Norwegian Dawn info, tips appreciated

Mixul247

I am going on the Norwegian Dawn and I have questions. I have not cruised in years and have never gone on Norwegian line. I read somewhere that there was only one outlet in the cabin. Does anybody know about this? Are we allowed to bring extension cords and if so is it a regular 110 outlet? Any other tips and information you can give would be greatly appreciated. What are the good restaurants, shows etc? Was there something that you wish you brought with you? Is it worth it to get the Internet package? Also, how are the drinks? Is one bar better than another to get a good mixed drink? going from Boston to Bermuda Thank you

There should be 2 outlets and one Euro outlet.

Find a bar and barman you like, they'll treat you right.

Yes and extension cord is fine.

Shows, twice nightly no reservations needed.

Music all over the ship in various lounges in the evenings.

I don't need to access the internet while on vacation so that question is something you need to figure out if you will use it.

HAVE FUN!!!

I am going on the Norwegian Dawn and I have questions. I have not cruised in years and have never gone on Norwegian line. I read somewhere that there was only one outlet in the cabin. Does anybody know about this? Are we allowed to bring extension cords and if so is it a regular 110 outlet? Any other tips and information you can give would be greatly appreciated. What are the good restaurants, shows etc? Was there something that you wish you brought with you? Is it worth it to get the Internet package? Also, how are the drinks? Is one bar better than another to get a good mixed drink? going from Boston to Bermuda Thank you

Just off the Dawn yesterday - one important note to add to the last post:

1. there are NO STRAWS anymore on the ship due to environmental concerns - several people on our cruise brought their own reusable metal ones. Our water bottles have removable straws so we used them - it's very hard to drink any frozen drink without a straw! They are trying out paper straws but not using them just yet! Bring a refillable water bottle - we had the bar fill it with ice and water each day. Ship water is very good and safe to drink.

Also

Shampoo, body wash and soap are complimentary and decent quality.

small portable clock is nice to have - no clocks in the staterooms You will go thru a time change and if your phone is in airplane mode it will not update - you must do that manually. You loose an hour going, and gain an hour coming home.

Plenty of storage in most cabins - suitcases typically fit under the bed after you unpack.

Bring a beach bag (or knapsack) to take to the pool or off the ship to the beach.

Beach towels are supplied - no need to bring your own.

If an extension is needed for a C-PAP machine they will bring one, otherwise they are discouraged - you are not allowed to leave anything PLUGGED in and "charging" when you are not in the cabin - stewards are supposed to unplug them.

We "unplug" so also can't comment on the internet. There is an NCL iConciege app that you can download before you go and use it onboard with the internet but you don't pay - it gives you the daily schedule, check your account, make reservations, etc. I think you could message other people if they also have the app.

Formal nite is now "dress up or not" - we did not see many people "dressed up" - sun dresses/maxi dresses or nice tops/capris on the gals and dockers/slacks and golf shirts on the men - we even saw shorts in the main dining room some nights so the dress code is VERY relaxed. this is not the ship for FORMAL wear.

hope that helps!

I think the internet package is subjective. Last year I didn’t use my 250 minutes. We are going again this year and I’m taking two online grad courses and probably will use it all.. and then some.

We loved the martini bar and Bimini bar. Be nice (friendly) to the bartenders and it goes a long way. You’ll be amazed at the behavior of some.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lucky you - I LOVE the Dawn! Great choice of ship! You can bring a power strip but it cannot be one with a surge protector - those are considered fire hazards and can be confiscated. I bring one without surge protection and never have a problem.

If I recall correctly there are a couple of outlets, but I recommend the power strip. Somehow electronics all have a way of losing battery power at the same time on trips, and the cruise lines do NOT want you to leave things plugged in when you leave the cabin - so you may find yourself charging everything at once while you sleep.

I rely on the internet heavily as a travel blogger, but I resist the urge to buy the ship packages. They are very expensive and very slow. On NCL, if an emergency comes up, you can pay by the minute on the ship instead of having purchased an expensive package ahead of time.

