and shoes for sport and beach
WILL NOT BE ADMITTED
into the theatre.

CHILDREN UNDER SEVEN
will not be admitted into auditoriums for the evening performances. Children of all ages are welcome into auditoriums for the children’s performances

The page includes a schedule for August. There are both opera and ballet performances.

More about the Odessa Opera house. The schedule is available online here: http://opera.odessa.ua/en/tickets/?date=201808 It is in English. The website is a lot of fun, so do follow some of the links to the details about the various performances.

Now that I am thinking more about the performance we saw, I do not believe that we were given programs, so no synopsis of the opera, no idea who was singing, etc (besides which it would have all been written in cyrillic alphabet).

According to the website the dress code is as follows:

DEAR VISITORS!

Attending the theatre please keep in mind that there is a
DRESS CODE
. Please dress up, as visitors wearing shorts, t-shirts, vests, clothes and shoes for sport and beach
WILL NOT BE ADMITTED
into the theatre.

CHILDREN UNDER SEVEN
will not be admitted into auditoriums for the evening performances. Children of all ages are welcome into auditoriums for the children’s performances

The page includes a schedule for August. There are both opera and ballet performances.

Thank you, this was very helpful.

As Peregrina651 says the dress code is smart casual. My husband did not wear a jacket nor did many of the other men. The ladies dressed a wee bit fancier but not too OTT. I had been keen to see a performance in the Opera House and not in another venue and had asked Viking for confirmation that our evening would be in the Opera House. As I didn't get that assurance we did not book in advance. Once onboard it was confirmed that the venue was the Opera House but on a different date so we then booked. Some passengers had prebooked and on the evening found that they did not have good seats ( Very similar to those in Peregrina651's photo) Those of us who booked later had excellent seats. Luckily Michel, the cruise director, managed to move the people with bad seats to a better location.

We saw Giselle.... but a modern interpretation... It was very different from the norm but enjoyable. As has been said there were no programs available and so it was a wee bit confusing to follow the action. However Olga, one of the guides, gave a good description during the interval.The second half was self explanatory Make sure you explore the staircases in the theatre during the interval.

Viking supplied snacks before the performance and then a light meal afterwards.

Our seats were in the stalls about a third way up from the stage and in the centre of the theatre. Couldn't have picked better myself. We were given our tickets onboard, so the seats were assigned before we went.

Hope this helps.

As Peregrina651 says the dress code is smart casual. My husband did not wear a jacket nor did many of the other men. The ladies dressed a wee bit fancier but not too OTT. I had been keen to see a performance in the Opera House and not in another venue and had asked Viking for confirmation that our evening would be in the Opera House. As I didn't get that assurance we did not book in advance. Once onboard it was confirmed that the venue was the Opera House but on a different date so we then booked. Some passengers had prebooked and on the evening found that they did not have good seats ( Very similar to those in Peregrina651's photo) Those of us who booked later had excellent seats. Luckily Michel, the cruise director, managed to move the people with bad seats to a better location.

We saw Giselle.... but a modern interpretation... It was very different from the norm but enjoyable. As has been said there were no programs available and so it was a wee bit confusing to follow the action. However Olga, one of the guides, gave a good description during the interval.The second half was self explanatory Make sure you explore the staircases in the theatre during the interval.

Our seats were in the stalls about a third way up from the stage and in the centre of the theatre. Couldn't have picked better myself. We were given our tickets onboard, so the seats were assigned before we went.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for getting back to us. I sure we will enjoy the cruise .

Thank you for all the reviews. Looking Forward to our August 25th cruise. We did book the Opera House in Odessa. It will be interesting to see. This will be a first for me. My wife has already been to Ukraine a few times because of her work. I happen to be of Ukrainian parents that came to the United States to have a better life. They came in the legal .....correct way!! I went to Saturday Ukrainian School to learn the language and history and culture just like if you have ever seen the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" Movie: I can totally relate to that movie!!! I speak and read and write and think as does my wife in Ukrainian......so that it will be a real FUN trip for me because I have met a lot of Ukrainians in the United States and they cannot believe me when I say I was not born there but here ..because I speak it so well like a native.

SO: "Майте ЗАБАВНИЙ ЧАС!" or in English "Have a FUN TIME!!" on all of your cruises!!!!

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this valuable information. Based on what I understood you to say, should I cancel my pre-booked Odessa Opera House excursion and rebook it when I get on the ship so that I can get better seats?. Is the cost the same?? Thanks again ;):D

Thank you for this valuable information. Based on what I understood you to say, should I cancel my pre-booked Odessa Opera House excursion and rebook it when I get on the ship so that I can get better seats?. Is the cost the same?? Thanks again ;):D

We are in Kiev, the first day of the cruise. We have pre booked for the Opera so we talked to Oliver who is in charge of our excursions, he told us we will have good seats, in the center towards the front. We will be going on August 13th so I will let you know.

