Boarding time on the solstice question????

portcbob

Hi fellow cruisers

Cruising on celebrity solstice next March. Embarkation port being Auckland

Ship is scheduled to leave at 8pm.

What time is it likely for passengers to commence boarding if someone has experienced the same time of departure.

The ship arrives in the morning from the previous cruise at 7am.

Many thanks, cheers Bob.

On our first Solstice cruise we got there about 11am and were onboard by noon, on the second cruise we dropped our bags off then went and had lunch at one of the nearby restaurants before boarding - there are quite a few restaurants on Princes Wharf where Solstice usually docks, and around the Viaduct Basin as short walk away.

They seem to be happy to have us onboard early, so we spend money on drinks on the ship, rather than at a land restaurant. ;p

There was a bit of the queue when we boarded early but it moved fairly quickly. I imagine a lot of people were doing what we were doing ie had just checked out of their hotels and decided to go straight to the cruise terminal. The cabins aren't ready that early so you have to lug your carryons around with you to lunch.

• 7 months later...

May I tag onto this topic started by a fellow Solstice cruiser?

Can someone tell us if Celebrity would allow us to check our luggage in sometime prior to noon and then let us embark later in the day?  We understand from others that once we board, we cannot leave the ship.  So we are thinking that we would like to check out of our hotel (Auckland Hilton), get rid of our bags and then do a tour during the afternoon.  Before I book a tour, it would be great to hear from others if this is possible.

If not, we will ask the Hilton to hold our luggage.

13 hours ago, debshomespun said:

Currently in Sydney and board Solstice tomorrow (Jan 31 sailing). We stopped at the terminal today and asked the Porter's how early we could drop off our bags. They said they start at 8:00 AM.

Yep that lines up with my experience. We normally stay at the Holiday Inn and I like to wander over and watch ship arrive and provision I’d say I normally see them taking bags from around 7:00, but 8:00 may be safer.

Most cruise terminals allow luggage to be dropped off from around 8am. However just because the ship leaves at 8pm that doesn't mean that check-in will continue up to that time. On our last Solstice cruise from Auckland final check-in was at 4pm so if you're doing a tour make sure you get back in plenty of time.