Canuker

Is there a handy app to predict sunrise & sunset while out at sea?

It must be quite a complicated process, as there are several variables.

I realize it will depend on if/when the ship changes its own clocks;

but, let's say relative to GMT or some other fixed time base.

I believe Apple probably has one, but it is probably based on cities.

Way too many years ago, while learning Principle of Navigation we were taught how to calculate sunrise/sunset using a formula and also had to draw diagrams showing why the formula worked (This wasn't too easy). However, in Practical Navigation, we learned how to get the same result using the Nautical Almanac, which is available online. You will require an approximate position - both Latitude & Longitude. It normally requires some interpolation. You will then need to adjust for the ship's clox.

In my deep sea days we did it manually with the Almanac (it wasn't too complicated), but no doubt now modern navigators have a computer program or the integrated nav system provides the times.

Edited by Heidi13
Spelling

There are quite a few of them. But they won't be simple. Or free. They will include things like moon rise and set, as well as sunrise and set. Stellarium and PhotoPills are two that I use off the ship.

If you have data on your phone, you can use many of the weather apps. My stock iPhone weather app tells me the time of sunset and sunrise.

I am sure that an app exists based on your location, but on every ship I have been on that information is included in the daily report.

I use an Android app called GPS Test. You don't need a data connection, just a device with a GPS. It shows position lat/lon, time (both Zulu and local), sunrise and sunset, a compass to show heading, etc., and speed. It is NOT a mapping app but, it does show a world view so you can see where you are relative to night and day. There is a free and paid version; I use the paid version.

I can second the recommendation of GPS Test. Also, if you want something strictly for sun and moon info, strongly recommend LunaSolCal Mobile (Android). Very comprehensive coverage, no connection required once the app is set up. Check it out on the Play Store.

I use 3 apps: SunriseSunset and Sundial on my iPhone (because both display data differently and either can show sunrise/sunset as a data field on my Apple Watch) or the built-in sunrise/sunset calculator on my Garmin watch.

I use the "World Clock" app from the website timeanddate.com. I don't recall exactly how well it did at sea with no internet, but I found it a useful tool for dealing with planning time zone changes at various ports. The app does display a decent amount of sun and moon info, but it probably requires internet. The app only shows info for the current day (but you can generally get that in your cruise line daily program or on the ship TV). The timeanddate web site lets you look up info for any date. The site is useful when trying to plan excursions or evening activities pre-cruise.

On RC sunrise/sunset is posted on page 1 of the daily conpass distributed the night b4

I don't think there are applications for that. But I think Samsung has that feature which can predict the sunset and sunrise but would just base on what particular city you're in (basically using gps).

Every cruise I have been on, the sunrise and sunset times are posted in the daily flyer. If you are trying to determine those times for picture taking, go up on deck 20 to 30 minutes ahead with your camera and wait. Because if you wait for the exact time, you will miss some great shots and if you have to run back to your cabin to get your camera, you miss it all together. I don't know how many times I have waited for the right picture.

The app would need to use GPS as the time of sunrise and sunset varies with latitude and longitude.

It should be on your daily ship report. We always look there.

But as far as apps go - the weather channel always has it posted for each day and, assuming you have your phone on, and have service (or are connected to the ships wifi) you can set it to update with your location so it will show you the time for where you are at the moment. 

Depending on what device you are using. I use my Wife's IPad, it will determine where I'm at. Also this app works well manually and will do a great job even if not online. It's old (10 years) and cheap. It is absolutely gorgeous to leave running on the bookshelf. It has a wealth of info on the screen, including sunrise, sunset, times of astronomical, nautical & civil twilight, as well as the time of the Golden Hour. Also rise and set times of the moon & planets. My screenshot doesn't do justice to the real display. If you are online while on the ship the app will constantly update. I use leave it running on my desk to always have the info available things astronomical.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/emerald-observatory-for-ipad/id364904759

observatory screenshot web.jpg