What to do in Stanley, Falkland Islands??

Kiwi_cruiser

On 6/23/2018 at 10:38 PM, MVPinBoynton said:

Its all about the King Penguins. Book a private excursion to see them at Volunteer Point. It is an awesome experience. You can see lots of photos of our Falkland Islands tour in our review on our website that is linked to in my signature.

Ant_Mike-1339.jpg

Do they attack people who walk around like that? Isnt it dangerous? And yes, its like the most intersting attraction place there, to go see penguins. I only saw this picture on Discovery Channel and Animal Planet and I never thought that there are many excursions like that.. especially on Fakland-islands. I always thought that the only way to get there would be on a fishing boat or something. Sure you had good time there

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Do they attack people who walk around like that? Isnt it dangerous? And yes, its like the most intersting attraction place there, to go see penguins. I only saw this picture on Discovery Channel and Animal Planet and I never thought that there are many excursions like that.. especially on Fakland-islands. I always thought that the only way to get there would be on a fishing boat or something. Sure you had good time there

The penguins don't pay much attention to humans.  Most of them stay together with the group.  It was a truly amazing experience to see these gorgeous creatures.  I think it was probably my late wife's favorite thing she ever did of the many places we visited all over the world.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 3:54 AM, jantoby said:

Chances are that if the weather's not safe for flying, it won't be safe for tenders to operate either.

Good point. I was just hoping that if they could fly, the company might offer a plan B and go by land. What you suggest makes more sense, thanks!

On 4/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, HALrunner said:

Good point. I was just hoping that if they could fly, the company might offer a plan B and go by land. What you suggest makes more sense, thanks!

I disagree.  These are not canceled based on the same points.   Each can operate independently-  with its own limitations.   

As I already mentioned-   These flights  tours are usually scheduled after the vehicle access tours.   So timing simply is a big limitation.   The land trips require people to be on first tenders.     

Why not not ask the vendor?    If flights are canceled early you’d need the ability for contact and getting on first tenders.   

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, Sea42 said:

From what I could find online the helicopter was about $80 pp more than than land option. Definitely worth it to me!

Have no clue where you are looking but,  incorrect.    Falkland Islands Helicopter service is 349 pounds   ($450 US)  pp.    

So a LOT more by air,  compared to by "road".    More than double.    Look further for accurate information.   

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Have no clue where you are looking but,  incorrect.    Falkland Islands Helicopter service is 349 pounds   ($450 US)  pp.    

So a LOT more by air,  compared to by "road".    More than double.    Look further for accurate information.   

You are absolutely right! It should have read $180 pp!

That is worth the cost to us. My husband has back problems and there is no way the "road" trip would be possible for him.

I am seeing $273 pp for the road trip. Two different vendors. Maybe they are a 3rd party booking agency?

Edited by Sea42

18 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

That is worth the cost to us. My husband has back problems and there is no way the "road" trip would be possible for him.

I am seeing $273 pp for the road trip. Two different vendors. Maybe they are a 3rd party booking agency?

You're still off.     I never use any third party vendors.    It's grossly superior to book direct,  and be done with it.  NO middle men.     And  this past season-  rates were $200  US  per person.        Your searches aren't the best. and I would think,  need some significant changes for accuracy and completeness?    🙂  

However with back problems,   this trip may be out anyway?    Volunteer Point requires,  long distances of uneven multi surface walking,   scrub,  dirt,  sand.    There aren't any paths or trails.    It's also up and down hills.     If there are additional ambulation issues-  meaning ,  not having full range,    then,  you are going to miss out on the significant highlights of this.    The King rookery is no where near the parking lot.    ( and it hasn't moved in the 10 years I've been going there-  every year)    I would think it's also essential to get down to the sea,  a distance in another direction.      Helicopter tours will be using the SAME parking lot to stage to/from.    

19 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

My friend and I had a wonderful time at Volunteer Point by helicopter.  He's in his 80s and walks with a stick, and had absolutely no problems at all.    I'm sure you'll love it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Did you check Patrick Watts ($195 in Dec 2016) and Estancia (about the same IIRC)?  Obviously prices change over time but that would be an awfully big increase.

Patrick Watts:  pwatts@horizon.co.fk

Estancia:  http://estancia-excursions.com/

19 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You're still off.     I never use any third party vendors.    It's grossly superior to book direct,  and be done with it.  NO middle men.     And  this past season-  rates were $200  US  per person.        Your searches aren't the best. and I would think,  need some significant changes for accuracy and completeness?    🙂  

However with back problems,   this trip may be out anyway?    Volunteer Point requires,  long distances of uneven multi surface walking,   scrub,  dirt,  sand.    There aren't any paths or trails.    It's also up and down hills.     If there are additional ambulation issues-  meaning ,  not having full range,    then,  you are going to miss out on the significant highlights of this.    The King rookery is no where near the parking lot.    ( and it hasn't moved in the 10 years I've been going there-  every year)    I would think it's also essential to get down to the sea,  a distance in another direction.      Helicopter tours will be using the SAME parking lot to stage to/from.    