The drinks are excellent on the Dawn... and even better when they are free thanks to the "Free at Sea" promotion. They are delicious, not too weak, and bartenders can make your drink even if it's not on one of the menus. The wine bars also have some excellent wines. The only thing I am disappointed by is the beer selection. The bartender that made the best drinks in my opinion was in Los Lobos.

The shows were amazing on the Dawn! I can't remember the name of the show but there was a Ukranian couple, acrobats - absolute must see (and free!) The magician was also outstanding. I saw NO bad shows on the Dawn and they were all free.

I am certain you will have a great time on the Dawn - it is a wonderful ship that I look forward to returning to again and again (I have sailed on Dawn twice so far.)

I sailed last Sept 15th, so not current info! But we had a balcony room with 2 outlets. I brought a power strip and it was no problem. I highly recommend a laundry bag! I brought all of my own toiletries, so no idea about how theirs are.

The main pool area had THE BEST servers and drinks (Ariel in particular). We tipped every time and had no issues getting drinks promptly. My SO is a bartender and some of the patron & pineapple drinks he got were VERY strong but appreciated.

I would suggest staying away from the coffee bar for drinks, very slow and not friendly service (again, we sailed last year so it may have changed).

We only did the magic show (sailed with our 5 YO who has a short attention span lol) and it was great. Bingo was fun but expensive.

Snorkel Park Beach is underrated! It was a short walk and not crowded at all. We loved it.

Don't miss the live shows at the Atrium near O'Sheehan's. That woman who performs is amazing and we ran into her in the hallway one night, she's very sweet.

Bring non-slip flip flops!!! I almost wiped out multiple times in the pool area wearing my normal day to day flip flops. This was one tip I didn't pay attention to and regretted!

Don't get room service pizza, it's gross.

Go to one of the main dining areas when your first board - everyone goes to the buffet but food was so so. Dining rooms (we found out later) were almost empty.

Make dining reservations EARLY. By day 2 all specialty dining was sold out so we never got to eat at Cagney's.

We never made a schedule and just did whatever. We had so much fun and plan to go back late summer.

Have fun!

Was on her last month: 2 outlets in cabins or certainly in balcony cabins. We didn't need anymore, it was fine for us.

I disagree about the coffee bar in the atrium area. We got drinks there several times each day and they were extremely friendly. Yes, a little slow but we had no where to go anyway and because of its location I understand it being slow. They are creating coffee drinks as well as regular drinks and they are in the busiest part of the ship.

Entertainment wise: Patti and Jose are still preforming: we love it when they are on the Dawn.They will do a couple of shows in the atrium each cruise and did an afternoon show in the showroom. Other than the atrium we hung out a lot at Gadsby's bar outside of Le Bistro. The guitar player that was there when we were on the ship was super good,, music from the 60s and 70s mostly and the wait staff very friendly. I think we were there almost nightly.

As for the internet package: we had 250 free minutes and only used a few. We were have some challenges getting on and the internet tech was not the most helpful. Without it for the week we did just fine. I doubt, if it were me I would purchase the package unless I had to stay in contact with home for some reason. There are only 3 or 4 computers available for use which makes it more challenging.

Favorite recipes: specialty dining rooms: Le Bistro is our favorite. La Cuncina, though not everyone's choice is good we think. Los Lobos was a disappointment to us. Free food wise, We did the buffet a couple of times but just nothing to write home about: the MDRs are good. Every morning there are a couple of daily specials so that gives you a chance to try new items. Our favorite casual dining option for lunch is and always will be O'Sheehan's. Of course if you are around the pool during mid day they serve great burgers and dogs.

Beware of getting lost on the ship. There are times when you have to go up to go down and visa versa.

Edited by newmexicoNita
Rea

There should be 2 outlets and one Euro outlet.

Find a bar and barman you like, they'll treat you right.

Yes and extension cord is fine.

Shows, twice nightly no reservations needed.

Music all over the ship in various lounges in the evenings.

I don't need to access the internet while on vacation so that question is something you need to figure out if you will use it.

HAVE FUN!!!

