Is it normal for Viking Ocean to require full payment 14 months before a cruise?

GrandmaHofmann

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Haha, all this talk of “investing” money in stocks for an expense a year out is a sure sign of a market top...

I have to agree.  In one year how much does one expect to make? (Or lose?)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 6:47 PM, Heidi13 said:

While Viking may request final payment a year before departure, as others from N/America have mentioned, it is open to negotiation. We got 6 months, which is still more than other cruise lines, but frankly, for us final payment date is a very minor consideration when selecting a cruise. To put it into perspective, at today's rates for short term money and after the government takes their share, we are out $300 on a 6-figure World Cruise.

If you didn't negotiate a final payment date, most unfortunate and hopefully you will next time.

For North American customers and others not under ABTA out-of-business protections, a 1+ year lead time is nervous-making compared to 70 days.

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

What do you mean by "nervous-making"???

About what you'd think.

A year out, it wasn't as clear that Thomas Cook was going under after 150+ years in operation as it was a mere 70 days before.  But Brits with (ABTA protection) got their money back.  North America customers (without) did not. 

This is what my travel insurance policy says:

image.png.26218e64bc1e7f592e4e65500959eda5.png

There is also a list of excluded companies and carriers; if you book with anyone on the list, Financial Default coverage is not available.

Zitsky, I'm not sure why I need to worry about my TA failing. My cruise fare is paid directly to the cruise line on my credit card or by e-check. Even if my TA goes under, it does not effect my reservation, even if I haven't paid in full. The only thing that I can think of is if my TA has promised me an OBC or some other 'gift' in return for my business.

AND, it does give me second thoughts about buying private tours through an aggregator, where I pay the aggregator and the aggregator pays the tour company; it just further supports my feeling that I want to do business directly with the tour company, not a middle-man.