adriatic sea conditions

Hi all, don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question, but I'm sure you lovely people will put me right.

We are really keen to do an adriatic cruise (poss Sep/Oct) but as DH and I are both sufferers of the dreaded sea sickness I wondered what conditions we could expect on this type of itinerary?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

I’m a bit concerned as we sail in a fortnight - today the Norwegian star has been unable to dock at Gruz for Dubrovnik because of high winds. They’ve had to miss their last day and sail out to sea instead. Will this have been the port decision or the Captain’s ?

Hi all, don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question, but I'm sure you lovely people will put me right.

We are really keen to do an adriatic cruise (poss Sep/Oct) but as DH and I are both sufferers of the dreaded sea sickness I wondered what conditions we could expect on this type of itinerary?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

As previously posted, conditions are impossible to predict. We sailed the Adriatic in October and the sea was like a sheet of glass .

I’m a bit concerned as we sail in a fortnight - today the Norwegian star has been unable to dock at Gruz for Dubrovnik because of high winds. They’ve had to miss their last day and sail out to sea instead. Will this have been the port decision or the Captain’s ?

It could have been either. Sometimes a captain will try an approach a couple of times but if he deems there is a danger to the ship, he will decide not to dock. Or he may just make that decision based on a knowledge of the conditions and the area.

At other times, the port may actually be closed. We had that happen on a cruise in October a few years back -- very high winds at the port (Civitavecchia) for Rome. The captain valiantly tried to get into the port a couple of times, and then we stood by, waiting for conditions to improve. However, about an hour later the port was closed. We had no choice. It must have been very disappointing for those onboard who hadn't been to Rome previously, but everyone was very understanding because it was clear that the captain had done what he could....

We just did a Rome to Venice via Southern Italy and Adriatic cruise in May/June. It was a WindStar cruise (tint boat in comparison to the huge cruise ships) and the water was like glass. Most of the ship, we never felt the boat move!

Sent from my iPad using Forums