Granted I didn't do an extensive search because I knew it wasn't an option for us but this is what I found:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g294271-d11463122-Volunteer_Point_in_Falkland_Islands-East_Falkland.html

https://www.viator.com/tours/Falkland-Islands/Volunteer-Point-in-Falkland-Islands/d25958-5640P50

1 minute ago, Sea42 said:

VIATOR-    says it all.   Sorry,  nope.  😉    

17 minutes ago, jantoby said:

My friend and I had a wonderful time at Volunteer Point by helicopter.  He's in his 80s and walks with a stick, and had absolutely no problems at all.    I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks, my husband has no walking issues. His back actually feels better walking than sitting! I think it is a great alternative and it will also give us time before most of the other tours arrive as we will be on the first flight in the morning.

We're just keeping our fingers crossed that the world health situation improves!

3 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

VIATOR-    says it all.   Sorry,  nope.  😉    

Yes, we never book with a third party vendor but as I said I didn't bother looking into too much because it wasn't an option for us.

We all have different priorities. For us the comfort and enjoyment of the tour is as important as the money.

4 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Thanks, my husband has no walking issues. His back actually feels better walking than sitting! I think it is a great alternative and it will also give us time before most of the other tours arrive as we will be on the first flight in the morning.

We're just keeping our fingers crossed that the world health situation improves!

Sounds like a great option then,  in your case.  BUT,   I strongly suggest,   book your tour DIRECT with the vendor.     https://falklandshelicopterservices.com/

• 6 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 10:35 AM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

We have never been to the Falkland Islands before.

I was wondering would you recommend doing here for the day??

If you have been to Stanley, Falkland before, what did you do there for the day??

We are going to be in Stanley in February, What's the temperature going to be like there then?? cool? / cold?

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

We were there in Feb. of last year and we chose Patrick Watts for our all day tour to Volunteer Point to see penguins.  Patrick met us at the wharf and handed us and another couple over to a driver who then took us on the two hour ride to get to Volunteer Point.  We had read that the drive was very bumpy and I must say that that was the case for the last hour of the trip.  The first hour is on paved roads and then there is a pit stop to use the washroom and get a snack from the cute little snack box that is pay on the honor system.  Then you continue on for another hour over rough terrain (not roads).  We were three people squished into the back of a jeep and one in the front with the driver.  The three of us in the back were really rocking and knocking and I, for one, was glad when that part of the drive was over.  We were able to spend two hours walking amongst the gentoo and king penguins, following them as they waddled towards the beach or just standing in groups on the grass.  The beach was beautiful, with white powdery sand and aqua water.  There were naturalists available to answer questions and make sure that no one got too close to the penguins.  We were provided with a sack lunch which was delicious and then we had to start making our way back on the two hour ride to the ship.  The weather that particular day was windy, grey and cool and I was glad to have a hat and gloves with me.  I wore a windbreaker over my sweatshirt.  We also had a bit of rain but nothing heavy.  You can reach Patrick at pwatts@horizon.co.uk.

Barb

Also note that Estancia provides a similar experience. We went with estancia, had a great day (including a box lunch prepared by the owner’s mother. And the owner’s father was one of the drivers. We liked the family operation vs commercial tour agency.) But that  was in 2015, I have no idea what the current conditions are like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 7:25 AM, jantoby said:

I'm just home from a week on the Falklands.  I can't recommend the Historic Museum highly enough.  I only had an hour there and it was nowhere near enough to see all the exhibits.

The absolute highlight of my week was a helicopter tour from Stanley to Volunteer Point to see a huge colony of King Penguins.  Only about 10 minutes to get there as opposed to the 3 hours it takes off-road, and it's a fabulous experience.   falklandshelicopterservices.com        Fantastic couple of hours there, which flew by.20200131_180737.thumb.jpg.bf58dc135a3e7b73b7f59246e3a3a775.jpg

20200131_182651.jpg

20200131_194649.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Falkland Helicopter Services.  We have just booked with them for February 2022 to visit Volunteer Point and then a visit to a Rockhopper colony at a different location (combined tour).   My husband is a private pilot - so this is right up our alley and a great adventure after being on pandemic lockdown for what seems like forever!!!

6 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Falkland Helicopter Services.  We have just booked with them for February 2022 to visit Volunteer Point and then a visit to a Rockhopper colony at a different location (combined tour).   My husband is a private pilot - so this is right up our alley and a great adventure after being on pandemic lockdown for what seems like forever!!!

I'm sure you'll love it. 

• Thanks 1