Extra Tipping

We are on the Allure. Although we have MTD we have been eating dinner at the same table each evening and we are a party of 10. What would be an average additional tip to leave the waiter; assistant? They are both very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the Allure. Although we have MTD we have been eating dinner at the same table each evening and we are a party of 10. What would be an average additional tip to leave the waiter; assistant? They are both very nice.

No need to ask. Tipping is a personal decision. Some people will say no. Some will say yes. But the best one is the people who will brag about the amount......So I will start out, and say you should tip $200.00. Let the tip bidding begin.

I've never seen any figures for average additional tip. Whatever you feel like is appropriate.

No need to ask. Tipping is a personal decision. Some people will say no. Some will say yes. But the best one is the people who will brag about the amount......So I will start out, and say you should tip $200.00. Let the tip bidding begin.

$200 as an additional TIP? Thats seems sorta high to me.

Zero. I'm a pathologically generous tipper everywhere I go. But once the cruise industry decided to automatically include tips, I took the hint. They don't want me to tip any more than they have automatically taken out. No one gets anything.

Sad, they used to get a couple hundred more out of me every cruise. Oh well, at least I have that to use for other things now!

Depends on your own personal scale but for good service we always make sure to keep several $5 bills on us for extra tips....remembering that MDR crew are at the top of the list for the standard Gratuities that we always pay....and if more than one person on our wait staff team give good service we will tip each of them individually, usually $5. But then if you sit at the same table every night will you tip $5 (or more) every night?.....just don't get locked into feeling obligated to tip extra at every meal in MDR or feeling guilty for not tipping on some nights.

$200 as an additional TIP? Thats seems sorta high to me.

Lol....I think 'Havingfun2010' was just having a little fun with that :rolleyes:

Also I think that by normal restaurant standards the MDR portion of standard Gratuities is a little low, and so that's why we usually don't mind tipping a little extra when the service is at least 'good'....but not just because they're 'nice' because they can be nice or entertaining but still not give good service.

:')

I'll see your $200 and raise you $100!

I tip $43.50 per day. The best part is I don't have to remember, or calculate it. It just magically shows up on my bill at the end.

My husband and I usually give an extra $50 to the waiter and $30 to the assistant waiter, so for a table of 10, we would certainly give more than that. Our thought is that if we can afford to take a great cruise vacation, we can afford to give extra to those that make it special.

• Like 1

Zero. I'm a pathologically generous tipper everywhere I go. But once the cruise industry decided to automatically include tips, I took the hint. They don't want me to tip any more than they have automatically taken out. No one gets anything.

Sad, they used to get a couple hundred more out of me every cruise. Oh well, at least I have that to use for other things now!

This is right where I stand. I used to have to think about what to give and to whom, and make sure I gave more to those who did really exceptional. Well, since the cruise line took my discretion out of it, I will not stress about what to give. They apparently know better than I do.

I agree, I prepay the gratuity and that's $18% and that it!. I know why they do it (it's been discussed before). The US is a tipping country and most of the world isn't. They (staff) make the majority of there pay from tips and a lot of cultures don't tip. So they started the 18% added gratuity for everything which I get but with that I don't tip anymore and it's not because I'm some heartless person it's because I'm being forced to tip 18% which is what I would usually tip anyway. You can always tip more and that's totally up to you.

Ditto. This is also my new approach, but I still do tip for room service.

You've already paid your automatic gratuity of $14.50pp per day, so for a 7-night cruise, you had excellent service, and you want to tip additional directly to the waiter and his asst, I would think $5pp to each the waiter & assistant would be sufficient.

$200 to the wait staff (to split) for 10 people would be a very reasonable amount, actually. That's $20 per person for the full 7 nights. At a minimum, I'd hand them $100. But this has to do with your personal feelings about the service. If they were just "ok" and not that great, the standard tip is fine. If you think they really enhanced your experience, then $100 - $200 would be a sufficient and reasonable "thank you."

For those of you saying "I won't tip extra since the cruise lines started adding automatic gratuities," allow me to offer an alternate perspective:

First, from people in the industry, the cruise lines don't give all of those auto-tips to the people serving you on your cruise; they skim some off the top for themselves.

Second, your decision not to tip "because the cruise line thinks it knows better" punishes the workers, not the cruise line. The workers have to do their jobs regardless of whether you auto-tip, tip according to your own concept, or - since the lines allow passengers to remove the auto-gratuities and there are those lowlifes who remove the auto-tips from their bills - don't give ANY tips, so the hardworking service staff are stiffed.

The cabin attendants, waitstaff, and others work their tails off for peanuts, and for those who provide service above and beyond, ANYTHING extra - even if it's a measly dollar a day - will absolutely make the service person's day. I always give some cash, handed DIRECTLY to the service person, on the last day or two of the cruise (and sometimes, if I'm enjoying a particular bar or bartender, I'll give some bucks on the first day or two, because you'll be remembered and get great service!). Always tip a buck or two for room service, too.

You'd tip a buck at Starbucks for someone who's spent under five minutes making you a specialty drink. Why on earth would you think it's okay to go cheap when someone's been working for you long hours for days on end? Just my thoughts; YMMV. :)

You'd tip a buck at Starbucks for someone who's spent under five minutes making you a specialty drink. Why on earth would you think it's okay to go cheap when someone's been working for you long hours for days on end? Just my thoughts; YMMV. :)

Nope, I'm not part of the Starbucks crowd. Perhaps a better question is why do you tip a buck at Starbucks to someone that has only spent a minute or two on your drink.

• Haha 1

Nope, I'm not part of the Starbucks crowd. Perhaps a better question is why do you tip a buck at Starbucks to someone that has only spent a minute or two on your drink.

I always shake my head at people who tip baristas yet don't tip fast food. It's the same thing. Those tip jars are everywhere these days. I've even seen them in a tire center, where they charge you $90/hour for labor :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1