LABADEE Amiga vs Sandbar

Floating Lanai

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, I'm real sad ... we are in Labadee in August and I do not see the Amiga excursion on the website. Anyone know why?

They've canceled the amiga island excursion for a number of upcoming sailings. From what I've read, the tour operators had to cancel, not sure of the reason though.

Based on the photo on the Cruise Planner, a few years back Amiga Island was included in the Sandbar trip. I don't recall it being given a name, but we pulled in there for a bit after swimming at the sandbar.

There was nothing there but a few locals and lots of trash. Part of it was roped off, and it appeared that there was some sort of development (and I use the term generously) going on. This is another reason I believe it to be the now named Amiga Island.

After stepping on shore for 5 minutes, we all just got back in the water until the boat took us back.

If you like just relaxing in the water without the crowds, you'll like the Sandbar. The term and the Cruise Planner photo are used loosely, as there is no actual dry land. It is a spot in the middle of the ocean where you can stand, water varied from knee to shoulder depth, as I recall. I plan to put a Dollar Store noodle in my suitcase and bring it out there with me on my November stop. I have no need to go to Amiga again. It is beautiful out there, the colors of the water and mountains are amazing.

I'll watch this space for any further info that anybody finds, and if necessary, report back on the Sandbar again after I return.

• 4 months later...

We are considering booking the adult sandbar excursion for our upcoming cruise. Mainly we want to get away from the crowd. It says cash bar on the description. If you have the beverage package is it honored on this excursion since the excursion is through Royal Caribbean?

• 4 months later...

We were last year and got the Amiga Island cancelled on us. We later found out the Sandbar beach was under too much water, so they routed those people to Amiga and cancelled us. I guess it pays to have numbers (and drinkers) on your side.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 11:24 PM, baldilocks said:

We were last year and got the Amiga Island cancelled on us. We later found out the Sandbar beach was under too much water, so they routed those people to Amiga and cancelled us. I guess it pays to have numbers (and drinkers) on your side.

When I was there in November, Amiga also got cancelled, but I was already on  the Sandbar trip.

We left the dock, and lo and behold, after it was too late to cancel,  the guide said that there is too much water at the Sandbar, that it was underwater, so we were going to Amiga instead.

Well, it is always under water, usually just a few feet, which makes for great relaxing in the middle of the ocean (see my other post here). 

Now here's the real info - we had a ship staffer on the tour with us and after a few rum punches, he told us that one or the other gets cancelled every stop, that the operators only have one boat! Not sure how they decide who gets cancelled and who goes.

So, it's a crap shoot which one will go, but in my mind, either one is better than staying on the island. 

• Haha 1