Is it normal for Viking Ocean to require full payment 14 months before a cruise?

GrandmaHofmann

I am booked on a Med cruise leaving July 30, 2019.

Final payment was due today.

Yes, in forty plus years of cruising, this is the earliest that final payment has been due. However, it is Viking's rules and their ships. If I want to cruise Viking, I pay when they tell me to.

This issue has been discussed in numerous threads. The final payment can be negotiated if you have a decent TA. I shopped agents until I found one that got my final payment date pushed back from 18 months (!) to 7 months. They need a good relationship with Viking.

This issue has been discussed in numerous threads. The final payment can be negotiated if you have a decent TA. I shopped agents until I found one that got my final payment date pushed back from 18 months (!) to 7 months. They need a good relationship with Viking.

Agree. Don’t be intimidated by the request for payment at such an early point in time. Most TAs take great exception to this practice on your behalf and negotiate a later payment 6-7 months out from sailing. Why part with your money before you need to?

Agree. Don’t be intimidated by the request for payment at such an early point in time. Most TAs take great exception to this practice on your behalf and negotiate a later payment 6-7 months out from sailing. Why part with your money before you need to?

But note that:

1-- it must be done at booking; once you have paid your deposit, you have locked into a contract that is no longer negotiable

2 -- 6 months out is the best you will be able to do

Viking has always expected payment in full pretty much at the time of booking and it is only recently that they have allowed any flexibilty in that policy. Our first river cruises were all paid with in a month of booking. We booked our first ocean cruise two years in advance, on a cruise line that had yet to sail its first ocean cruise and on ship that had not yet been built, and had 6 months to pay in full. Now that we know it is possible to negotiate the final payment date, we take advantage of it.

The issue of Viking wanting early payment has been discussed ad nauseam in both the oceans and river cruise boards because it is understandably not a very popular policy with anyone. However, it is, as previously stated, the way they do business and that's that. The good thing is that there are ways around it but you have to know to ask in advance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

But note that:

1-- it must be done at booking; once you have paid your deposit, you have locked into a contract that is no longer negotiable

2 -- 6 months out is the best you will be able to do

Viking has always expected payment in full pretty much at the time of booking and it is only recently that they have allowed any flexibilty in that policy. Our first river cruises were all paid with in a month of booking. We booked our first ocean cruise two years in advance, on a cruise line that had yet to sail its first ocean cruise and on ship that had not yet been built, and had 6 months to pay in full. Now that we know it is possible to negotiate the final payment date, we take advantage of it.

Not true on your #1 point as per my experience several months ago. I made my booking directly with Viking and placed the deposit with them as there was only one suite left in the category I wanted. The invoice was sent to me indicating that the payment was due (13 months from sailing date. Shortly after, I turned the booking over to my TA who negotiated a 6 month out payment.

Not only do they want final payment unreasonably early but they are VERY slow in refunds. Recently I had two different experiences with Viking along these lines

1 My TA charged my final payment to the wrong CC despite being instructed in detail which card to use. He blamed the mistake on the acccounting department. The correct CC was then charged immediately and a return requested on the original CC. It took a month and a half for the credit to appear on my CC despite many calls to TA (who reported the mistake to CC promptly) and Viking. Note - the amount was just over $10K! I blame Viking and not my TA or CC because CC had no record of Viking requesting the credit.

2 I cancelled a booked excursion online on my river cruise on 5/12. The refund was not on my CC as of 6/20 and I called Viking. They “apologized” and said it would be processed promptly. Really? Did I have to call to have it credited; when would they do it on their own if I hadn’t called?

These shameless practices alone want me not to book with them in the future - too many other options out there.

Edited by Paulchili

No, Parsley, not one hundred days, seventy. Viking's Booking Conditions clause A2.2 states that 25% of the cost must be paid at the time of booking, and "the balance of the total price of your travel arrangements must be paid at least 10 weeks prior to travel commencing". This has always been the case for all of out Viking cruises, river and ocean, purchased through the London office, either directly or through our TA. I don't think that Viking would get much business in the UK with American terms and conditions, and all cruise lines on whom I have sailed seem to stick with the 10/12 weeks balance period, even the American biggies.

