Stockholm transportation

cfly

At the moment I think it is in doubt if Stockholm City station will have opened again next Tuesday.

However since Odenplan station has re-opened the easiest for you would be to get off the commuter train

at Odenplan and then go with the subway to T-centralen.

Green lines #17 towards Skarpnäck, #18 towards Farsta strand and #19 towards Hagsätra all stops at Odenplan.

Odenplan station map: https://sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/odenplan_stn.pdf

Hi Desdichado62, and thanks again for all of your help. We arrive in Nynashamn tomorrow. I understand Stockholm Central is still closed. Just wanted to check on a few things. Is T central the same general station as Stockholm Central, except that it is for the metro rather than the commuter train?

When I just checked the SL website, the directions have me getting off at Stockholm Sodra instead of Odenplan which you recommended. Do you still recommend Odenplan over Stockholm Sodra? And either way, I was previously planning about an hour for the train trip. How long should I now plan for the trip with transfers?

Looking forwards to visiting your country tomorrow. Thanks.

Hi Desdichado62, and thanks again for all of your help. We arrive in Nynashamn tomorrow. I understand

Stockholm Central is still closed. Just wanted to check on a few things. Is T central the same general

station as Stockholm Central, except that it is for the metro rather than the commuter train?

When I just checked the SL website, the directions have me getting off at Stockholm Sodra instead

of Odenplan which you recommended. Do you still recommend Odenplan over Stockholm Sodra?

And either way, I was previously planning about an hour for the train trip. How long should

I now plan for the trip with transfers?

Just for the clarifications. There are three stations in one in central Stockholm.

Stockholm central station, T-centralen and Stockholm city station are a mega station in 4 levels

where Central station handles regional trains and intercity trains from many parts of the country.

T-centralen is for subway and Stockholm City station is for commuter train.

Stockholm central station is open although there aren't much train going there at the moment due to track works,

T-centralen is also open and operates as normal. Stockholm city station on the other hand is still closed.

You should most definitely continue to Odenplan and use subway from there. It will take a few min longer but

It is the most convenient way to change. All you have to do is to take the escalators one level up from

the commuter train platform to the subway platform.https://sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/odenplan_stn.pdf

Subway direction: Skarpnäck/Farsta strand/Hagsätra (southbound). There are two stops in-between

Odenplan and T-centralen (Rådmansgatan and Hötorget) = Odenplan->Rådmansgatan->Hötorget-T-centralen.

At T-centralen use directions for Vasagatan exit.

. How long should I now plan for the trip with transfers?

I forgot to say, It might take another 20 minutes or so compared to what it would take when getting off at Stockholm city.

Just wanted to say thank you for all of your help. We had a wonderful day in Stockholm today. Your instructions made our trip so much easier. We took the train to Odenplan, and transferred to a green line train. Only problem was we had to walk up the escalator at Odenplan as it was not working.

I know we missed out on sailing through the arpeggio, but I liked having the extra time to spend in Stockholm, and the trip itself was very easy.

Just wanted to say thank you for all of your help. We had a wonderful day in Stockholm today. Your instructions made our trip so much easier. We took the train to Odenplan, and transferred to a green line train. Only problem was we had to walk up the escalator at Odenplan as it was not working.

I know we missed out on sailing through the arpeggio, but I liked having the extra time to spend in Stockholm,

and the trip itself was very easy.

My recommendation to other cruisers is to choose a cruise line that always berths in Stockholm

so that you get the sail through as well as a full day in Stockholm.

Good to hear that my instructions worked though.

• 2 weeks later...
My recommendation to other cruisers is to choose a cruise line that always berths in Stockholm

so that you get the sail through as well as a full day in Stockholm.

^^^ This!

We docked in Nynashamn last week on NCL Breakaway, and getting to Stockholm was a debacle. We took train, which was great going to Stockholm. On the return, there was a disruption in line due to maintenance, we had to exit train in Hamden, find replacement buses which were a 10-minute walk away and hard to find, which took us two stations away before we got back on train to return to Nynashamn. This confusion will likely cause some to miss ship, and I've heard of similar issues with other past cruises. In talking to those who took ship-based excurions on buses, they did not fare any better. A large company like Norwegian should be able to easily work with SL to arrange the train for all passengers and ensure the end-to-end journey in both directions. NCL really didn't seem to care and only made the situation worse. Their Guest Services was a disgrace and only left everyone who talked with them angry and frustrated. Despite the train issues and return risk that we faced, I still feel like it was the better option. The all-day ticket also covered us for transport within Stockholm, including the Djurgarden ferry from Gamla Stan, and Tram 7 back to Kungstragarden.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We have a overnight in port in Stockholm.

At this stage our berth is V523 Vartahamen.

I am guess sharing a taxi may be the most efficient way to get into town on the first morning.

However, for the trip back in the evening, and for the 2nd day the train looks an option.

I see Gardet station on Line 13 is about 800m from the berth.

Is that walk pedestrian friendly ?

Also, for the train would a ticket be able to be bought at Gardet ?

