Stockholm transportation

cfly

We will be docking at Stadsgarden 167 at 8am and want to go to Vasa early in the morning , then to the Royal Palace for the changing of the guard, and then walk around Gamla Stan before our ship departs at 5pm.

I am thinking that a taxi will be the quickest and most cost effective for 2 people. It looks like the HOHO boat would be about twice the cost of this since we would have to buy two 24 hour tickets.

Does anyone know if there is a single ticket to Vasa option in July? Any suggestions are appreciated.

IIRC they stopped selling one-stop-tickets a few years ago, it probably wasn't profitable. A taxi would cost around 300 SEK (~ 34 USD)

so I agree it would be cheaper the HoHo boats. It would not necessary be quicker though since there could be lots of traffic

in the morning and with the construction of Slussen things could be even worse.

I don't know which date and at what time your ship will berth but there is a third option which is the harbour ferry M/S Emelie.

It has a stop at S167 cruise berth (Masthamnen) and it has temporarily changed from stopping at Allmänna gränd to stopping at Vasa.

It would be the cheapest option and the quickest option but it depends on when your ship berths and how fast you

could disembark. M/S Emelie leaves once an hour 07.28, 08.28, 09.38.... and it only costs 60 SEK (~7 USD) for an adult,

You buy tickets on board the ship from ticket machines and it requires a VISA card or a MasterCard.

http://ressel.se/?page_id=1430&lang=sv http://ressel.se/?page_id=3628&lang=sv

thank you so much for that helpful information. Our ship docks at 8 am so I am assuming I will be able to follow the painted line to the MS Emilie, and pay onboard, even if I have to wait a bit for the boat. Do you think it will be packed with cruise passengers doing this? I have two more questions. What is the best way to get fromVasa to the Palace-I am thinking ataxi will be fastest.

To return to the ship from Gamla |Stan can I take a boat from Slussen or would a taxi be better? Thanks again.

The 24-hour transportation card for Stockholm is fantastic. Works on all buses, trains, trams, metro, and most ferries. Taking the ferry over from the Vasa to Gamla Stan is fun, fast, and convenient. Board by the amusement park Grona Lund. Or you can take tram #7 from the Vasa around the other side.

I am thinking that a taxi will be the quickest and most cost effective for 2 people. It looks like the HOHO boat would be about twice the cost of this since we would have to buy two 24 hour tickets.

That’s exactly what we did. We got off the ship at around 9.00 and caught a taxi straight to the Vasa, which was cheaper than two tickets on the HOHO bus/boat. The journey was about 20 minutes from memory, and we managed to get to the Vasa before the large tour groups arrived, so no lines to get in.

Th walk back through the old town takes you past the Royal Palace, so timing it right will let you see the changing of the guard at midday.

That’s exactly what we did. We got off the ship at around 9.00 and caught a taxi straight to the Vasa, which was cheaper than two tickets on the HOHO bus/boat. The journey was about 20 minutes from memory, and we managed to get to the Vasa before the large tour groups arrived, so no lines to get in.

Th walk back through the old town takes you past the Royal Palace, so timing it right will let you see the changing of the guard at midday.

Was it easy to find a taxi to take you back to the ship?

Just a heads up if you schedule a car. We disembarked at Nyashaum. Due to rough water they portaged everyone off in the small boats. It took hours. Line up early!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not planning to rent a car but good information about the port. Based on what you are saying, this might be a good port to take a ship`s tour.

thanks for all the input. I think we will take a taxi directly to Vasa in the morning. We might want to take the ferry over to Old Town just to have the experience. Is there a place to buy a single travel ticket right there before we board? We do want to see the Royal Palace horse show so will try to time it right by leaving Vasa at 11:30 .

At the ferry both in Gamla Stan and at Djurgarden, they have a ticket kiosk and also a booth with a live agent to help you right at the entry. The ferry at Djurgarden is about a 10-minute walk south of the Vasa and right next to the entrance of the Grona Lund amusement park. The ferry in Gamla Stan I think is called Slussen Kajen (Google Map it) and is located about 100-yards south of Mister French restaurant.

