Availability of mixed drinks?

Hello.

I did ask about this on the big thread that lists drinks on NCL, but no one had any information.

Before our first cruise last September, we used that enormous spreadsheet to select a long list of drinks we wanted to try on the ship. When we asked for them, however, we kept being told they weren't available. We asked at several different bars on board with very little positive response.

Has no one had a similar experience? Why the enormous list when they were mostly unavailable? I'd like to understand this before our next cruise. It was something we were really looking forward to, but after being turned down repeatedly for days, we gave up.

Thanks.

There could be a ton of reasons. The drink might be something that involves an ingredient that used to be available but no longer is. It might include an ingredient that is still available, but not at that particular bar. It might be something that is called a different name, since many drinks have multiple names depending on where you're from. It might be something that one particular bartender knew how to make, but not everyone does. So who knows.

It's hard to say without knowing what you were asking for. Not all the bars on the ship are stocked the same, so if you're asking for drinks that require certain ingredients every bar won't have it. Also, if they're less known drinks the bartenders might not know them. And, my experience in bars on land, sometimes bartenders say that when you order a complicated drink but the bar is 5 deep so taking a lot of time to make one drink will piss off a lot of people.

I'm also assuming you didn't show up with the spreadsheet in hand and order from it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Some bars aren't stocked with all of the ingredients for a lot of the specialty drinks. For instance, I love the Mr. Worldwide that NCL has had on my first two cruises, but there are only certain bars that can/will make it because it has some very specific ingredients.

Also take into account the age of the list your working from. Some drinks may have been tried but just didn't work out, and were removed from the menu. I know I've been disappointed more than once ordering something that sounds good, but when I tasted it, it wasn't good.

Hello.

I did ask about this on the big thread that lists drinks on NCL, but no one had any information.

Before our first cruise last September, we used that enormous spreadsheet to select a long list of drinks we wanted to try on the ship. When we asked for them, however, we kept being told they weren't available. We asked at several different bars on board with very little positive response.

Has no one had a similar experience? Why the enormous list when they were mostly unavailable? I'd like to understand this before our next cruise. It was something we were really looking forward to, but after being turned down repeatedly for days, we gave up.

Thanks.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that there are drinks on that spreadsheet that were the "drink of the day" long ago. To keep customers excited about having them I would think Norwegian routinely introduces new ones and retires old (or gives the same drink a new name LOL).

For myself, unless it's on a bar menu, I stick to what I think are universally known drinks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

I guess we'll give up on that list permanently, then. Too bad. It looked like fun.

And no, we didn't walk around with a spreadsheet. Just our list of about thirty choices from the big list that we thought sounded good.

One thing on that list that sounded yummy was a Mudslide. I think it is well-known so that's what I have on my "try it" list. We've never been willing to pay outright for a beverage package and I'm a total lightweight, so traveling with the package included in the deal this time is going to be interesting.

One thing on that list that sounded yummy was a Mudslide. I think it is well-known so that's what I have on my "try it" list. We've never been willing to pay outright for a beverage package and I'm a total lightweight, so traveling with the package included in the deal this time is going to be interesting.

There were a ton of people on the pool deck drinking mudslides on my cruise on the Dawn last month. You should have no trouble getting that.

Like drinking a chocolate shake with a kick. Very habit forming. I have never had any trouble getting one or two or three or more :) !

Like drinking a chocolate shake with a kick. Very habit forming. I have never had any trouble getting one or two or three or more :) !
And hopefully the caffeine from the Kahlua can counteract my alcohol "sleepies" that annoys my DH no end! [emoji41] [emoji484] [emoji41]

Edited by mbuenzli
Typo

While on the Sun (open bar) the bartenders often tried not to deviate from the drinks that are on the standard menu at every bar on the ship. Very limited selection. There was one drink I ordered (forget what it was) and I was told "I can't make that." It was a fairly common drink. Oddly enough, when I pushed my dollar bill towards the bartender, suddenly he was able to make the drink. Funny how that works, eh? ;)

I have found that the bartenders on NCL are hesitant to go "Off menu" Even if they do have the ingredients, I have had them outright refuse to modify existing drinks with different liquor...

While on the Sun (open bar) the bartenders often tried not to deviate from the drinks that are on the standard menu at every bar on the ship. Very limited selection. There was one drink I ordered (forget what it was) and I was told "I can't make that." It was a fairly common drink. Oddly enough, when I pushed my dollar bill towards the bartender, suddenly he was able to make the drink. Funny how that works, eh? ;)

I have found that the bartenders on NCL are hesitant to go "Off menu" Even if they do have the ingredients, I have had them outright refuse to modify existing drinks with different liquor...

Wow, that's B.S. Is this the case on every NCL ship? I've never experienced this on other cruise lines.

Which list are your referring to? If you're referring to my list (The NCL FAV UBP Drink List) I'd like to get more information.

I've carried my spreadsheet and presented that the bartenders if they weren't familiar with the particular drink I was requesting and never had any problems other than the fact that I occasionally was denied due to the fact that they didn't have "all" the ingredients to make the cocktail. I've also routinely been commended on my efforts to "do my homework" on the drink list. My list doesn't show fancy pictures because in my opinion it's not needed and the bartenders could care less what the drink looks like to be honest. All they want are the ingredients and the quantities to make the drink/cocktail.

