Best port for T-shirt’s/fleece

vacationlover_mn

Ketchikan will probably have the best selection and prices. Tongas Trading Company has several stores near the pier. There will be coupon books with additional savings readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Didn't say when your sailing. At the end of the season, September on you will find sales every port. Tongas in Ketchikan is along side the dock with a huge selection of items.

Just returned 2 days ago. We found Ketchican had pretty good prices but all ports really weren't too bad unless you want a tshirt from a specific store. Paid $20 for a tshirt from Red Dog Saloon!

We found great deals in Skagway and Ketchikan. As someone noted, there is a t-shirt shop in Skagway where they had two shirts in a pack for just under $10. (Also, no sales tax in Alaska). That same shop had shirts as low as about $4...lots of selection on styles and prices. We didn’t go to Tongass Trading in Ketchikan but did go to a shop right by the ship (next to Christmas store). I don’t remember the name, but we got three shirts for $20 there.

I absolutely love the store called Talbots in Ketchikan. Huge. Locally owned.

It’s at Berth 4 on the cruise dock and the selection is incredible, prices great. Styles and prices displayed on the walls so you don’t have to sift through racks or tear apart displays.

If you google it it shows as a building supply store in the first hit but it’s all clothes and souvenirs during cruise season.

Big pastel painted building you can see as the ship is pulling in. Fantastic service to help you find what you are looking for, and a selection of locally produced artwork as well.

Also, as an added bonus it is never crowded, but it deserves to be!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got back from Alaska (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Straight Point/Hoonah, Sitka, Victoria) and I would say that overall, Ketchikan has the best shopping, but you will find a lot of the same items everywhere. (I'm not a big shopper but I follow my wife to a lot of stores.) Ketchikan had the best selection of locally made crafts that I saw.

I bought a fleece for $14.99 at Sockeye Sam's at the port in Ketchikan, It's okay, but the drawstring at the waist came loose and pulled out the second day. Don't really need it though.

Of course, for Canadian items, Victoria is best.

Thought Ketchikan had best prices. Bought lanyard for card for $1.99 and used entire cruise and land cruise and it was pretty! Ship wanted $4.95 for lanyard that said Princess - mine has Alaska wild flowers and DH has Alaska animals - can use again anywhere, any cruise line!

We found great deals in Skagway and Ketchikan. As someone noted, there is a t-shirt shop in Skagway where they had two shirts in a pack for just under $10. (Also, no sales tax in Alaska). ....

Just a quick comment for clarification -- Alaska does not have a state sales tax, but a number of communities do have local sales taxes. Visitors can also encounter such items as a liquor tax and hotel/motel tax.

In 2013 we were cruising Southbound. So I was saving my shopping for Ketchikan. Imagine my dismay when our ship bypassed Ketchikan due to bad weather! As that was our last port I ended up using the ship's gift shop. Hoping this year we get to stop in Ketchikan. Joyce

The store in Ketchikan was The Outlet Store. Since Mom was in a wheelchair, it was easier for us to navigate a store that wasn’t too big, and it was practically right n ct to the ship. Also, a great popcorn stand was next to it. Yum!