Sunset veranda on edge

maggie.1008

There is so much information to go through. I am interested in Sunset Veranda pictures and what the balcony is like. Thanks !

I am intrigued by the SV's. We prefer aft cabins and these are some of the few cabins without an infinite veranda on this ship so will have an open feel like standard balconies (the Infinite Verandas look nice, but I am guessing we will prefer the standard balcony). The SV's cabins are bigger (228 sq ft vs the Infinite Verandas, AQ and Concierge cabins at 201 sq ft) and the balconies are also larger at 89 sq ft vs 42 sq ft for the Infinite Verandas, AQ and Concierge. Looking at the deck plans, my guess is that some of the SV balconies are larger than others, much like the S Class ships.

If you look at the SVs here, some balconies look smaller than others because of the rounding of the ones on the ends. I'm wondering if the ones in the middle might be a bit bigger - the 89 sq ft could be an average. The S1 aft balconies on either end are 163 sq ft. It will be interesting to see if there will be some SVs that will be the most desired because of bigger balconies. The prices have been pretty good, relatively speaking, since the cabins and balconies are larger than standard cabins. They sold out quite quickly on my cruises.

enhance

Here is the only rendition I have seen of the SV:

72-7.jpg

This is a picture of the aft several months ago to give an idea of those aft cabins.

enhance

I just booked two middle Sunset Veranda cabins today for 1/12/2020. Very excited and a reasonable price.

That is exciting! I have an aft S1 for my first Edge cruise in December and will hopefully get a quick peek at the SV balcony next door (11270). Also, someone on one of my Roll Calls has an SV to show for our cabin crawl. I will be sure to get some pictures.

If we like the Edge, we may book an SV for 2020 (either on Edge or Beyond), unless the S1 prices drop down. Having the bigger cabin and balcony, as well as the 4 MDRs makes it less painful to pass up the suite (at least I hope the 4 MDRs will be as good as they look). :D

For the past several X cruises I have booked AQ or Suites. No more chaos of the MDR. The Edge dining is a game changer. AQ and Suites are as much as we spend for the luxury lines. Those prices will have to come down before we return to a suite on X.

• Like 2

In some of the pictures it shows balcony door folding , not sliding.

I have found that some of the pictures on the websites are inaccurate. It will be interesting to see them in person.

I did find that the SV balconies are different sizes and the 89 sq ft is average, so some must be even bigger. :D

"Aft veranda size varies (average shown)"

In some of the pictures it shows balcony door folding , not sliding.

That is how they are shown in everything we have seen...that seems to be the way the stateroom will open up to the balc space so it enlarges....I don't think a slider could acomplish that,,

We have cruised in AQ class since it started...We enjoy BLU, Persian Gardens etc. We call it our " poor person's suite". Prices are very high right now...glad we booked AQ class on Edge when we did!

We would consider a reg balcony or Concierge Class on a future EDGE cruise, if the 4 diff restaurant dining program is successful.

I have never been on a ship with a folding balcony door. I hope it is sealed tight. Could be a loud whistling noise if not. I had that on the Solstice once. I will be very interest to hear back from first cruisers.

I agree 4 dining room concept if successful might change the way I book. I am a little concerned with children in suites and retreat area. Many more families on X than years past. For the price they are asking for suites I want a peaceful pool and retreat area.

Maggie:

The Sunset Verandas do not have infinite verandas so are more apt to have the sliding doors (no reason for the bi-fold doors since the balcony itself cannot be enclosed as with the infinite balconies). I think that since 69% of the cabins have infinite verandas (with the bi-fold doors), they sometimes show pictures of infinite verandas for any veranda cabin.

The deck plan site that I got the rendition below (same as above but blown up so can see the sliding door) had other pictures that were incorrect and measurements that were different than the X official sheet so I don't trust all the pictures/measurements on the websites. It makes sense that this is the SV because of the rounded curve seen in the balcony.

th?id=OIP.IQ5dmZ3PNEIGX-qdxIxzkwHaBv&pid=Api&P=0&w=480&h=113

When you look at the deck plans, the infinite balconies have the specific bi-fold door design seen below circled on cabin 11264 and the SV 11273 has a straight line depicted, which is why I suspect it is a slider. Time will tell. :D

enhance

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad for this thread, as I wanted to learn more about the SV. We booked one on deck 10 for the 3/24/19 sailing. We have never been in an aft cabin so decided to give it a try. I have to say we have been wondering if we should have booked an infinity balcony because the concept sounds so appealing, but the size of the SV was larger and the price was not that different from an infinity balcony which helped to make the choice a no-brainer for us. As the saying goes, "always go with your first choice." We have a hold on the center two cabins should they come available because we also thought the balcony looks larger. We are looking forward to the Edge Experience and our first time in an aft balcony.

I am so glad for this thread, as I wanted to learn more about the SV. We booked one on deck 10 for the 3/24/19 sailing. We have never been in an aft cabin so decided to give it a try. I have to say we have been wondering if we should have booked an infinity balcony because the concept sounds so appealing, but the size of the SV was larger and the price was not that different from an infinity balcony which helped to make the choice a no-brainer for us. As the saying goes, "always go with your first choice." We have a hold on the center two cabins should they come available because we also thought the balcony looks larger. We are looking forward to the Edge Experience and our first time in an aft balcony.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the SV's will be popular and will go quickly in the future. There are only 36 of them and close to > 900 infinite verandas (there are some porthole type veranda cabins as well). I'm sure many will love the infinite verandas, but I think some will try them and want to go back to the typical style balcony seen in the SV's. Some don't like the aft and will stick with IV's, but we always love the aft and think we would enjoy the SV's. Hope you enjoy yours! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Re- visited this thread now that we have a Sunset Veranda( middle, lowest deck) booked for Nov 2019, in addition to our AQ Inf balc cabin for Jan 2019

I am going to miss BLU but AQ prices are very high and we wanted to try a regular open balcony on EDGE, as well as the 4 restaurant plan...(select res all made)

What can we expect to be different being aft, aside from the long walk to the elevator? By the name, I expect there may be a nice sunset wake view like one can get in Tuscan and at the aft bar on S Class???

