Just Off the Ruby Princess June 16th

Eaglecw

Glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise! And thank you for offering to field Q&As. We’ll be on the Ruby going to Alaska in September.

I’m curious about the Anytime Dining room. What block of time were reservation seatings allowed?

One more question...how quickly did the Princess Theater fill up for the evening show?

Thank,you so much!

We are debating the Ruby for a family cruise to Alaska next June. We will have young grandchildren who like to swim. I was wondering if the pools are heated? Or is it just too cold to swim? Also were there many families with children onboard.

Glad you had a great cruise! Thank you for offering to answer questions.

Leaving for Seattle this week on the Ruby the 23rd with family. How is the dress on formal nites ? Do men have to wear Jackets and ties?? Also anytime dinning with 6 of us, was it a long wait. Glad you had good weather and your cruise good. Thank You for taking questions. Betty

I’m curious about the Anytime Dining room. What block of time were reservation seatings allowed?

One more question...how quickly did the Princess Theater fill up for the evening show?

Thank,you so much!

Yes you can make dinner reservations on the Dine line on the ship. We always do the early traditional dining, it works well for us. This cruise we ate at the Da Vinci dining room at 5:15. The Michelangelo Dining room is anytime dining 4:30 to 8:30 and the Da Vinci dining room was from 7:30 – 9:30. We found the food was good, at least I enjoyed it. On Victoria Day dinner we had dinner at 4:30 to accommodate to arrival in Victoria at 7pm, it was busy.

We ate one night at the Crown Grill. It wasn’t the best meal I’ve ever had, not worth the $29.00 cover charge.

The theater would fill up pretty fast, we went to all the shows and got there about 25 – 30 minutes before the show started. We try to sit on the right side of the theater about half way down.

We are debating the Ruby for a family cruise to Alaska next June. We will have young grandchildren who like to swim. I was wondering if the pools are heated? Or is it just too cold to swim? Also were there many families with children onboard.

I don’t know if the pools are heated, I know the hot tubs are. The outside temperature was around 50 - 60 degrees, too cold for me to go swimming but there were a number of kids in the pools most of the time. They were a number of families onboard, with kids of all ages. We became friendly with a family from Indiana who had two 13 year old boys who spent a lot of time up in the teen center.

Leaving for Seattle this week on the Ruby the 23rd with family. How is the dress on formal nites ? Do men have to wear Jackets and ties?? Also anytime dinning with 6 of us, was it a long wait. Glad you had good weather and your cruise good. Thank You for taking questions. Betty

Betty, Formal nights aren’t really very formal on the Alaska cruises. I saw everything on Formal night. A people were dressed up but I’d have to say most people weren’t dressed up. I wear a nice shirt and a tie and a pair of nice slacks, no jacket. My wife wears a nice dress, nothing real fancy. On a side note the days that aren’t formal, it most like anything goes.

With 6 people I'd go with the traditional dining, that way you'd have a guaranteed table.

On embarkation day, if you get on the ship before 1:30 go to the Da Vinci Dinning room for a nice peaceful lunch. There were very few people in the Da Vinci dining room this cruise for the embarkation day lunch, it’s open from Noon to 1:30. The buffet is an absolute zoo on embarkation day, try to stay away from there. We only have breakfast there on one day, Skagway day, we had an early excursion.

Yes you can make dinner reservations on the Dine line on the ship. We always do the early traditional dining, it works well for us. This cruise we ate at the Da Vinci dining room at 5:15. The Michelangelo Dining room is anytime dining 4:30 to 8:30 and the Da Vinci dining room was from 7:30 – 9:30. We found the food was good, at least I enjoyed it. On Victoria Day dinner we had dinner at 4:30 to accommodate to arrival in Victoria at 7pm, it was busy.

We ate one night at the Crown Grill. It wasn’t the best meal I’ve ever had, not worth the $29.00 cover charge.

The theater would fill up pretty fast, we went to all the shows and got there about 25 – 30 minutes before the show started. We try to sit on the right side of the theater about half way down.

Thank you Eaglecw for taking the time to answer questions! I will try to the Dine Line and very good to know about Crown Grill. That was my feeling about the Crown Grill when we were on the Regal last fall.

Thank you Eaglecw for taking the time to answer questions! I will try to the Dine Line and very good to know about Crown Grill. That was my feeling about the Crown Grill when we were on the Regal last fall.

No worries, glad I can help. We talked about going to Share as I heard it was good. We sail again on the Ruby in September and we'll give Share a try I'm done with the Crown Grill. I can go to the Outback or Applebee's for a better meal.

We also were on this cruise. Weather was perfect! I agree Crown Grill was not worth the money. Salty Dog was okay for lite fare. Don’t go if you are really hungry because portions are very small. The scenery was beautiful. The train up the Yukon with Chilkott was best excursion and Emerald Lake is breathtaking. We saw a moose swimming by the ship. When he got to the other side he collapsed he was so tired, We also saw 4 bears. You will definitely have a nice time. And there were people and kids in the pools. They are heated. Great cruise which I’m sure we will do again some day

No worries, glad I can help. We talked about going to Share as I heard it was good. We sail again on the Ruby in September and we'll give Share a try I'm done with the Crown Grill. I can go to the Outback or Applebee's for a better meal.