Look, it's only money! Ok, be nit picky- it's 70 days. I always get the invoice for whichever cruiseline, (now heading for cruise #31ish, I've lost count), and put the invoice due date into my schedule, and it gets paid before the date I've put in to the schedule. It's no biggy; if someone is going to be all stressed about making a final payment, maybe they should consider if spending on a holiday is the right thing for them?

However, some cruise lines even if booked etc in the UK do ask for payment about 100 days prior. I will say though, that I simply don't have time to mess around with clauses and sub-clauses. I book, I pay - simples; I do get a bit picky about accommodation, and also have my preferred airlines and aircraft seats - but payment just happens.

Edited by Parsley Cruises
correction

Not true on your #1 point as per my experience several months ago. I made my booking directly with Viking and placed the deposit with them as there was only one suite left in the category I wanted. The invoice was sent to me indicating that the payment was due (13 months from sailing date. Shortly after, I turned the booking over to my TA who negotiated a 6 month out payment.

This is very good to hear. Anecdotal evidence here has told a different story, a story of no changes being permitted after the booking was made. This is the first time I have read here of Viking permitting a change of final payment date. I hope we will be hearing more such reports.

This is very good to hear. Anecdotal evidence here has told a different story, a story of no changes being permitted after the booking was made. This is the first time I have read here of Viking permitting a change of final payment date. I hope we will be hearing more such reports.

I think it depends on the TA and how much business the agency does with Viking. In my case, the TA and his agency is a top booker for Viking. (I didn't know that fact at the time I turned over the booking to my TA because I am fairly new to Viking. He was quite upset that they asked for payment so far out from the sailing and called it "ridiculous." It was quickly changed to 6 months when he assumed the booking.) Lesson learned in dealing with Viking: Don't be so willing to part with your money. A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold (and dollars).

On June 2 booked 10/18/18 Viking Star sailing over phone with Viking rep. Expected to be asked for final payment immediately but he only wanted $1,000 deposit with balance not due until 7/20. Best, most courteous and knowledgeable phone rep I've ever dealt with.

Look, it's only money! Ok, be nit picky- it's 70 days. I always get the invoice for whichever cruiseline, (now heading for cruise #31ish, I've lost count), and put the invoice due date into my schedule, and it gets paid before the date I've put in to the schedule. It's no biggy; if someone is going to be all stressed about making a final payment, maybe they should consider if spending on a holiday is the right thing for them?

However, some cruise lines even if booked etc in the UK do ask for payment about 100 days prior. I will say though, that I simply don't have time to mess around with clauses and sub-clauses. I book, I pay - simples; I do get a bit picky about accommodation, and also have my preferred airlines and aircraft seats - but payment just happens.

I think that you are missing the point here.

Final payment whether it is 100 or 70 days before the cruise is the same thing and nobody has a problem with that. But paying for the cruise in full 365 (or more!) days before is a totally different story. Would you also be as cavalier about paying for your cruise a year ahead as much as you are about paying for it a 100 or 70 days ahead?

Not only do they want final payment unreasonably early but they are VERY slow in refunds. Recently I had two different experiences with Viking along these lines

These shameless practices alone want me not to book with them in the future - too many other options out there.

This business model is what keeps me from booking Viking Oceans, for sure.

How about their cancellation penalties that far out? What do they charge?

In the UK, booking direct with Viking gives a final date of 100 days or so (approx) before embarkation.

Lucky you, sounds very sensible and civilized!

Final payment whether it is 100 or 70 days before the cruise is the same thing and nobody has a problem with that. But paying for the cruise in full 365 (or more!) days before is a totally different story. Would you also be as cavalier about paying for your cruise a year ahead as much as you are about paying for it a 100 or 70 days ahead?