Re- visited this thread now that we have a Sunset Veranda( middle, lowest deck) booked for Nov 2019, in addition to our AQ Inf balc cabin for Jan 2019

I am going to miss BLU but AQ prices are very high and we wanted to try a regular open balcony on EDGE, as well as the 4 restaurant plan...(select res all made)

What can we expect to be different being aft, aside from the long walk to the elevator? By the name, I expect there may be a nice sunset wake view like one can get in Tuscan and at the aft bar on S Class???

We are aft lovers and choose the aft the majority of the time. We love the 180 degree view, the view of the wake, the view as we leave port (can be spectacular), the sunsets and on and on.

We find it is quieter back there usually, with more privacy (depending upon the ship) and the balconies are usually bigger. We like sunshine and have found that we get more sun back there, with most of the aft balconies we have had a shaded area as well.

We only have had soot on RCI aft cabins - I can't recall any soot on a Celebrity balcony.

The distance to elevators on S Class and now E Class is long, but you get used to it very quickly, and frankly enjoy the walks, except when late for something. We leave 5 minutes earlier than normal when we are in the aft.

Looking at these pictures makes me want December 1st to arrive soon!

Note: The tables with table cloths are due to butler service in a suite, not the usual, I believe. The food tastes the same, table cloth or not, and the view is available to all!! :D

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Why we like the aft (cont.) :D

enhance

enhance

One of our fondest memories - an overnight in Barcelona with dinner overlooking the port. The sail-shaped W is in the background and we also had a view of the cable car going up and down the mountain during dinner.

enhance

• Like 2

Wow...I 'm sold on the aft! Love your photos, esp Barcelona views! Thanks

Long walk not an issue,..on QM 2 a big ship, we had to go back and forth several times each day for events and activities, despite being midships,. It was good exercise except in formal wear..not required on X anymore.

How much more than reg SV are the SV suites generally ? We may aim for that next time ...we'll see. Right now, happy with our choice of AQ then SV.

Wow...I 'm sold on the aft! Love your photos, esp Barcelona views! Thanks

Long walk not an issue,..on QM 2 a big ship, we had to go back and forth several times each day for events and activities, despite being midships,. It was good exercise except in formal wear..not required on X anymore.

How much more than reg SV are the SV suites generally ? We may aim for that next time ...we'll see. Right now, happy with our choice of AQ then SV.

The average SV balconies on the Edge will be about the same size as the aft corner S1 balconies on S Class. :D

Looking at 2020 - one cruise in January, the SV is 1999 PP and the S1 corner aft 4399 PP for 7 nights, so a big difference but that is in high season (we paid $2824PP for our corner aft S1 on the Edge for Jan, 2019 and I think the SV's were about $1000PP that first day, if I remember correctly).

Once Beyond starts booking, hopefully all prices will come down, but I guess we will have to see how well the Edge is received (I hope people will love the Infinite Verandas so that they will leave the SV's for us!). I'm glad that we were able to get a good price on the S1 so that we can try the Retreat, but if the S1's don't come down in price for 2020, the SV's are a nice alternative for us. We will miss the Munchie Bus ;), but will have plenty of other things to keep us happy!

• 5 months later...

Now that the Edge has been up and running for several weeks, does anyone have any definite info on the Sunset Veranda? Which ones are larger etc?   I was initially intrigued by the Infinite Veranda when I heard the description way back when (most of us prob were intrigued at some level).  But now that I've seen actual videos of these cabins, I can say I have no desire to book one.  I don't think they are being as well received as Celebrity was hoping.  This only means the SV cabins may be more in demand.  :(

10 minutes ago, lurkernj said:

Also, do the sunset veranda balconies connect?  We have two next to each other booked on the Apex.

Yes they should. Which 2 do you have? I toured two that were connected. It made for a nice balcony!

D8399CCB-47C5-483F-9F7E-A67118DD71BC.thumb.jpeg.3e8b6a26cc05388150233dd3a70dd517.jpeg

We have a middle  SV booked on Deck 7 ..very large balc

But it is right over EDEN...hope that does not become an issue..but not

giving it up.. also hope no soot..

Dh really wants that cabin!

Edited by hcat

19 minutes ago, lurkernj said:

Thanks vtcruiser. We are in 12261 and 12263, they look like they should connect. Looks like a thick wall between 12263 and 12265, so maybe it’s every other?

Actually it looked like the ones with firewalls have doors in some of the pictures from last fall. I’ll see if I can find those pictures. Congrats on your SVs - should be lovely back there. I loved the view from 11268!!🙂

2 hours ago, lurkernj said:

Thanks vtcruiser. We are in 12261 and 12263, they look like they should connect. Looks like a thick wall between 12263 and 12265, so maybe it’s every other?

The picture I showed above is of the two balconies of the 2 SV's 2 decks below yours in same position (10269 and 10271). Yours should look the same.

image.png.4a108b2a33c7e4352a2fe05d24ce1ede.png

the balcony of 10269:

image.png.2281e3549af9e4c5f28003489faf7737.png

image.png.3bf4c36aeba4b97dd0093cba43b135ac.png