Oh yeah! We have never tried Share before either. If we have some extra OBC maybe we’ll try that. For sure no Crown Grill.

We just got off the Ruby Princess on Saturday June 16th. It was another wonderful cruise to Alaska, our 14th. The weather was good. If you've got Questions I've got Answers.

Do you know if u buy drinks and beer for rooms, can you take them outside of cabin, like to dinner or just for strolling around on ship. Thanks much

Oh my! That is sad news about the Crown Grill. We will be embarking 10/27 on the Ruby for 14 days and were looking forward to eating in the Crown Grill three or four times during the cruise. Now I'm not so sure.

It is our first cruise on the Ruby and we are already disappointed that the ship does not have Alfredo's as a dining choice. Do you think the Crown Grill has become poor on just this ship or company wide?

Oh my! That is sad news about the Crown Grill. We will be embarking 10/27 on the Ruby for 14 days and were looking forward to eating in the Crown Grill three or four times during the cruise. Now I'm not so sure.

It is our first cruise on the Ruby and we are already disappointed that the ship does not have Alfredo's as a dining choice. Do you think the Crown Grill has become poor on just this ship or company wide?

We dine in the specialty restaurants 4 or 5 times per cruise. We find that the Crown Grill and Sabatini's are very inconsistent. Not that we've ever had a horrible experience in either. Our experiences have ranged from "Excellent" to "OK." It is very dependent on the room management. If the chef or the headwaiter do not demand top performance from their subordinates, the customer will see it. If the chef and the headwaiter do demand top performance from their subordinates, the customer will see it. I do not think it is anything about the Ruby Princess, it is a matter of what management is running the room at the time.

My point is that if you want to visit Crown Grill, you should not solely rely on a report from a sailing months before yours. Try it for yourself. If you like it, you have plenty of time on a 14-day cruise to visit again. If you do not enjoy it, there are multiple other options for you.

Notice I did not mention SHARE, above. In 8 or 10 visits to SHARE (on the Ruby Princess and on the Emerald Princess), I have had excellent experiences every time. However, I get the fact that the menu may not appeal to everybody. I actually like the fact that SHARE is not terribly popular. Every time I have visited, I have received excellent attention from the wait staff and the headwaiter. Of course, I have also read reports, here on Cruise Critic, where the attention to service in SHARE has been unacceptable. I believe those reports. It happens.

We have a 7-day cruise booked on the Ruby Princess, this December. On embarkation day we will dine in either SHARE or Crown Grill. The next evening we will dine in the other one. Based on our initial experiences those evenings, we will make our plans for the rest of the cruise.

We just got off the Ruby Princess on Saturday June 16th. It was another wonderful cruise to Alaska, our 14th. The weather was good. If you've got Questions I've got Answers.

We leave this Saturday for our first Alaskan cruise on the Ruby. What was your favorite things on the ship that we might not realize we must do/experience/ make sure to explore?

We are keen on the idea of the Sanctuary. Did you have any time there?

We were on this cruise too... it was our 8th cruise to Alaska and we had a great time!

We ate in the Crown Grill also, but had a really good meal and great service. I had the Filet Mignon and it was delicious! I did hear from other cruisers that they weren’t as lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this the time of year that has the extended daylight? My only cruise to Alaska was the end of July, early August. But it was socked in and rained all week. Never saw the the midnight sun. :(

Is this the time of year that has the extended daylight? My only cruise to Alaska was the end of July, early August. But it was socked in and rained all week. Never saw the the midnight sun. :(

The weather does need to cooperate!

The summer solstice (longest daylight of the year) is June 21. While the days are long in the inner passage ports with sunrise at 3:51 am and sunset at 10:07 pm in Juneau (18 1/4 hours of daylight), they get even longer as you head north. Anchorage has sunrise at 4:20 am and sunset at 11:42 pm (almost 19 1/2 hours of daylight). Talkeetna has sunrise at 4:04 am and sunset at 11:59 pm (almost 20 hours of daylight). Fairbanks has sunrise at 2:57 am and sunset at 12:45 am (almost 22 hours of daylight).

This is an informative website giving sunrises and sunsets by day around the world: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/. Just search on the city.

Do you know if u buy drinks and beer for rooms, can you take them outside of cabin, like to dinner or just for strolling around on ship. Thanks much

The only drink you can't carry with you wherever you go is a bottle of wine on which you didn't pay corkage.

One bottle/adult passenger is free...no corkage. If you bring more than one, you pay corkage on the "extras" ($15/bottle). If you carry that "free" bottle to a dining room, the waiter will charge you corkage (even if it's already open and 1/2 gone).

Are y’all staying in Seattle any? Looking for suggestions on hotel. We leave on Alaska Ruby Princess September 1 Andy plan to stay 2 nights in Seattle. Thanks for any info. Look forward to your comments after Cruise

Thrilled, you had a wonderful time! Going September 1. Wondering about massages, whale watching excursion. Also, we plan to stay in Seattle but room rates are so expensive. Did you stay in Seattle? If so any recommendations on hotels. Thanks much

We were on the Ruby in March, the food was very good