If it’s something I want and my diary permits, book it😊😎

While Viking may request final payment a year before departure, as others from N/America have mentioned, it is open to negotiation. We got 6 months, which is still more than other cruise lines, but frankly, for us final payment date is a very minor consideration when selecting a cruise. To put it into perspective, at today's rates for short term money and after the government takes their share, we are out $300 on a 6-figure World Cruise.

If you didn't negotiate a final payment date, most unfortunate and hopefully you will next time.

While Viking may request final payment a year before departure, as others from N/America have mentioned, it is open to negotiation. We got 6 months, which is still more than other cruise lines, but frankly, for us final payment date is a very minor consideration when selecting a cruise. To put it into perspective, at today's rates for short term money and after the government takes their share, we are out $300 on a 6-figure World Cruise.

If you didn't negotiate a final payment date, most unfortunate and hopefully you will next time.

I actually did negotiate the final payment but that is hardly the point. Only a tiny fraction of Viking cruisers are here on CC and thus are probably not aware of this option.

Viking thus gets away with this “unique” practice probably 90% of the time. You and I may not be able to do much with that money in a year but Viking certainly can with that massive amount they collect from all their customers 14 months before they actually deliver the service that people paid for.

Come into the real world - it's a business, not a charity. If you don't like the terms and conditions then leave it well alone and use your funds elsewhere. Surely you know what the terms and conditions are before you spend?

On the other hand, if you spend out on (for example) a cruise and don't like the service (or attitude) etc., complain if you must, but vote with your feet and try a different cruise line.

A cruise is not tangible - it's the impression which a customer personally forms based on the cruise line's marketing which leads a person to become a customer and then a passenger. If you got worthwhile and honest opinions from every passenger on a specific cruise, there would be incredible variations in how people felt after the cruise was over. It would be extremely difficult to judge though - and would depend on how the questions were couched. Sort of GIGO (allowing for the alcohol intake also).

I actually did negotiate the final payment but that is hardly the point. Only a tiny fraction of Viking cruisers are here on CC and thus are probably not aware of this option.

Viking thus gets away with this “unique” practice probably 90% of the time. You and I may not be able to do much with that money in a year but Viking certainly can with that massive amount they collect from all their customers 14 months before they actually deliver the service that people paid for.

It seems that you, and many others, view this as a negative thing. My perspective is that I am losing little in the way of interest on that money, and Viking has indeed been able to utilize the funds to expand their river line and rapidly build this fleet of ocean vessels that I enjoy so much.

Since inevitable issues of aging make it unlikely that I can wait 20 years for a more modest rate of expansion, then I have no objection to paying in full early. I look forward to the the new itineraries that will be available as the fleet expands, and hope to find several new areas to explore.

It seems that you, and many others, view this as a negative thing. My perspective is that I am losing little in the way of interest on that money, and Viking has indeed been able to utilize the funds to expand their river line and rapidly build this fleet of ocean vessels that I enjoy so much. Since inevitable issues of aging make it unlikely that I can wait 20 years for a more modest rate of expansion, then I have no objection to paying in full early!

In addition to this statement, I also feel by locking the passengers and moneys down early, Viking has a better ides of what per diem to set for passengers on board and can plan the quality of food and other expenditures to offer to the passenger.

If a cruise line knows that their passengers will churn their reservations as to fares and other passenger nickel and diming of the cruise line (yes, many complaints about cruise lines nickel and diming passengers but no one thinks that passengers do the same to cruise lines), the cruise line will plan to spend a much lower per diem for each passenger when it comes to food, entertainment or other things that enhance the on board experience). Think Carnival cruise versus offerings on board versus a cruise line that has a different targeted market demographic.

If one finds the Viking payment schedule not to their liking or does not like what Viking offers as included in the cruise fare, then it is up to the potential passenger to find the line that fills the niche for what they are looking for.