Cruise Critic Community
jbinbi

Galapagos: Lines other than Celeb and Nat Geo

Looking at a Galapagos trip, but considering some of the expedition companies that have their own boats.

http://www.andeandiscovery.com/galapagos-cruise-ships

https://www.ietravel.com/expedition/galapagos-islands-voyage#accommodations

Or maybe there are other boats and lines? Also looking at celebrity, but looking to machu picchu as well and the celeb after is too many days and $s for what we want. Thanks.

We are looking into Yacht La Pinta (more luxury) owned by Metropolitan Touring, which also owns and operates Santa Cruz II, Finch Bay Eco Hotel on Santa Cruz Island, and Casa Gangotena in Quito (where you get flights into and out of GPS for the expedition). You may want to browse their website for various itineraries. We are interested in the 5D/4N Eastern Route. We need to add at least one night in Quito and GYE for international flight to/from US. Therefore, shortest trip duration is 7-8 days including international travel. Since our schedule is flexible, we shall add 1-2 days in Interesting Quito.

Metropolitan website shows a total of four different expedition lines (which they own) to accommodate various price ranges. I believe they offer a combination tour for both Galápagos Islands and Machu Picchu. We shall also be doing Machu Picchu, but with a different land tour operator whom we prefer for (proven) excellent service and acceptable luxury. As much as we want to combine both trips, we think it is best to visit these places separately for a more relaxed and enjoyable experience.

We just booked with Celeb, and also a land tour for machu picchu. What company are you using for the land tour.

Also, we were thinking about going to Santa Cruz the day before the cruise leaves so we are on the island rather than flying to the island on that morning. Was worried that if we missed that flight, we miss the whole cruise...

We just booked with Celeb, and also a land tour for machu picchu. What company are you using for the land tour.

Also, we were thinking about going to Santa Cruz the day before the cruise leaves so we are on the island rather than flying to the island on that morning. Was worried that if we missed that flight, we miss the whole cruise...

Sorry about late response.

The land tour company may not be suitable for you, because it is non-English speaking tour. Although I also have difficulty translating everything to English, I still join their land tours because the service is superb and the tours are designed to be “door-to-door”, pampered luxury type that I do not need to think or worry much about every step. Their Machu Piccu (9-d/8-nt) tour includes an overnight stay at Belmont Sanctuary Lodge in Machu Piccu. The hotel location allows me to have ample time (after arrival from train ride plus a full day the next day) to explore the area.

Back to the Galapagos Island expedition, I am considering the 7-day Western route instead, because of more islands to visit than the 5-day Eatern Route. Since that the La Pinta cruise includes hotel transfer and air arrangements (1.5-hr flight) between Quito or GYW and GPS airport, and that there are multiple flights between Quito and GPS daily, I need not worry about missing the yacht due to flight delay/cancellation. However, I plan to fly into Quito two days early, just to make sure there is no issue from any delay in international flights.

Which time of the year do you plan to go? Don’t forget to let us know your experience and impression.

We did the Amazon with IE and they are a quality product.

But if you are looking to do something less expensive, check out G Adventures

We've taken a couple of trips with them. Guides have been great. Accommodations very on the low key side.

I traveled with Latin Trails in 2013. They have 3 or 4 yachts. The one we were on is Anahi - very beautiful and comfortable. The guide's name is Tatiana. She was very strict about the rules and told us a lot of interestinf facts. Also she was very positive and communicative with passengers on board.

There are many companies and ships that do the Galapagos with ship sizes from 16 passengers to up to 100 and with comfort levels from basic to luxury.  There is lots of information on the internet about your options.  You need to do some research on your own and then come back with some more specific questions.

DON