What to do in Puerto Vallarta for the day?

Kiwi_cruiser

Since this thread popped up again, I wanted to mention that we did the Signature Taco Tour from Vallarta Eats when we were in PV in October. It was EXCELLENT, great tour guide and we ate so much that we had to skip the last stop. They were very easy to work with and scheduled a special afternoon tour to match our time in port. We went into local neighborhood and ate at places the cruise line told us not to :). She even bought us a bag of fresh coconut when I asked about a street vendor who was selling it.

We also went to Walmart, where they had excellent prices on souvenirs and the best price I found on Mexican vanilla. Then I got an Uber to take us to the tour meeting point downtown. To get back to the ship, our tour guide found us a cab and negotiated a good price (she tried to get us an Uber but was going to take too long).

https://www.vallartaeats.com/

Edited by MisterBill99

On 12/19/2018 at 6:45 PM, funonabun said:

Hank, appreciate your thorough replies as always...I have been to PV before but am trying to recall where I asked the cab driver to drop us so we would start at the southern end of the malecon and work our way north...we want to start in the Romantic Zone as there are some breweries we want to visit again (Los Muertos) and try for the first time (Monzon)...if I ask the cabbie to "take us to the Romantic Zone", will that get us in the general area (half mile or so) of those locations, or should I be more specific (like ask him/her to drop us at Our Lady of Guadalupe church and just cross over the river on foot)?

Most folks tend to start their walking from the Northern side (Rio Cujale) and work their way south.  The reason is that as you go towards the southern end of the Romantic Zone (old town) it starts to become hilly and less commercial.   When you start at the northern side you will be able to judge when you no longer want to continue up hills, steps, etc.  If you really have your heart set on starting in the Romantic Zone then have a taxi drop you by the Sea Monkey (across the street (Aquiles Serdan) from the large condo complex called Molina d'Aqua.   But keep in mind that once you cross over the Rio Cujale into the Romantic Zone you reach another taxi zone and the fare is slightly higher then if you were dropped at the northern side of the Rio Cujale.   If you truly want to start at the far southern end of the Malecon, I guess you could ask a taxi to drop you at the Vallarta Shores Hotel (Google this hotel and see where its located on a map).    Your alternative idea of starting near the church is good and will save you a few pesos in taxi fare.  If you do go near the church you should certainly take a few minutes to glance inside.

Hank

• Like 1

On our last port call at Puerto Vallarta, we took a taxi to Marino & Marino Jewelry Store, on Ignacio L. Vallarto and Francisco L. Madero, #249.   The taxi driver was thrilled, because this is one of the stores that pays a kick-back to the driver for bringing in tourists.  We had bought jewelry there before and were hoping to find something to match last year's purchase!

This store is slightly south of the river, and we walked north after the store visit.  We watched a performance by the P____ Flyers (not as good as they used to be), and then grabbed a cab back to the ship.

For the first time, we skipped our annual visit to the Cathedral -- it was completely mobbed due to a huge annual festival going on, because of a visitation by Mother Mary in the 1500s.  

11 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Do any of the taxis offer a drive around town, to see the area?  I walk with a cane so it’s difficult to walk around town but we’d like to see PV.

PV taxi drivers are true entreprenaurs and will do just about anything for the right price.  So if you want to hire a taxi for a ride they will comply...but just make sure you agree on a fare (and time) before you get in the taxi.  That being said, much of the best part of PV is along the Malecon which is not really accessible by vehicle.  A Taxi can get you near certain places but you will need to do some walking to feel the atmosphere.  The Old Town area (Zona Romantica) is somewhat more accessible by taxi, but you will need to get out and do some walking to experience the real atmosphere of the town.  If you also have a small wheelchair or scooter, much of downtown PV now has sidewalk ramps (although it can still be a challenge).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a beach club that offers loungers on the beach with pay as you go pricing?  I’ve been to Mr Sanchos in Cozumel and thinking of something like that if you’ve heard of that.   Order drinks and snacks but not AI - but with loungers on the sand?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever done the free walking tour that starts at the Municipal Tourism office. According to my research, there should be one that starts at 9am on Saturdays. We arrive in port at 7am - do you think its possible to take a taxi from the ship and get there in time for the start of the tour?

We've only been once, and my kids were 6 and 10.  We did the Los Veranos Canopy Tour. They took such good care of us, and brought us back to the cruise ship.  It was me, my kids, and my father in law (grandpa) so we had all ages.  We still talk about how awesome it was.

My mother in law and husband walked around the Malecon.   Transportation from the ship was all cab/bus related.  You walk off and they're like "How many to shopping" and we just piled into a 10 person van.   

I did walk across the street to the Walmart which was cool.  And if you forget something it's super easy to go pick it up. I bought Mexican blankets for gifts because they were like $6 or something ridiculously cheap like that.

But I wanted to chime in about Los Veranos.   They were awesome.

Shawn

20 hours ago, jsjjkelly said:

I did walk across the street to the Walmart which was cool.  And if you forget something it's super easy to go pick it up. I bought Mexican blankets for gifts because they were like $6 or something ridiculously cheap like that.

They are also the cheapest place to buy vanilla. and other gifts. We bought some magnets there that were very inexpensive.

3 hours ago, lstrong said:

GTV--can you describe where The cheeky monkey is please. Looks cute

Not GTV but can certainly answer your question 🙂  It is located around the center of the Malecon (Centro) just opposite the well known Ladder Statute.  The Cheeky Monkey is on the 2nd and 3rd floors (the ground floor bar/restaurant is a different place) with access via stairs on the side street.   The same owner (his name is Troy) also owns the Sea Monkey (under our Condo) which is in the Old Town/Romantic District also along the Malecon.  Both "Monkeys" are well known for their $1 Margaritas and beefs (Pacifico or Corona).  They also have a food menu and other drinks.

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 6:00 AM, riffatsea said:

We pay the taxis we get outside the port somewhere between $6-8 to take us to the malecon. For us that is not expensive so we don't bother with Uber in Mexico. BTW the bus is even less. Perhaps Hank knows the price??

IF you pay the bus in USA $$s you won't get change.

Slightly off topic, but is it possible for you to use a larger font for your posts? While I truly enjoy your insight, I found myself having to get a new eyeglass prescription after reading only a few of your posts.. :classic_wink:

10 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Slightly off topic, but is it possible for you to use a larger font for your posts? While I truly enjoy your insight, I found myself having to get a new eyeglass prescription after reading only a few of your posts.. :classic_wink:

Yes of course!! The post you quoted was from waay back in June of last year when I was getting used to things on this web site again.

My more recent posts are much easier to read!!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

One should be careful if buying vanilla as there are too many substandard products adulterated with Coumarin (considered poison by many authorities).  Our go to place is called La Casa de la Vainilla and its a small shop tucked behind a parking garage not too far from the Rio Cujale (on the Centro side).  You can google the place or its address which Calle Morelos #128 which is part of the Plaza Juarez Parking garage.  He sells the freshest and best.  He sells vanilla extracts but also has the best beans.  I am not sure what brands of extract are sold at Walmart (we generally avoid Walmart).  But that small shop is a one man operation so never a guarantee that he will be open :(.  For those planning to go into town and walk the Malecon, this ship is only a block off the route.

Hank