If we wanted to buy a 24 / 72 hr travelcard would this be available there or only in town ?

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

We have a overnight in port in Stockholm.

At this stage our berth is V523 Vartahamen.

I am guess sharing a taxi may be the most efficient way to get into town on the first morning.

However, for the trip back in the evening, and for the 2nd day the train looks an option.

I see Gardet station on Line 13 is about 800m from the berth.

Is that walk pedestrian friendly ?

Also, for the train would a ticket be able to be bought at Gardet ?

If we wanted to buy a 24 / 72 hr travelcard would this be available there or only in town ?

Thanks.

It's the subway not a train. 😉 Travelcards/tickets are available at many different places around Stockholm.
At Gärdet subway station you can buy a travel card at Pressbyrån kiosk*. The route is pedestrian friendly and there are also signs to show directions. You can also travel by bus line #76 . Use the journey planner on the sl.se link below. The nearest stop to berth is Malmvägen stop or Hangövägen stop.

You  can also buy tickets at Ica Kvantum which is very close to where you berth.

*all pressbyrån kiosks will sell tickets and travelcards. You can also see all sales point on this map: https://sl.se/en/

click the blue square in the map and select sales point.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 8:02 AM, Desdichado62 said:

IIRC they stopped selling one-stop-tickets a few years ago, it probably wasn't profitable. A taxi would cost around 300 SEK (~ 34 USD)

so I agree it would be cheaper the HoHo boats. It would not necessary be quicker though since there could be lots of traffic

in the morning and with the construction of Slussen things could be even worse.

I don't know which date and at what time your ship will berth but there is a third option which is the harbour ferry M/S Emelie.

It has a stop at S167 cruise berth (Masthamnen) and it has temporarily changed from stopping at Allmänna gränd to stopping at Vasa.

It would be the cheapest option and the quickest option but it depends on when your ship berths and how fast you

could disembark. M/S Emelie leaves once an hour 07.28, 08.28, 09.38.... and it only costs 60 SEK (~7 USD) for an adult,

You buy tickets on board the ship from ticket machines and it requires a VISA card or a MasterCard.

http://ressel.se/?page_id=1430&lang=sv http://ressel.se/?page_id=3628&lang=sv

We will be on Breakaway in September stopping in Nynashamn.

I am disappointed that we will miss the cruise portion farther up the archipelago and was wondering if MS Emelie is an option for us?

Where is the first stop of MS Emelie - would it be an option to get a taxi from Nynashamn to this first stop?

Would the cruise on MS Emelie provide a very scenic view into Stockhom that we will obviously miss since the Breakaway only goes to Nynashamn?

Or should we just accept that the train is a better option into Stockholm?

Thanks for any assistance!

6 hours ago, Mercury said:

We will be on Breakaway in September stopping in Nynashamn.

I am disappointed that we will miss the cruise portion farther up the archipelago and was wondering if MS Emelie is an option for us?

Where is the first stop of MS Emelie - would it be an option to get a taxi from Nynashamn to this first stop?

Would the cruise on MS Emelie provide a very scenic view into Stockhom that we will obviously miss since the Breakaway only goes to Nynashamn?

Or should we just accept that the train is a better option into Stockholm?

Thanks for any assistance!

M/S Emelie is just a harbour ferry. You will have to use another transport into Stockholm.

This is the route:

Karta-2017.jpg

She origins from Barnängsbryggan at 07.14, 08.14 ... you should get off at Djurgården (Allmänna gränd).

On 3/16/2019 at 2:43 AM, Desdichado62 said:

This is the route:

We had already planned on taking this harbour ferry.

I notice on the route map they mention stops with cafes / bars nearby suggested.

Which stop would you recommend to get off to enjoy for  mid - late afternoon drink / eat ?

We don't have any time pressures on the first day as we overnight.

Thanks again.

Edited by Tranquility Base

14 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

We had already planned on taking this harbour ferry.

I notice on the route map they mention stops with cafes / bars nearby suggested.

Which stop would you recommend to get off to enjoy for  mid - late afternoon drink / eat ?

We don't have any time pressures on the first day as we overnight.

Thanks again.

I don't know really. Possible this one?

https://www.tripadvisor.se/ShowUserReviews-g189852-d812304-r177863742-Gruvan_flickorna_Helin_och_Voltaire-Stockholm.html

In that case, get off at Djurgården/Allmänna gränd and walk 900m

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Allmänna+gränd/Rosendalsvägen+14,+115+21+Stockholm/@59.3263916,18.0967942,16.5z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d5547c2528b:0x30c914a4f5a65e1d!2m2!1d18.094564!2d59.3240724!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f82ac96ac7f1b:0x8aa00f5580cabc05!2m2!1d18.1025228!2d59.3285923!3e2

There is also the Viking museum close by:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vikingaliv+The+Viking+Museum/@59.3266047,18.0932857,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x465f9d44a4dedd9d:0x894d02084306e0a3!8m2!3d59.3266024!4d18.0951262

Edited by Desdichado62