Taxi is probably the easiest way to get to the Vasa from your ship with the least amount of walking--but we try to burn off calories from the food by walking so if your cruise ship arrives earlier than the Vasa is open, you could get exercise and take the ferry over from Gamla Stan to Djurgarden, get the 24-hour card for like $12ea, and take the #7 tram from the Vasa to Strandvagen as it's a pretty walk on a sunny day over to Gamla Stan and the palace from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up for those who are planning to travel with the commuter train from Nynäshamn.

The new commuter train stations Stockholm City and Odenplan are currently closed until furher notice due to problems with the escalators. The commuter trains will not stop there. So if you are on a cruise or going on a cruise that berths at Nynäshman and you have planned to use the commuter train I would consider an alternate method of transport or at least have a backup plan just in case.

https://sl.se/en/eng-info/major-disruptions/stockholm-city-stockholm-odenplan/

If you are on a cruise and planning on using pubic transportation you could use this route until the trains stops at Stockholm city station again.

Commuter train from Nynäshamn to Södra station (Swedenborgsgatan exit) -> bus 55 towards Hjorthagen, get off at Kungsträdgården -> bus 76 towards Ropsten from Kungsträdgården to Djurgårdsbron -> walk from across the bridge to Vasa.

It is not known how long these two stations will be closed but it could be over a week.

The tracks used by the Intercity and regional trains is unavailable between Södra station and Stockholm central station due to long

planned renovation/repair/upgrade works which will go on until 19 August..

If you are on a cruise and planning on using pubic transportation you could use this route until the trains stops at Stockholm city station again.

Commuter train from Nynäshamn to Södra station (Swedenborgsgatan exit) -> bus 55 towards Hjorthagen, get off at Kungsträdgården -> bus 76 towards Ropsten from Kungsträdgården to Djurgårdsbron -> walk from across the bridge to Vasa.

It is not known how long these two stations will be closed but it could be over a week.

The tracks used by the Intercity and regional trains is unavailable between Södra station and Stockholm central station due to long

planned renovation/repair/upgrade works which will go on until 19 August..

Thank You! We're flying out today and I'm glad I caught this. If we plan to make City Hall our first stop, how would we get there? We were just going to walk from Stockholm City.

Thank You! We're flying out today and I'm glad I caught this. If we plan to make City Hall our first stop, how would we get there? We were just going to walk from Stockholm City.

From where, when and how do you intend to travel to Stockholm City?

If from Arlanda with Arlanda Express this does not affect you since they don't use Stockholm city station

but Stockholm central station.

For those who are arriving from Nynäshamn and want to travel to Stadshuset instead of Vasa:

From South of Stockholm Södra Station is the where you have to get off and from

Södra Station There a few different options.

1. Blue Bus #4 from Södra Station (Roselundsgatan exit) towards Radiohuset, get off at Mariebergsgatan
    from where you should go with bus #50 towards Stora Lappkärrsberget. Get off at Stadshuset.
  2. Bus 55 or 57 from Södra Station (Swedenborgsgatan exit) towards Hjortagen (55) / Karolinska sjukhuset (57).
    Get off at Slussen/Södermalmstorg and go with bue bus #3. Get off at Stadshuset.

From North (Solna station).

1. Bus #67 from Solna station towards Skansen, get off at Karolinska sjukhuset Eugeniavägen ,
    from there go with blue bus #3 towards Södersjukhuset, get off at Stadshuset.
  2. Tvärbanan (tram) #22 towards Sickla, get off at Solna Centrum. From there subway blue line #11
    towards Kungsträdgården, get off at Fridhemsplan. Then go with bus #50 towards Stora Lappkärrsberget,
    get off at Satdshuset.
    There also extra buses between Solna station and Solna Centrum due the closure of Stockholm City station.
    However I don't know if they have a number or what the destination signs says.

Note that routes/connections might vary depending on day and time of day.

