? on guaranteed cabin vs. upgrade

imatarb

Okay, here's the deal:

Hubby and I will be sailing on the Victory on 5/9. We booked a guarantee inside cabin. We're hoping for an upgrade, but we know it doesn't always happen.

I called Carnival last night, and they told me that a guaranteed balcony is $821/person. We paid $549/person for our gty. inside stateroom.

Do you think we should take our chances with getting any sort of upgrade, or should I call and book the guarantee balcony? This is a special cruise for my husband, as it's his FIRST VACATION ever (he always uses vacation time to visit friends and family, and I don't count that!) Is it worth a phone call to Carnival to see if they can note my record to say that this is a special occasion, and an upgrade would be greatly appreciated?

We picked up our docs yesterday from our TA, and everything seems in order! We did our Fun Pass registration already, too!

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa and Mark icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We booked an assigned cabin and my ta called the line and asked if there were any upgrades, we had an inside cabin and now have been upgraded to a balcony and got money back. Have your ta check often for upgrades ,closer to your cruise date, say 2 weeks before. I'm not sure if chances are better with a guarantee or an assigned cabin, Good luck!

Its rare that people get upgraded from the inside to a balcony -although it does happen. If you have your heart set on a balcony then upgrade. If you canbe happy with what you have then stay and see what happens.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

I just checked cruises.com, and they can book gty. balcony for $729/person. That's $50 less per person than Carnival quoted my TA. Can I call my TA and request that she try to meet that price?

Thanks,

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I just wonder if there's any remote possibility of receiving an upgrade to a balcony, since the date is so wide open (according to Carnival when my TA called to get prices for a balcony).

What would you do?

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

Imatarb, I would have your ta call carnival to see if they will give you a credit for that price, I'm not sure if they have to refund you from an internet price or only if the cruise line prices have changed. Also ask if there are any upgrades to a balcony, if you have booked in advance and its close to your sailing date you have a better chance of an upgrade! Good luck, let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

The balcony guarantee is a great deal. I prefer that to a room assignment if there are nicer staterooms than the minimum balcony cabin. (As on HAM & RCCL).

If your husband has never cruised before, you can get him addicted to crusing if you spoil him with the balcony.

Kat

• 1 month later...

My husband and I booked an assigned balcony cabin (9290)on the Victory. After reading all the posts about upgrades and ship credits, I emailed our TA, also a fellow traveler as this is a class reunion cruise, to ask about the possibility of receiving any kind of credit.

She replied that Carvnival had already upgraded us to a cat 11 on the Empress deck. She was going to wait until the documents were sent in order to surprise us. Needless to day, I am still doing a happy dance!!! Never thought it could happen to us.

• 4 weeks later...

WOWSERS!! I sincerly hope that Carnival does not upgrade me. I have a picked cabin on our Victory cruise next February and do not want to be upgrade--even to a suite.

Did they not call you and ask if you wanted to be upgraded??

Are you the group leader for this cruise?

To upgrade from a balcony to a suite on the Victory is very rare because there is not a lot of those and there is a lot of time for selling very valuble cabins space still. All I can say is WOW.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Archived