Royal Caribbean is buying majority stake in Silversea for $1bn

Keith1010

Over on the Celebrity forum, posters are wondering if their Captain Club levels with various perks will work on Silversea bookings?

Intersting times in the cruise world for the big corporations.

It would be nice if my 132 Crown and Anchor points translated to 132 Venetian Society days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

I think this move makes sense. It gives Royal Caribbean a presence in the luxury market. Also, the luxury expedition market is booming. This should help Silversea by providing better economies of scale in purchasing provisions for its ships. I wonder if the small Celebrity expedition vessels in the Galapagos Islands will eventually become part of Silversea Expeditions?

Chuck

Hi, I think this move makes sense. It gives Royal Caribbean a presence in the luxury market. Also, the luxury expedition market is booming. This should help Silversea by providing better economies of scale in purchasing provisions for its ships. I wonder if the small Celebrity expedition vessels in the Galapagos Islands will eventually become part of Silversea Expeditions? Chuck

WOW!! Interesting, shocking move this morning. Maybe as noted above, potentially, SS can buy their provisions cheaper. Or, will they learn from Royal Caribbean how to substitute lower quality meats and goods in place of those items that are more costly?? Lots of "trade-offs" are possible as corporate bosses play the game of "Economics 101".

From the Wall Street Journal story this morning, they have this headline: Royal Caribbean to Buy Controlling Stake in Silversea with this subhead: "Cruise giant is paying $1 billion for a 67% interest in the luxury-cruise operator".

Here are more of the Wall Street Journal highlights: Silversea’s largest ship can serve just over 600 passengers, but many have a capacity of 100 to 200. Earlier this year Royal Caribbean debuted Symphony of the Sea, the world’s largest cruise ship, which can serve 5,518 guests. Royal Caribbean has 50 ships across its brands and 11 ships on order as of March.

"MASS" versus "class" can be a very distinctive management and cultural challenge.

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/royal-caribbean-to-buy-controlling-stake-in-silversea-1528974052

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 226,474 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Our second SS cruise leaves in 80+ days, and I am afraid it might be our last. It is sad to hear of some of the already declining service/food reports, but this is kind of the "nail in the coffin" for Silversea's loyal customers. I know only time will tell, but I have never enjoyed my cruises on Royal and that is partly why the move to Silversea. I think we will be looking at more luxury based land vacations or private yachting experiences in the future.

Just received letter and video from Manfredi ,who is to remain in charge.He confirms no change to any existing bookings but may well explain the gradual change to larger ships,Spirit,Muse,and the two new builds"A sad development as small luxury ships has been the solid base to our cruising with SS for 21 years.Time will tell as Manfredi announcement is understandably guarded as he is to continue in charge.

Our second SS cruise leaves in 80+ days, and I am afraid it might be our last. It is sad to hear of some of the already declining service/food reports, but this is kind of the "nail in the coffin" for Silversea's loyal customers. I know only time will tell, but I have never enjoyed my cruises on Royal and that is partly why the move to Silversea. I think we will be looking at more luxury based land vacations or private yachting experiences in the future.

Suggest you read Emperor Norton's commentary about his Seabourn Sojourn cruise.

Given the recent negative experiences posted on these boards by experienced SS cruisers, one has to wonder if SS is throwing in the towel and just going to remarket themselves to a whole new group of cruisers. Rebranding, lowering expectations of service, and threatening people who complain, knowing they will just be replaced by a less discerning cruiser??

I think it's good. RC is trying to capture the business of their customers that want to go upscale so they will not lower the standard of SS. RC has deep pockets so it will allow SS to weather the ups and downs of the market better and now maybe SS will be able to afford high quality meat and seafood. SS will now have access to a very high level of entertainment.

As a couple who really loved our first Azamara cruise and booked a second while cruising need to provide information regarding Azamara and how RCL impacts them and will possibly affect Silverseas. While we continue to remember our onboard experience our experiences with the Azamara home office in Miami have caused us to NEVER consider Azamara again.

It appears RCL is pushing Azamara for more and more profitability at the expense of the guests. Our second booked Azamara cruise was abruptly cancelled in the name of profitability while making wholesale changes to their schedule. The notification was simply a POS with many errors, misstatements, confusion and nothing to make us consider taking their offer of a different (new) TA that was 4 days and 4 ports fewer for the same price we had agreed to.

Others expressed their displeasure with how the cancellation was handled and expressed never again. Our TA tried and tried and never got anywhere and when we reached a final settlement, what was in writing was different from the agreement. Then there is the combined websites and IT departments and the way they are handled. Pretty sure there is a combined IT department handling all three lines as website problems exist on a daily basis across all three lines. Promises to fix things are retunely not kept and even from the top there appears to be a don't care attitude

An example, the Azamara President came on CC to answer questions. Several questions as to why people could not get on the email list and why after finally getting on being dropped. The president's response was to contact a person in charge of the loyalty program and that she would get them on the list. She did this for me twice successfully and was again dropped each time. No mention of directing IT to fix the problems and then consider the majority of people not on CC who would have no idea. On the Azamara and Celebrity boards there are almost daily complaints about the websites, not being able to log in and serious errors but, the problems still continue. Would think that this would be important as emails bring in revenue but, no change for several years.

Believe this will continue once RCL takes control. Be forewarned.

Money people and the NY stock market are viewing this move as a "WIN" for Royal Caribbean. In checking the Wall Street Journal a few minutes ago, their stock value is up by a decent margin today. Of course, a win for Wall Street, does not always equal the best news for Silversea customers. Right or wrong??!!