Weekends have less frequent traffic then weekdays.

Use https://sl.se/en/ to find connections. All results with a pink/purple symbol and a white line number is commuter trains

and should be avoided until Stockholm CIty station re-opens, unless you intend to bypass Stockholm City station.

Edited by Desdichado62

For those who are arriving from Nynäshamn and want to travel to Stadshuset instead of Vasa:

From South of Stockholm Södra Station is the where you have to get off and from

Södra Station There a few different options.

1. Blue Bus #4 from Södra Station (Roselundsgatan exit) towards Radiohuset, get off at Mariebergsgatan
    from where you should go with bus #50 towards Stora Lappkärrsberget. Get off at Stadshuset.
  2. Bus 55 or 57 from Södra Station (Swedenborgsgatan exit) towards Hjortagen (55) / Karolinska sjukhuset (57).
    Get off at Slussen/Södermalmstorg and go with bue bus #3. Get off at Stadshuset.

Thanks again. We will be coming from Nynashamn on July 24th. Any chance the construction will be done by then? It seems quite confusing with so many transfers now.

[Thanks again. We will be coming from Nynashamn on July 24th. Any chance the construction will be done by then? It seems quite confusing with so many transfers now.

I don't know and I don't think there will be any more info until Monday.

Another option is to get off at Södra station, use Swedenborgsgatan exit -> walk to Mariatorget subway

(north on Swedenborgsgatan) -> go with the subway to T-centralen and walk to Stadshuset from there.

T-centralen Red-line is two levels above Stockholm city station (see image below)

The ticket/travel card that you bought for the commuter train is valid for buses and subways as well.

Mariatorget is a stop on both red lines.

Northbound: #13 towards Ropsten and #14 towards Mörby centrum. (from Nynäshamn).

Southbound: #13 towards Norsborg and #14 towards #Fruängen (to Nynäshamn).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stockholms+s%C3%B6dra/Mariatorget+T-bana,+Stockholm/@59.3140292,18.0620457,15.75z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77ef91a9837f:0x84770f0284c7055b!2m2!1d18.0644937!2d59.3141714!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77e5bcff4d3f:0x60cab16b68569179!2m2!1d18.0632484!2d59.3169863!3e2?hl=sv

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stockholms+s%C3%B6dra/T-Centralen,+Stockholm/@59.3225395,18.0483237,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77ef91a9837f:0x84770f0284c7055b!2m2!1d18.0644937!2d59.3141714!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d60812e6cc7:0xbe2201dc8bf32611!2m2!1d18.0592629!2d59.330947!2m3!5e1!7e2!8j1532419200!3e3?hl=sv

https://sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/Tub.pdf

Citybanan2_fp_proj_slide_img.png

Thanks again. We will be coming from Nynashamn on July 24th. Any chance the construction will be done by then? It seems quite confusing with so many transfers now.

At the moment I think it is in doubt if Stockholm City station will have opened again next Tuesday.

However since Odenplan station has re-opened the easiest for you would be to get off the commuter train

at Odenplan and then go with the subway to T-centralen.

Green lines #17 towards Skarpnäck, #18 towards Farsta strand and #19 towards Hagsätra all stops at Odenplan.

Odenplan station map: https://sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/odenplan_stn.pdf

Thanks again. I'm only checking internet occasionally. From a link on the visit Nynashamn website, I put in my travel date of July 24, and it had me taking the train all the way to Stockholm City. I hope that will be OK. The website used was Samtrafiken Resrobot. I don't know how reliable that is.

Thanks again. I'm only checking internet occasionally. From a link on the visit Nynashamn website, I put in my travel date of July 24, and it had me taking the train all the way to Stockholm City. I hope that will be OK. The website used was Samtrafiken Resrobot. I don't know how reliable that is.

It is usually reliable but during unplanned disruptions it doesn't take always changes into equation.

Use this https://sl.se/en/ or my directions above. At the moment the easiest is to change

to subway at Odenplan station.