What to do in Puerto Vallarta for the day?

Kiwi_cruiser

38 minutes ago, Prunion said:

Thanks 57 redbird.

What is around where the ship docks, shopping, restaurants?

Nothing special apart from Walmart, Sams or the Galeria Mall. Just take a cab into town, so much nicer and yes you will be safe.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:16 AM, Prunion said:

Any recommendation on what to see or what not to do while in port

countdown.pl?image=vfin&name=PRunion&dat

Thanks

We just got back from PV and we went to the Westin Resort and Spa for the day.  The day passes (which can only be purchased on the day if the hotel is not at capacity) cost 800 pesos per adult and give you access to the beach and pool and a 300 peso credit for food and drink.  The beach was good; the pool was amazing and our 300 peso credit covered the cost of lunch (burger/fries/soda).  Everyone at the hotel was super friendly and informative. 

The cost of our taxi from the port to the hotel was 150 pesos. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:16 PM, Prunion said:

Any recommendation on what to see or what not to do while in port

countdown.pl?image=vfin&name=PRunion&dat

Thanks

Get a cab into town, walk the Malecon along the ocean. Have drinks or lunch at Playa los Muertos, walk the pier there. Check the link with maps and info I gave earlier on this board.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We like to have fun, lol. So these are our suggestions:

PV: Our favorite place in the MDR. So much to choose from. We've done this cruise about 10 times, so we've done many things. The ship is in port for a long time. I usually rent a van/driver. We do some shopping. We head up to El Eden (tourist trap, so don't eat here, just enjoy the sites and water) or somewhere up in the jungle. There's a tequila outdoor shops up there, have some samples. If you really want to ATV, I'd do it here in PV. Lot's of mud and water and jungle! Do not book on ship, bargain once you get off the ship. You can also zip line, drivers usually get you a good deal! BEWARE: They might get you a better deal, but it might not include ALL of the zip lines (some places might have 15, but you'll get to only do 10 or so). So ask before you pay. Los Muertos Brewery is a cool hangout, good beers and GREAT pizza! In my opinion, going with an affordable driver (NEGOTIATE!) is the way to go, cuz they can take you all over PV and get you on a schedule. But you tell him where YOU want to go! Sometimes they'll want to take over, don't let them do that. They'll take you to their buddies restaurant, stores, etc. They get a kickback. So figure out what you want to do and tell him! Trust me on this. 9/10, they'll do as you asked.

Anyhow, hope this helps! 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 2:22 PM, klfhngr said:

We head up to El Eden (tourist trap, so don't eat here, just enjoy the sites and water) or somewhere up in the jungle. ...... You can also zip line, drivers usually get you a good deal! BEWARE: They might get you a better deal, but it might not include ALL of the zip lines (some places might have 15, but you'll get to only do 10 or so). So ask before you pay.

Due to our ship's arrival and departure times, our excursion agent says we'll need to get to El Eden on our own by taxi or Uber instead of catching the excursion's shuttle.  It looks like they are about an hour from the cruise port. 

1. What is a reasonable cost to Uber/taxi?

and

2. Is it popular enough that the driver can find it/knows where it is or might get lost on the way?

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, nelsonewong said:

Due to our ship's arrival and departure times, our excursion agent says we'll need to get to El Eden on our own by taxi or Uber instead of catching the excursion's shuttle.  It looks like they are about an hour from the cruise port. 

1. What is a reasonable cost to Uber/taxi?

and

2. Is it popular enough that the driver can find it/knows where it is or might get lost on the way?

Thanks in advance.

Happy to help.  According to Uber (at this minute) it would be 325 Pesos which is about 17 from in front of the port to El Eden.  Since Uber uses surge pricing, that price will vary.  A taxi will generally cost you more, but if you use the regular taxis you find outside of the port, everything is negotiable and you might want to try for 400 Pesos although you may well need to pay more.  Uber will find El Eden since they have the usual app which gives them directions.  Most taxi drivers should know the way, but if they don't they will either use their phone or stop and talk with another taxi driver and get directions.

Hank

(currently living in PV)

• Like 1

We just got back couple weeks ago. We got a day pass at the Marriott. Price was around $35 usd per person. Then they give you back around $20 in food credit. Place was great! Access to beach and great pool. Uber from ship was like $8 one way. Couldn't ask for better time. Then took an Uber to old town to shop. Uber was like $10. Taxis are around double the rate. Tip exchange to pesos. Yes you are on vacation. Yes you can use usd. But If you shop enough at three ports and get food you will lose some money using usd.

