Route of the Vikings Live on Board

galeforce9

Me too - Moet or Bolly - hence my post #23 to which Eleanor referenced above.

Actually on a Caribbean cruise years ago they also ran out of fizzy water and had to restock with many cases of Perrier bought at a market in ST Bart’s. Don’t you know that was some pricy bubbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Galeforce, I hope you are continuing to have a wonderful voyage. Could you talk to us a bit about what the temperatures have been like on your trip? Unseasonably warm? Coolish?

Yesterday we were fortunate to visit St Kilda. It’s been on my to do list for many years.

The archipelago of St Kilda, the remotest part of the British Isles, lies 41 miles (66 kilometres) west of Benbecula in Scotland's Outer Hebrides.

Its islands with their exceptional cliffs and sea stacs form the most important seabird breeding station in north-west Europe. The evacuation of its native population in 1930 brought to a close an extraordinary story of survival.

The site tells that story and also explains activities taking place today in this unique archipelago.

Today, three organisations, The National Trust for Scotland, Scottish Natural Heritage and the MoD, work in partnership to further a continuing programme of conservation and research on the islands to ensure the care and protection of this World Heritage Site

The islands of St Kilda hold over half a million breeding seabirds, including the world's largest northern gannet colony of over 60,000 pairs.

Just before dinner we cruised up to a further two islands of the archipelago, Boreray and Stac Lee. Pictures to follow. The views from the deck were stunning.

During the day we had been anchored off the main island of Hirta, for only people on Ventures excursions to go ashore. The rangers had put a limit on the number of guests coming ashore (I think 260), so, whilst pricey, it’s a good idea to book an excursion early. There were two trips on offer, a hike to a viewpoint, or a tour of the settlement with the ship’s onboard archaeologist along with the resident archeologist (one of her former students). Both the guides were excellent and they swapped between the two archeology tours operating at the same time. There was a mandatory 8am briefing on ship for all passengers going ashore.

Two hours were allowed ashore and it was enough time. It wasn’t possible to stay ashore after the trip had finished. It’s a shame as I would have liked to hike to the viewpoint after I’d paid for the other trip. I was properly equipped with sticks, boots and a full map of the island courtesy of amazon.

Time was allowed to visit the small gift shop, which did a roaring trade. Zodiacs operated in batches, so the island was cleared of Seabourn guests between each tranche of tours.

Only open top boats are allowed to land on the island, hence the zodiacs.

Usually, to get to St Kilda involves a tough journey. Small boats travel for about 3-4 hours, depending on departure point; trips are often cancelled due to rough waters. However, the passengers do get the benefit of being free to roam ashore on arrival and can hike and tour the site freely.

I’d recommend any who come here to have proper footwear. It’s a little similar to the Falklands underfoot. Plenty of sheep dung!! The grass was also very wet and this even soaked through my leather boots by the end. Proper boot scrubbing facilities were in place outside the gift shop and back on the tender platform, along with a disinfectant tray.

SLSD- for me the temperatures have been mixed but not cold. No hats or gloves required yet. Sunscreen on the first three days. Then a very good waterproof (thin) on the next day. The following two days were a bit misty damp. However, I don’t think the temp has got below 57 (14c) in the day time. The next few days’ forecast is brighter, up to about 17/18 in Orkney/Shetland. We are just sailing into Ullapool now and the mountains are clear