In November, we will be doing Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, our first sailing with Oceania on their Nautica ship from Athens to Dubai. This 20-day cruise will include our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Oceania is part of the mass-market NCL group. Should we worry or avoid them? But Oceania has a decent reputation, especially for its food. NCL also owns and seems to do well with its Regent Seven Seas luxury brand. Being part of a BIG corporate group could be good or bad. How well will it work for the new and larger RCL?? Wall Street has voted thumbs up.

Full stock details at:

https://quotes.wsj.com/RCL

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 39,519 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

For the past twelve months, here has been the downward slide for RCL, but then the quick upswing today with their stock value due to purchasing Silversea.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-06-14%20at%202.42.35%20PM_zpsc5mdhvpw.png

Glancing thru the many "doom & gloom" emails about the future of Silversea, it reminded me of similar ones a few years ago when NCL bought Regent and Oceania. Those are two of our favorite cruise lines (e.g., been on them 5 times in the last 19 months) and we've seen no "slippery slope" of degradation down to NCL standards. So I'm optimistic that Royal Caribbean will not "muck it up" with Silversea. Azamara (another one of our favorites) is definitely different and much more upscale than Royal Caribbean or Princess.

One area that an influx of $$ would help is giving Silversea a modern expedition fleet. There are many expedition vessels coming out in the next couple of years, including some luxury ones. All three in Silversea's fleet are 24 - 29 years old, albeit recently refurbished. Will they be able to compete with new luxury expedition ships?

Money people and the NY stock market are viewing this move as a "WIN" for Royal Caribbean. In checking the Wall Street Journal a few minutes ago, their stock value is up by a decent margin today. Of course, a win for Wall Street, does not always equal the best news for Silversea customers. Right or wrong??!!

In November, we will be doing Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, our first sailing with Oceania on their Nautica ship from Athens to Dubai. This 20-day cruise will include our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Oceania is part of the mass-market NCL group. Should we worry or avoid them? But Oceania has a decent reputation, especially for its food. NCL also owns and seems to do well with its Regent Seven Seas luxury brand. Being part of a BIG corporate group could be good or bad. How well will it work for the new and larger RCL?? Wall Street has voted thumbs up.

Full stock details at:

https://quotes.wsj.com/RCL

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 39,519 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

For the past twelve months, here has been the downward slide for RCL, but then the quick upswing today with their stock value due to purchasing Silversea.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-06-14%20at%202.42.35%20PM_zpsc5mdhvpw.png

It's a shame you aren't sailing on the Riviera or Marina "O" ships for your first experience on Oceania. It has way better dining options and the staterooms are much better than their older ships.

Edited by JVNYC

Oceania is far from mass market! It's way better! It's a shame you aren't sailing on the Riviera or Marina "O" ships for your first experience on Oceania. It has way better dining options and the staterooms are much better than their older ships.

Appreciate this nice follow-up from our NYC "neighbor". Agree, we would have liked doing the newer "O" ships, but this itinerary featuring the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, the Middle East was so great that it forced us to "compromise" from the ideal "perfect" situation. But, we are going with good friends and it should all work out very well. We will not starve or go homeless during this period.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 233,991 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Appreciate this nice follow-up from our NYC "neighbor". Agree, we would have liked doing the newer "O" ships, but this itinerary featuring the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, the Middle East was so great that it forced us to "compromise" from the ideal "perfect" situation. But, we are going with good friends and it should all work out very well. We will not starve or go homeless during this period.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 233,991 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474[/url]

Indeed, that does sound like a wonderful itinerary....and you will most definitely enjoy it! I hope you do a live report....your photos and commentary are always fantastic!

The challenging part in these acquisitions is always achieving the necessary economies of scale to make the price of the acquisition work financially by consolidating certain administrative functions (eg, purchasing, personnel, advertising, maintenance, etc) while maintaining the separate identity and quality of the brand. This can be a hit or miss process that requires time and patience to work out new procedures and processes. If done right, Silverseas should emerge to be a stronger and more viable brand.

In November, we will be doing Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, our first sailing with Oceania on their Nautica ship from Athens to Dubai. This 20-day cruise will include our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Oceania is part of the mass-market NCL group. Should we worry or avoid them? But Oceania has a decent reputation, especially for its food.

Terry, Oceania was our go-to cruise line before SS. I would definitely sail them again if the itinerary were right. We cruised with them exclusively on the R-class ships, before Marina and Riviera were even built. True, our experience is 10 years old but you will enjoy O, I think. The biggest difference will be having to sign for drinks.

I dont think this is going to be for the best.Has never worked for me in airline takeovers nor with hotels when they merge loyalty schemes.And now when in Feb 2019 we will be only a couple of cruises away from the 350 nights.

With all the speculation on these boards over the last few years of economic troubles at Silversea I guess we should have expected this.

As for the expedition ships-hands off the Explorer it is our favourite despite being old.

I dont think this is going to be for the best.Has never worked for me in airline takeovers nor with hotels when they merge loyalty schemes.And now when in Feb 2019 we will be only a couple of cruises away from the 350 nights.

With all the speculation on these boards over the last few years of economic troubles at Silversea I guess we should have expected this.

As for the expedition ships-hands off the Explorer it is our favourite despite being old.

The 350 nights wouldn’t have had much value if the alternative was insolvency before you reached it.

The 350 nights wouldn’t have had much value if the alternative was insolvency before you reached it.

Been there,done that.

belonged to the Ansett FF loyalty program.Taken over by Air NZ who then let them go belly up.Good bye 1 million FF points.You get over that except that I will never fly Air NZ.

Besides it certainly wasn't definite that the alternative was insolvency.