Thank you [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Just off the Dawn yesterday - one important note to add to the last post:

1. there are NO STRAWS anymore on the ship due to environmental concerns - several people on our cruise brought their own reusable metal ones. Our water bottles have removable straws so we used them - it's very hard to drink any frozen drink without a straw! They are trying out paper straws but not using them just yet! Bring a refillable water bottle - we had the bar fill it with ice and water each day. Ship water is very good and safe to drink.

Also

Shampoo, body wash and soap are complimentary and decent quality.

small portable clock is nice to have - no clocks in the staterooms You will go thru a time change and if your phone is in airplane mode it will not update - you must do that manually. You loose an hour going, and gain an hour coming home.

Plenty of storage in most cabins - suitcases typically fit under the bed after you unpack.

Bring a beach bag (or knapsack) to take to the pool or off the ship to the beach.

Beach towels are supplied - no need to bring your own.

If an extension is needed for a C-PAP machine they will bring one, otherwise they are discouraged - you are not allowed to leave anything PLUGGED in and "charging" when you are not in the cabin - stewards are supposed to unplug them.

We "unplug" so also can't comment on the internet. There is an NCL iConciege app that you can download before you go and use it onboard with the internet but you don't pay - it gives you the daily schedule, check your account, make reservations, etc. I think you could message other people if they also have the app.

Formal nite is now "dress up or not" - we did not see many people "dressed up" - sun dresses/maxi dresses or nice tops/capris on the gals and dockers/slacks and golf shirts on the men - we even saw shorts in the main dining room some nights so the dress code is VERY relaxed. this is not the ship for FORMAL wear.

hope that helps!

Wow, so helpful! It's been about 12 years since we've cruised so I feel like a newbie. I've never been on NCL. The ships I've been on were massive and had rock climbing walls, skating rinks, outdoor theaters, etc. I think the dawn is smaller and does not have all those activities but that's fine with us. We are older now and no longer cruising with our boys (who are now men, lol) so we're fine with laid back and relaxed atmosphere. Thank you so much for all that information. It's a lot of help. By the way, do you know if they allow carry on foldable beach chairs? I really don't want to spend $45 to rent 2 chairs at the beach. Do they limit the amount of luggage you are allowed to bring?

Lucky you - I LOVE the Dawn! Great choice of ship! You can bring a power strip but it cannot be one with a surge protector - those are considered fire hazards and can be confiscated. I bring one without surge protection and never have a problem.

If I recall correctly there are a couple of outlets, but I recommend the power strip. Somehow electronics all have a way of losing battery power at the same time on trips, and the cruise lines do NOT want you to leave things plugged in when you leave the cabin - so you may find yourself charging everything at once while you sleep.

I rely on the internet heavily as a travel blogger, but I resist the urge to buy the ship packages. They are very expensive and very slow. On NCL, if an emergency comes up, you can pay by the minute on the ship instead of having purchased an expensive package ahead of time.

The drinks are excellent on the Dawn... and even better when they are free thanks to the "Free at Sea" promotion. They are delicious, not too weak, and bartenders can make your drink even if it's not on one of the menus. The wine bars also have some excellent wines. The only thing I am disappointed by is the beer selection. The bartender that made the best drinks in my opinion was in Los Lobos.

The shows were amazing on the Dawn! I can't remember the name of the show but there was a Ukranian couple, acrobats - absolute must see (and free!) The magician was also outstanding. I saw NO bad shows on the Dawn and they were all free.

I am certain you will have a great time on the Dawn - it is a wonderful ship that I look forward to returning to again and again (I have sailed on Dawn twice so far.)

I guess I better go buy a new power strip because mine has surge protector. I'm so glad you mentioned that. Also, is it the 2 prong or 3 prong plug? I was actually online looking up their beer selection. We love craft beer, especially IPAs but I dont think they have anything like that. Thanks for the tip about Los Lobos. We will definitely stop there for drinks. Thanks for all your tips. Take care

I sailed last Sept 15th, so not current info! But we had a balcony room with 2 outlets. I brought a power strip and it was no problem. I highly recommend a laundry bag! I brought all of my own toiletries, so no idea about how theirs are.