We are in Kiev, the first day of the cruise. We have pre booked for the Opera so we talked to Oliver who is in charge of our excursions, he told us we will have good seats, in the center towards the front. We will be going on August 13th so I will let you know.

Thank you Kathy. It looks like you will be getting off in Odessa August 15th, the same day we get on. ;p I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to this. We only have a few days left to make changes before the cruise. So your recommendation is to keep the "pre booked Opera House"? I guess you won't know for sure until the 13th, but it sounds like they are booking better seats for the pre-booked than on earlier cruises. Hope you have a wonderful trip!! :cool:

Thanks so much for the updates :D Sydney

Enjoy your cruises!

I moved from Ukraine to US at 24 in 1996.

Things are not easy in Ukraine right now, but country is beautiful and very affordable to travel.

Has anyone done the Optional Tour - "Traditional Ukrainian Dinner at the Tsarske Selo restaurant", located in the former gunpowder storage facility of the Pechersky Fortress? Just wondering if it is worth $79pp for dinner??

Aside from the Opera House, we have not signed up for any other optional tours. Just want to know if there is an optional tour that we "should not miss"?? ;-)

Thanks for your recommendations.

The problem with cancelling is that there might not be availability nearer the time. Perhaps you could speak to the Tour Director and voice your concerns as soon as you get onboard and hopefully he will make sure you have decent seats.

Paying on board you need to pay in local currency but it was much the same as the £ price.

Has anyone done the Optional Tour - "Traditional Ukrainian Dinner at the Tsarske Selo restaurant", located in the former gunpowder storage facility of the Pechersky Fortress? Just wondering if it is worth $79pp for dinner??

Aside from the Opera House, we have not signed up for any other optional tours. Just want to know if there is an optional tour that we "should not miss"?? ;-)

Thanks for your recommendations.

It's an interesting choice of restaurant for Ukrainian dinner as Tsarskoe Selo is literally Tzars Village which is not only Russian, but is located near St Petersburg. Odessa is overall isn't very if at all ethnically Ukrainian city of course now things might have changed and some or even majority of population is pro-Ukraine.

To me it's a very high cost excursion unless it's a very fancy restaurant

It's an interesting choice of restaurant for Ukrainian dinner as Tsarskoe Selo is literally Tzars Village which is not only Russian, but is located near St Petersburg. Odessa is overall isn't very if at all ethnically Ukrainian city of course now things might have changed and some or even majority of population is pro-Ukraine.

To me it's a very high cost excursion unless it's a very fancy restaurant

Thank you :)

We didn't go on the dinner excursion but others did and they enjoyed it. However there was no folkloric dancing, but Viking had told them this before they went.

Thank you :) How is your cruise going?? Are you pleased with everything so far??:confused:

We did this cruise a few weeks ago in early July and really enjoyed the experience. We took all the included excursions and also the evening to Odessa Opera House. Everything was as you would expect from Viking.

What were the highlights of the cruise? What are, in your opinion, the must-sees?

Thank you Kathy. It looks like you will be getting off in Odessa August 15th, the same day we get on. ;p I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to this. We only have a few days left to make changes before the cruise. So your recommendation is to keep the "pre booked Opera House"? I guess you won't know for sure until the 13th, but it sounds like they are booking better seats for the pre-booked than on earlier cruises. Hope you have a wonderful trip!! :cool:

Thanks so much for the updates :D Sydney

There is a change of plans for our trip to the opera. Not sure of the reason but we cannot go to the Opera on the 13th instead we are going to a ballet at the opera House on the 12th.

The cruise has been great so far. The crew are very friendly and all speak English, some better than others. We have enjoyed all the excursions and on a couple they gave us the option to walk instead of taking the bus. Viking is listening to the comments and making changes where possible.

The weather has been great.

There is a change of plans for our trip to the opera. Not sure of the reason but we cannot go to the Opera on the 13th instead we are going to a ballet at the opera House on the 12th.

The cruise has been great so far. The crew are very friendly and all speak English, some better than others. We have enjoyed all the excursions and on a couple they gave us the option to walk instead of taking the bus. Viking is listening to the comments and making changes where possible.

Kathy, I just looked at the Odessa Opera House schedule and they are dark on Monday nights, no shows, so Sunday night it will have to be.

The ballet is called "Mystery of the Vienna Woods." I looked for information about the production but nothing in English. I wanted to copy the synopsis from the Opera House website but it wouldn't work so here is the link to the page: http://opera.odessa.ua/en/productions/ballets/mystery-of-the-vienna-woods.html#1566.

The only thing that I can figure is that is a newer production using music by Mahler and Johann Strauss, the Younger. No idea when it was first staged or who the choreographer is, etc. However, the venue is beautiful and the dancing should be splendid. Have a wonderful evening.

Just returned from the opera and our seats were 7 rows front the front, couldn’t have asked for better! It was a great night !