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2020 at 4:56 PM, Hlitner said:

Happy to help.   

Hank, my wife and I will be making our first trip to PV in May on the Panorama ship.  We have over 18 cruises under our belt but this is our first to the area.  When in Cozumel, we love to spend a few hours at a beach then we take a cab from Paradise Beach to the north end of their downtown area (not sure how familiar you are with Cozumel but we always exit the taxi at the museum) then walk the boardwalk area until we need a taxi back to the ship.  

I've copied the information I found from a response you posted back in 2018 regarding how to walk the Malecon and I'm wondering, since that post was two years ago, would you change that advice any?  Do you know of a beach where we could spend a few hours before walking the Malecon?

All of your posts have been tremendous help so thank you for them and any advice you may give in the future.

Jeff & Dawn

9 hours ago, WISH84 said:

Hank, my wife and I will be making our first trip to PV in May on the Panorama ship.  We have over 18 cruises under our belt but this is our first to the area.  When in Cozumel, we love to spend a few hours at a beach then we take a cab from Paradise Beach to the north end of their downtown area (not sure how familiar you are with Cozumel but we always exit the taxi at the museum) then walk the boardwalk area until we need a taxi back to the ship.  

I've copied the information I found from a response you posted back in 2018 regarding how to walk the Malecon and I'm wondering, since that post was two years ago, would you change that advice any?  Do you know of a beach where we could spend a few hours before walking the Malecon?

All of your posts have been tremendous help so thank you for them and any advice you may give in the future.

Jeff & Dawn

Jeff and Dawn,

I'm not Hank, but are you sure you're still sailing that itinerary in May 2020, or are you talking about May 2021?

Our understanding is that all sailings from US ports have been suspended through mid September of 2020.

9 minutes ago, WISH84 said:

Well, sorry for the wrong tag. This being June.. yes, May 2021

Got it.. We're doing the Mexican Riviera (which we've done several times) next March. We love Puerto Vallarta!

• Like 1

I do not recommend adventuring out on  your own. On our cruise, there was a couple that rented a car and was pulled over by the police and stole all their belonging, cash, credit cards, jewelry, pretty much everything they had except the cloths on their back and the rental car. They even took their passports. other  passenger said that they do not adventure out on their own be cause you can not even trust the police. So be careful and stay in a crowed area.  I recommend taking one of the ship tours.

We will deal with a few issues.  As to going off on your own we think its quite OK (even for cruisers) as long as you give yourself some extra time to get back to the port.  However, I do not generally recommend that any cruise rent a car in Puerto Vallarta for a whole host of reasons.  One must be very careful with insurance in Mexico and there can be big problems if you would happen to get involved in any kind of accident.  If somebody is injured in an accident you would run a real risk of being taken off the jail and you might miss your ship.  But doing things on your own using taxis and buses is fine.

As to the question about beaches from Wish84 here is what I would suggest.  The beaches (and sea water) around Puerto Vallarta is not nearly as nice as you get in Cozumel.  But with that understanding there are still some decent options.  Since you want to go to a beach, walk on the Malecon, and explore some of town you can do all of this quite easily on your own.  If you look at a map of town you will see a small river (Rio Cujale) that splits the town.  The Northern side is called "Centro" and is generally thought of as the downtown neighborhood with a well developed "Malecon"  (like a boardwalk).  Once your cross the river to the south side you are in the Zona Romantica (Romantic Zone) or Viejo Vallarta (Old Town) (both names are synonymy's).  The sea in Old Town is fronted by a beach called Los Muertos which is commonly used for both the beach and swimming (the best swimming area is on the southern part of the beach).   This beach is lines with cafes/restaurants with many offering chairs/loungers.  In most cases the chairs/loungers are free as long as you spend money on food/drink...although some of the beach places might charge a small fee to use the chairs.  I should mention that as you get to the far southern part of the beach you will see some pretty nice beach areas which are very popular with the gay population.  They do welcome anyone as in PV we all seem to get along (straights, gays, gringos, and Mexicans).   The food and drink sold at the beach cafes are very safe as is the food and drink everywhere in PV.  Just keep in mind that is you drink Margaritas (or other adult beverages) all day you will surely feel the effects :).

