New US cancellation fee for 2020 cruises

laurieb

I apologize if this has already been brought up but I haven't seen it.

I just booked a 2020 cruise and was informed that the US cancellation fee will increase from 50.00 pp to 75.00 pp. Not really significant, but something to be aware of. I'm not really sure if it's just going to be for 2020 and beyond, or if it will be implemented sooner for 2019 too.

Lucky you.

In UK we have a nonrefundable deposit of approx $700 and if we see a price drop we forfeit this to rebook at lower price.

something wrong some where,different rules for different countries

We’re told it’s because different countries have different laws and protections. In the U.K. we have very good consumer protection.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never understood why that means that we lose the full amount of our deposits in the UK if we cancel or change our cruises?

I have never understood why that means that we lose the full amount of our deposits in the UK if we cancel or change our cruises?

Probably the cruise lines and holiday companies using the law to their advantage.

I think it’s historical more than legislation, for as long as I can remember going back to package holiday days cancellation has always resulted in loss of deposit. So if that’s the norm in the marketplace why would you change it if it works in your favour? Years ago Silverseas allowed cancellation without penalty but that’s no longer the case.

Don’t think we are ever going to see it change more likely gradually over a period of time it will be introduced into the North American market.

Riocca,

Exactly, a nice little earner for the cartel of Uk travel companies but now there is far more international travel and booking via various methods i.e. usa travel agents/online etc. it is anachronistic nowadays.

Additionally if you pay £100 deposit by credit card you have the banks protection behind you as well as ATOL and ABTA

This ability to change without penalty would be a good addition to the 2 most loyal tiers as you would not feel ripped off for booking early and loyally.

I believe it was uktog that was not "chuffed" that despite top tier and booking onboard a later booker was able to get a price £2000 cheaper.

It is things like this that may break the camel's back

I think ABTA & ATOL are probably part of why we have higher cancellation fees. Other countries don’t have this level of consumer protection. However, I guess we have the option of booking through a US TA and getting US terms. We then wouldn’t have ATOL and/or ABTA protection.

Thanks Grandma cruising.

I am not sure it is a requirement of either ABTA or ATOL to MAKE companies charge differential cancellation fees for UK.

A USA member is allowed to cancel at nominal cost vs ridiculous cost in UK.

It may be that like bank charges they may have to be challenged in court as "unreasonable."

It cannot "cost " £700 to take a name off a list these days.

The banks only charge £12 for a letter.

Royal Caribbean is an international company and it certainly NOT a "requirement" in UK to penalise cancellation in this way.

It is merely a hangover from days when travel companies were far more focussed on home markets rather than international organisations like TUI Carnival Costa etc.

I think ABTA & ATOL are probably part of why we have higher cancellation fees. Other countries don’t have this level of consumer protection. However, I guess we have the option of booking through a US TA and getting US terms. We then wouldn’t have ATOL and/or ABTA protection.

ABTA/ATOL is virtually worthless but travel agents feed on keeping customers ignorant. Travellers have credit card protection we can use. It’s only people who travel without sufficient headroom on a credit card that need ABTA or ATOL to look after them if their airline or tour company goes bust just before they travel or when they are abroad. Travel agents overplay the value of these two industry bodies.

I had two friends caught up in the Monarch debacle. In both cases their tour companies/travel agents were appalling. (Big agencies). One friend had to rely on ABTA/ATOL. Took 8 weeks she missed three days of work in the delay getting home and is still out of pocket.

The other went through her card company and at the same time made replacement bookings was home the day planned and refunded in seven days.

I don’t blame Azamara they have to be part of the two schemes to operate in the UK. I blame the wider travel industry. But changing that will be like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas. The industry needs shaking up big time. Travel agencies in the UK are not providing the service US agents provide. You only need to read these boards or hear testimonies on board to know that.

Luckily for savvy cruisers we can book elsewhere if we choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree it’s not a requirement to have high cancellation fees, but I think travel companies argument is that they have higher costs in the U.K., so need to compensate that. I agree that doesn’t make it right! There was a case in 2014 where someone challenged cancellation fees for a package holiday. They won the case, but it’s never been used as case law.

Going back a while another cruise line, who will remain anonymous, did state that it was the higher cost of doing business in the U.K. that was the reason for non refundable deposits. I don’t really accept this my belief is that it was the norm in the U.K. travel industry, customers just accepted it so why change it.

All t&c’s are written in favour of the party writing them and the other party can challenge them, so if someone wanted to pursue it then they are free to do so.

Over on the Viking board there is a payment thread and whilst in the U.K. their payment terms are quite normal all be it with a 25% deposit, in the U.S. they’ve been asking for full payment over 18 months in advance! Apparently customers have negotiated on this and got improved terms but full payment is way before it would be in the U.K., so the grass isn’t always greener.

Over on the Viking board there is a payment thread and whilst in the U.K. their payment terms are quite normal all be it with a 25% deposit, in the U.S. they’ve been asking for full payment over 18 months in advance! Apparently customers have negotiated on this and got improved terms but full payment is way before it would be in the U.K., so the grass isn’t always greener.

Golly, payment 18months before your cruise! I certainly wouldn’t be happy with that. Is that a reflection of the fact that from what I’ve read on CC US customers often make multiple cruise bookings with the intention of cancelling just before full payment is due?

This is the thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2632639

Don’t think I would ever book a cruise with payment that far out without a substantial incentive. Silverseas offered a substantial discount for payment with booking, Crystal offer 2.5% discount if you pay 6 months before sailing, it’s optional which is different.

I think the Viking conditions were to help cash flow whilst building their ships.

Rather like Tesla with their electric Model 3 where they got 450,000 $1000 reservations at launch

Whatever the reason it didn’t seem to harm their bookings, I’m sure other cruise lines were taking note.

Maybe Mr Branson will try it?

He took deposits before they started building a ship!

There was a Celebrity thread a few months back about them offering a discount in the American market if they chose to book with a non refundable deposit. It might have included Royal Caribbean as well but I’m not sure, don’t know if this was a trial or if it was popular but maybe an indication that they want to change things.

When we moved to Celebrity/ Azamara in 2010 one of the things we liked was the flexibility of booking, in fact our first ever booking was on Celebrity Constellation and we were able to change to Azamara Quest for a fee of £75. Once we reached Elite, which was ridiculously easy compared to P&O / Princess, we were able to make one change without penalty.

Sadly over the years that flexibility has been eroded to the point that when we recently made an onboard booking we were told that changes were possible but with a fee of £75, until recently that would have been at no charge.

We are quite prepared to accept that we have to pay a non refundable deposit but we should be allowed some flexibility in the booking. Especially if we book early and there are changes in the cruise or other issues which may not be major but affect our experience.

He took deposits before they started building a ship!

There was a Celebrity thread a few months back about them offering a discount in the American market if they chose to book with a non refundable deposit. It might have included Royal Caribbean as well but I’m not sure, don’t know if this was a trial or if it was popular but maybe an indication that they want to change things.

A lot of people noticed last week that the non-refundable option on Celebrity was gone. Hopefully it was trial that didn't go well.