Also, have you slipped the occasional dollar bill on the bar top before ordering said cocktail? As stated earlier, that makes a huge difference in getting superior customer service, although I don't think that it's ultimately necessary; that's just my personal preference to occasionally tip.

Not all bars stock the same spirits and some bars like the "pool bar" are limited in respect to what they carry versus other fully stocked bars like the "Atrium" and internal deck/restaurant bars.

Can you share if you had any favorite drinks that you were repeatedly denied? When denied, they didn't give you a reason? Very odd to just routinely deny your requests without providing a valid reason. I've never experienced that on any of my NCL cruises at ANY of the bars and my last 4 cruises were onboard Epic, Breakaway and Escape (twice).

Which list are your referring to? If you're referring to my list (The NCL FAV UBP Drink List) I'd like to get more information.

I've carried my spreadsheet and presented that the bartenders if they weren't familiar with the particular drink I was requesting and never had any problems other than the fact that I occasionally was denied due to the fact that they didn't have "all" the ingredients to make the cocktail. I've also routinely been commended on my efforts to "do my homework" on the drink list. My list doesn't show fancy pictures because in my opinion it's not needed and the bartenders could care less what the drink looks like to be honest. All they want are the ingredients and the quantities to make the drink/cocktail.

Also, have you slipped the occasional dollar bill on the bar top before ordering said cocktail? As stated earlier, that makes a huge difference in getting superior customer service, although I don't think that it's ultimately necessary; that's just my personal preference to occasionally tip.

Not all bars stock the same spirits and some bars like the "pool bar" are limited in respect to what they carry versus other fully stocked bars like the "Atrium" and internal deck/restaurant bars.

Can you share if you had any favorite drinks that you were repeatedly denied? When denied, they didn't give you a reason? Very odd to just routinely deny your requests without providing a valid reason. I've never experienced that on any of my NCL cruises at ANY of the bars and my last 4 cruises were onboard Epic, Breakaway and Escape (twice).

You tote around a SPREADSHEET while on vacation? You're kidding, right?

What I have found is that if you have a favorite or two (or more if you drink like me) that once they get to know you they are more open to doing something different for you if you ask nicely. There are also those who do like doing something different or off menu as long as it's not a busy time. It probably also helps that I like to tip at least a buck each drink since I appreciate bartenders.

While I didn't drink much at Maltings on the Bliss transatlantic Razvan was happy to make me an off menu drink and even made me one of his own creations (which was really good) when I was there the last day and the bar was basically dead.

Bong was happy to make me a couple of drinks from the old Sugarcane menu as well. Glen at the pool bar made me one of his favorites that wasn't on the menu, too. But these were all bartenders I had stopped by at least a few times over the cruise and had a few drinks at the bar from. I would never go in cold to a bar and ask for something off menu unless it was something ubiquitous like a screwdriver or tequila sunrise.

Just for example: Tobacco Road bar on Escape. Grass clippings. They have a pre made jug of unknown origin and ingredients. I inquired about having one mixed fresh, and was repeatedly told they couldn't do it. Keep in mind that I am a customer who always tips in cash. Still refused to make a fresh Grass clippings... Example two: mojito bar. Ordered the jalapeno cucumber mojito, but requested tequila instead of rum. Again, no dice. He said they were not allowed to deviate from the original formula. Again, this was a bartender who knew that I tipped in cash. I enquired with the beverage manager, who gave me his card and said to show it to the bartender, and tell him to make the drink as requested. After that it was no problem, but it was still a lot of work to go through to get a drink the way I like it...

Sent from my MZ505 using Forums mobile app

You tote around a SPREADSHEET while on vacation? You're kidding, right?

Nope, why would I?

Is it that hard to print a copy of your favorite UBP drinks and keep it in your back pocket so it's ready to go?

FYI you can shrink the size of the spreadsheet and laminate it if you please. That way the list is tiny and it's waterproof just in case you forget it's in your swim suit and you take a dip in the pool ;);):')

NCL UBP FAV DRINKS 2017 edition.xls

I know that I LOVED the signature cocktail from Cagney's called the Speakeasy. On the last NCL cruise I was told they no longer make it. I believe it's because they don't carry apricot brandy. I was bummed! I saw the spreadsheet and have been making notes of drinks to get after looking at it. It was started in 2015 so I know some may no longer be available but this is the first time I have had the drink package.

Also keep in mind the list is a conglomeration of drinks from many NCL ships, over time, plus quite a few common drinks easily made from any well stocked bar by An experienced bartender. I had a hand in updating it last year, and carry the list also, and I always tip, and I find favorite bartenders who will go out of their way For me. Last trip a bartender invented a drink for me and made it whenever he saw me walking toward the bar. Say hi to Craig if he’s still on the Breakaway!

The premade cocktail jug is an abomination in my opinion and probably my biggest pet peeve with NCL. I would never ask a slammed poolside bartender to make me a complicated drink, but if I’m sitting at a civilized bar and am willing to wait for a freshly made cocktail (and tip of course) why should this be difficult?

The premade cocktail jug is an abomination in my opinion and probably my biggest pet peeve with NCL. I would never ask a slammed poolside bartender to make me a complicated drink, but if I’m sitting at a civilized bar and am willing to wait for a freshly made cocktail (and tip of course) why should this be difficult?

I would never drink a pre-mixed cocktail. Nor should you. If a bar has pre-made drinks either a) the bartenders are incompetent or b) they are too cheap to properly staff. I'd say on NCL it's a combo of both.