Getting from Port Liberty to Union Station

so I am the vacation planner for my wife and I-been doing it for years-but I think I may have made a rookie mistake.

We are taking the train back to Richmond after our Anthem cruise. We should be back at port at 7 am. And I booked tickets on the train that leaves Union Station at 10:35am. We get back on a Thursday morning.

When I booked the train I thought “oh that gives us plenty of time” but now I’m second guessing myself.

Is this doable? What’s the best/fastest way to get to Union Station from Port Liberty?

Whoops. New York Penn Station. Sorry.

I’m guessing Uber would be fastest but at that time of day with rush hour traffic going into NYC, not sure it’s going to happen. I’ve made the drive many times and it’s something you just can’t count on. You could luck out and be there in less than an hour or . . . .

As others have said, going to Penn Station in Newark is much easier and quicker and cheaper. Talk to Amtrak about the change, it should not be a big deal since you are going to get on the same train just at a different and later stop on the line. No way you want to deal with tunnels and traffic going into NYC only to come right back to NJ.

If you have to go to NYC consider just going to Newark Liberty Airport and getting a train into the city from there. All of the NJ transit trains that stop at the airport, and Newark Penn and Seacacus too go right into to Penn Station. That is a poor second choice to just going right to Newark Penn.

You want to leave from Newark. It’s going to cost $ to schlep into the city (opposition direction from DC). The next stop after NY penn station is Newark penn station going towards DC. Newark is a quick cab from cape liberty.

Whoops. New York Penn Station. Sorry.

If you can change it to Newark Penn Station, you'll save yourself time and energy. Thursday morning heading into Manhattan could take at least an hour (or more) from Bayonne to midtown Manhattan (31st St & 8th Ave). I take the train between NYC and DC all the time and since you're cruising from Bayonne I would definitely do Newark Penn Station instead of NY Penn.

We stayed near New York Penn Station after an Anthem Cruise just a couple of weeks ago. We used Dial7 for the 4 of us and 3 large suitcases. It was right around $100 for a town car. UberXL would have been about the same price. It took about an hour to get from port to the hotel.

As others have said, New Jersey Penn Station is a much better option. Call Amtrak to make the change and just call an Uber/Lyft to get you there. Should be around $30 or so.

Thank you all SO MUCH! I called Amtrak and it took the lady I spoke to like 30 seconds to change us to Newark Penn Station now leaving at 10:53 AM.

I feel like a dummy not doing that at the beginning (first time taking the train). It was so easy and didn’t cost us anything to change the reservation. I was shocked because doing that with an airline is a major headache!

So what are your suggestions for getting from Anthem to Newark Penn Station?

Edited by BigHouseFootball
Spelling

Thank you all SO MUCH! I called Amtrak and it took the lady I spoke to like 30 seconds to change us to Newark Penn Station now leaving at 10:53 AM.

I feel like a dummy not doing that at the beginning (first time taking the train). It was so easy and didn’t cost us anything to change the reservation. I was shocked because doing that with an airline is a major headache!

So what are your suggestions for getting from Anthem to Newark Penn Station?

Uber or Lyft. It’ll be $30-$40 depending on what day and time. It’s only 11 miles but that’s 30-40 minutes of driving time.

https://www.uber.com/fare-estimate/

You are not a dummy, you made an error,came here and asked your question, listened to the answers and followed the advice and saved yourself time and money and maybe helped others looking at the same situation. Dummies ask questions and then don't listen to the answers or follow the advice they get, when the advice is really good. Uber,Lyft or a taxi from Bayonne to Newark Penn. For a bit more money you could do Dial 7 or Carmel Car Service.

There have been comments posted about folks having problems getting Uber/Lyft pickups at Cape Liberty. Your plan B should be to go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty to get transportation to Newark Penn Station.

I'm taking a Lyft. But more people have more knowledge of this than me. The train is nicer than flying. I get my latte and Danish and enjoy the ride. 2 suitcases free and room to stretch out. Just curious, how are you going up?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Cruise leaves on a Saturday (5 day Bermuda) and we are taking the train from Richmond on Wednesday and taking it to New York Penn Station. We are staying at Yotel (had a friend stay there and said it was clean, safe, and affordable for NYC). We are on the waitlist for Colbert, really hope we get tickets for him!

How about you?

You are not a dummy, you made an error,came here and asked your question, listened to the answers and followed the advice and saved yourself time and money and maybe helped others looking at the same situation. Dummies ask questions and then don't listen to the answers or follow the advice they get, when the advice is really good. Uber,Lyft or a taxi from Bayonne to Newark Penn. For a bit more money you could do Dial 7 or Carmel Car Service.

Thank you for the kind words. I may very well use Dial 7 or Carmel Car Service to get us from our hotel in NYC to the port.

Thank you for the kind words. I may very well use Dial 7 or Carmel Car Service to get us from our hotel in NYC to the port.

Definitely hire a service to go from NYC to Bayonne. It’ll be the same as a cab or Uber since you’re crossing the state line and taking the Holland Tunnel.

It was roughly $85 for a “basic” car from Dial7, we upgraded to the Towncar since there were 4 of us and we had a fair amount of luggage for our 9-night cruise and 3 nights in NYC. That was $100 (after gratuity).

Excellent. Thank you. It’s just the wife and I so the “basic” should work just fine for us.

We are planning on walking from New York Penn Station to the hotel...I’m assuming this is a normal thing to see in NYC? I ask because I know if I saw people walking down the sidewalk in Richmond I’d definitely think it was strange haha!

Excellent. Thank you. It’s just the wife and I so the “basic” should work just fine for us.

We are planning on walking from New York Penn Station to the hotel...I’m assuming this is a normal thing to see in NYC? I ask because I know if I saw people walking down the sidewalk in Richmond I’d definitely think it was strange haha!

I probably wouldn’t, but that’s your call. Taxi from NYC Penn Station to Times Square was around $20. A New York block and a Vegas block have a lot in common.

Folks walk in the Penn Station area of NY with luggage. I did it in January and saw many others as well. You want to exit the station onto 8th Ave, walk north to 41st, and west to 10th. If you decide on a cab, you can get one at the station going north on 8th Ave. Corners are mostly curbless, which is helpful with rolling luggage.

People walking with luggage is very normal in NYC, and in Vegas too....Looks like it is about a mile of walking, once you get out of the station. If I was doing it I would walk up 9th ave and check out all of the little restaurants that line 9th. Taxi lines can be long depending on the weather and the time of day you are arriving. Oh, if you want to go camera shopping B&H photo's super store is at 34th and 9th, right on your route :). NYC blocks north and south are reasonable but the east/west blocks can be pretty long.