The main pool area had THE BEST servers and drinks (Ariel in particular). We tipped every time and had no issues getting drinks promptly. My SO is a bartender and some of the patron & pineapple drinks he got were VERY strong but appreciated.

I would suggest staying away from the coffee bar for drinks, very slow and not friendly service (again, we sailed last year so it may have changed).

We only did the magic show (sailed with our 5 YO who has a short attention span lol) and it was great. Bingo was fun but expensive.

Snorkel Park Beach is underrated! It was a short walk and not crowded at all. We loved it.

Don't miss the live shows at the Atrium near O'Sheehan's. That woman who performs is amazing and we ran into her in the hallway one night, she's very sweet.

Bring non-slip flip flops!!! I almost wiped out multiple times in the pool area wearing my normal day to day flip flops. This was one tip I didn't pay attention to and regretted!

Don't get room service pizza, it's gross.

Go to one of the main dining areas when your first board - everyone goes to the buffet but food was so so. Dining rooms (we found out later) were almost empty.

Make dining reservations EARLY. By day 2 all specialty dining was sold out so we never got to eat at Cagney's.

We never made a schedule and just did whatever. We had so much fun and plan to go back late summer.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for all your good advice! I never would have thought to bring non slip flip flops. I am so glad you mentioned that. When you went to snorkel park beach, did you rent beach chairs? I'm wondering if we will be able to bring our own folding chairs onto the ship. I will definitely head to the dining room instead of the buffet when we arrive. That's a good idea. Thanks so much for all your help

On Thursday night around 6pm.... the Dawn will travel thru Stellwagen Bank Marine Sanctuary. It's one of the world’s most active marine sanctuaries. Stellwagen Bank is abundant with whales, dolphins, sea birds, and other marine life. This area is home to several kinds of large whales, including acrobatic humpback whales, finback whales, minke whales, as well as pilot whales and the critically endangered right whales. White-sided dolphins may also put in an appearance. This is where many of the Massachusetts Whale Watching companies go for their trips so you may get a show on your way back.... it's almost eery when 6ou look around and many tankers, cruise ships, cargo ships are stopped because of the whale traffic. Hopefully you get an opportunity to experience it.

You can bring folding chairs. You just have to deal with them under the bed or carrying them. I wouldn't get them to the porters.

If you plan on taking the public bus to the beaches you will have to figure out how you'll carry them there as well, some buses will be packed full.

I guess I better go buy a new power strip because mine has surge protector. I'm so glad you mentioned that. Also, is it the 2 prong or 3 prong plug? I was actually online looking up their beer selection. We love craft beer, especially IPAs but I dont think they have anything like that. Thanks for the tip about Los Lobos. We will definitely stop there for drinks. Thanks for all your tips. Take care

That huge online retailer I don't think I have to mention by name has the non-surge power strips (I think we aren't supposed to name stores on here but I think you can guess!) I believe the Dawn has 3 prong outlets. No craft beer on NCL in my experience. A handful of lower-end American beers, Corona, and Heineken. I love craft beers too but find myself gravitating towards the wine bar on NCL instead because of the beer selection. Loved the bartender at Los Lobos - had my favorite drinks on the ship there. They also have something called a Tamarind Soda in there (non-alcoholic) that I'd never tried before but thought I'd give it a shot - and I loved it! Even though Los Lobos is specialty the Unlimited Beverage Plan works at the bar. Have a great time!

That huge online retailer I don't think I have to mention by name has the non-surge power strips (I think we aren't supposed to name stores on here but I think you can guess!) I believe the Dawn has 3 prong outlets. No craft beer on NCL in my experience. A handful of lower-end American beers, Corona, and Heineken. I love craft beers too but find myself gravitating towards the wine bar on NCL instead because of the beer selection. Loved the bartender at Los Lobos - had my favorite drinks on the ship there. They also have something called a Tamarind Soda in there (non-alcoholic) that I'd never tried before but thought I'd give it a shot - and I loved it! Even though Los Lobos is specialty the Unlimited Beverage Plan works at the bar. Have a great time!
Thank you. I think I can guess that online retailer. I'll check now and see if u can get free 2 day shipping.