Route of the Vikings Live on Board

galeforce9

The fog horn has been sounding since around 3am and has only recently stopped. We can just about see buildings on the shore.

We passed Ailsa Craig last night after dinner. It’s the conical island from which curling stones are made.

The photo posted by galeforce9 earlier is of the paddle steamer Waverley which is the last seagoing passenger-carrying paddle steamer in the world.

Thanks Herradura6. That’s really helpful for my photo captioning on my return home.

Fabulous food photos today Galeforce! I have heard other rave about how great the TK Grill chicken is---so we tried it. We found it to be so salty that we could barely eat it. I think this is an example of how subjective food reviews can be. Some people have a high tolerance for very salty food, finding low salt item to be bland--while others of us (not used to a lot of salt) find salty items almost unpalatable! However, I will have to admit, the presentation of the chicken is beautiful!

I continue to enjoy your posts on this thread! Did the terrible bus tour improve?

Fabulous food photos today Galeforce! I have heard other rave about how great the TK Grill chicken is---so we tried it. We found it to be so salty that we could barely eat it. I think this is an example of how subjective food reviews can be. Some people have a high tolerance for very salty food, finding low salt item to be bland--while others of us (not used to a lot of salt) find salty items almost unpalatable! However, I will have to admit, the presentation of the chicken is beautiful!

I continue to enjoy your posts on this thread! Did the terrible bus tour improve?

Hi SLSD

We enjoy the chicken but we dont have the jus (on the side) and only a little skin, so maybe that helps.

The bus tour continues on its miserable path. We are now 5 hours in. We’ve had four 5 minute photo stops, a 30 min loo break in the middle of nowhere with no attraction/view and a one hour lunch stop in fort William, which feels like the end of the Earth.

What a pity Galeforce that you have had to spend your day this way. I'm sure the fog is a huge hindrance as maybe it was meant to be a scenic drive where the views are not visible. But it also is a cautionary tale about the possibility of less than enjoyable excursions. Sometimes it is hard to know from the descriptions we are given for these trips--you never quite know what you are getting into!

08114aa6ecd1dbfc782c5082735964a3.jpg

Fabulous Thomas Keller Grill chicken for two.

We are in the middle of booking our first ever Seabourn cruise (quest - Montreal to Miami). This photo might have just sealed it, except my wife is a vegetarian ... hmm I could probably eat the whole bird haha. Is there a limit to how many times you can dine in the specialty restaurant?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, there appears to be a limit--but it is a bit loosey-goosey. We had four meals in the TK Grill on a 21 day cruise. Three were on our own reservations and the fourth we were invited to join friends. Next time, we are going to book our TK Grill reservations for four, even not knowing who might join us. For one of our reservations, I tried to expand it to four with no luck. However, on another night, our friends WERE able to expand a reservation to four, to include us. I guess it depends on the volume for that night.

We’re now going on a gondola but the mist is so low we are guaranteed to see nothing. Why not refund us and get back early, or find an alternative?

Personally I would have checked the BBC weather and probably not have gone ashore at all. Much less frustrating than driving through incredible scenery and not see it. Reminds me of a long driving trip through NW Scotland all the way up to Ullapool before we aborted the whole thing because of endless rain and fog.

What's seriously unlucky for Galeforce and her co-passengers is that we in Southern and Eastern England are still suffering the never-ending heatwave and scorching sunshine.

Had an interesting experience re lack of malt in the observation lounge this evening. It’s like running out of coals in Newcastle. We’ve been in Oban all day with numerous whisky shops and a distillery. We’re also out of tanquerey ten, pellegrino. I’m requesting a meeting with the F&B manager tomorrow. Chairsin, your wish for an absence of NF may come true but I’m certainly not assisting in its consumption. It seems that purchasing has gone to pot.

Oh No - does this mean I should be careful what I wish for ???? (One of the few things worse than no NF is no champagne at all).

Please let us know how the F&B Manager responds. Really not a good excuse for running out of such standard beverages in that part of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our recent Seabourn cruise they ran out of lots of things but there always was a replacement. NF became Moet, Pellegrino became Perrier, etc. First world problem at best [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First world problems indeed. Whilst not fantastic champers, I wouldn’t complain if NF became Moet and Chandon!