Coming from the cruise port the easiest way is to simply use a taxi.  The ones inside the port are special "Federal" taxis who will usually charge a fee per person to go to town (as before you get in a taxi).  Outside the port the regular taxis (usually yellow or white) charge a fee for the entire taxi (negotiate before you get in any taxi) and the drivers will accept US Dollars or Pesos (you will often pay more if using dollars).  If going to Centro the nearest drop place would be by the Hotel Rosita.  If you want to go to the middle of Centro just ask the driver to drop you near the Cathedral.  If you prefer to go directly to the Old Town then you could ask the driver to drop you at Daiquiri Dicks but keep in mind that the taxis do charge a little more money to go to Old Town vs Centro.

Now my lecture about using Los Muertos for swimming.  As I said earlier, the safest part for swimming is the southern side of the beach (to the South of the big pier).  There are lifeguards in this area (sometimes).  The water south of the pier has a sandy bottom (as you move north of the pier you can run into some nasty underwater rocks) and you can use your own judgement if you want to swim.  There are some days when the water is rough so use common sense.  It is quite OK to walk around PV in swimwear and you can go into cafes/restaurants or shops with a cover-up.  Around the beach you would not even need a coverup.  This is not a dress-up town :).  Anything beyond shorts and a T-shirt is too dressy during the daytime.

Some have asked me privately about the impact of COVID-19!  PV does have some cases and the city (along with all of the country) was pretty much locked down from mid-March until early in June.  Many of the government restrictions have been lifted and things have gradually started to reopen during June.  Given the attitude of Mexico's President I would expect things to be completely open in the foreseeable future.  But COVID-19 is certainly around so folks should use common sense about social distancing and perhaps wearing a mask although most if PV will likely not wear masks.  Perhaps the worst news for some cruisers is the popular "Cheeky Monkey" has apparently closed their doors forever.

Hank

• Like 3

Although some hotels, restaurants, beaches,  parks, Malecon etc. In Puerto Vallarta/Jalisco are  now open ( with some restrictions) please be aware Covid-19 is far from over in Puerto Vallarta. Known is that numbers mentioned are not correct as those patients in private hospitals arenot counted. Patients have been transfered to Guadalajara as there are not enough beds/staff  in Vallarta to help those that need it. Testing is hardly done. In the state of Nayarit where a.o. Nuevo Vallarta is situated still more restrictions are in place. So depending when you are coming, be very careful.

This was today report in Puerto Vallarata Daily News.

I copy: Puerto Vallarta also set a daily record for COVID-19 deaths today with six new deaths in the city. There have been 723 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the city, with 33 new cases added today, also a new daily record for the city. This is two weeks after the economy and beaches reopening and seven days after people flocked to the beaches for the Father’s Day Weekend in Puerto Vallarta where little social distancing or mask usage was observed.

Edited by Ine

Ine, I am glad to see you posting again!

I hope the Co-Vid numbers improve, that people take the appropriate precautions and that people (and their businesses) survive this horrible pandemic.  Maybe an early vaccine will let us go back to normal!

8 hours ago, Ine said:

Although some hotels, restaurants, beaches,  parks, Malecon etc. In Puerto Vallarta/Jalisco are  now open ( with some restrictions) please be aware Covid-19 is far from over in Puerto Vallarta. Known is that numbers mentioned are not correct as those patients in private hospitals arenot counted. Patients have been transfered to Guadalajara as there are not enough beds/staff  in Vallarta to help those that need it. Testing is hardly done. In the state of Nayarit where a.o. Nuevo Vallarta is situated still more restrictions are in place. So depending when you are coming, be very careful.

This was today report in Puerto Vallarata Daily News.

I copy: Puerto Vallarta also set a daily record for COVID-19 deaths today with six new deaths in the city. There have been 723 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the city, with 33 new cases added today, also a new daily record for the city. This is two weeks after the economy and beaches reopening and seven days after people flocked to the beaches for the Father’s Day Weekend in Puerto Vallarta where little social distancing or mask usage was observed.

I thought it was interesting that our Condo building (and many other Condos) have reopened.  The maids that work in our complex generally come to work on the city buses and many of them have pretty long rides (up to an hour) to get to and from work.  Public buses are one of the worst places when it comes to COVID-19 so we really fear for their health.   But it seems like the government has made a decision to let the country reopen and accept the consequences.  I keep asking a basic question is how are we going to deal with this virus if it continues for at least another three years.   We obviously cannot shut down the world for several years.

Speaking of PV we did buy our plane tickets for next year :).  COVID-19 or not this is where we want to live in the winter.  

Hank

• Like 1