"Fast casual" restaurant serving Mofongo

newcruzer2

Hi ,while doing research for our san juan stop, I read about MoFongo and now it is a .. must do.. for us BUT does any one know of a good place that is just "fast casual" (meaning NOT a long sit down meal with a waiter but not exactly fast food)

Ty in advance for feedback

Ps if MoFongo really isn't worth the trouble to seek out, please let me know TY

Punto de Vista Rooftop Restaurant, 307 Calle de La Fortaleza, Old San Juan. Google it. Not fast food but definitely fast casual efficient service. Also offer 2 for 1 Mojitos at kunch. Plenty of time to get there, have lunch and a couple of drinks, and get back to the ship when docked for the day port of call at the Old San Juan piers.

Is it a must do? Up to you, but it is a very nice treatment of a local dish. The 2 for 1 Mojitos don't hurt either....

Punto de Vista Rooftop Restaurant, 307 Calle de La Fortaleza, Old San Juan. Google it. Not fast food but definitely fast casual efficient service. Also offer 2 for 1 Mojitos at kunch. Plenty of time to get there, have lunch and a couple of drinks, and get back to the ship when docked for the day port of call at the Old San Juan piers.

Is it a must do? Up to you, but it is a very nice treatment of a local dish. The 2 for 1 Mojitos don't hurt either....

Looked it up, looks great TY

The only way to truly enjoy mofongo is if it's freshly made, not sitting there waiting to be reheated. The technique to make it requires great care to get it right, and if you're not willing to wait, better look for something else. If you find a place where they have it on display under a light bulb, you don't want to waste your money with that and the people trying to sell you that are scammers. IMHO.

Ty for the replys :)

All of the restaurants mentioned above, seem really nice and the way to go.

I live in cajun country and most dishes here take hours, if not the whole day to prepare BUT many places serve what we call a "plate lunch" ... basically the same quality dish in a Styrofoam to-go box.

Was hoping for something similar. But will enjoy the nice sit down lunch and drinkS :)

There used to be a small corner restaurant across the street from where Carnival docks. It is at the stop for the free trolley. I don't remember the name but just cross the street and walk toward the Sheraton. If you get to the Sheraton, you missed it. If still there it had very good mofongo and other dishes. It's little sit down restaurant with quick service which is what I think you are looking for.

There used to be a small corner restaurant across the street from where Carnival docks. It is at the stop for the free trolley. I don't remember the name but just cross the street and walk toward the Sheraton. If you get to the Sheraton, you missed it. If still there it had very good mofongo and other dishes. It's little sit down restaurant with quick service which is what I think you are looking for.

Ty for the reply and the directions, sounds like the winner :)

In April, we asked locals where to get the best Mofongo. They sent us to Cafe Puerto Rico. It is a small place, but, it was delicious. We got Trifongo instead of mofongo. So good!

In April, we asked locals where to get the best Mofongo. They sent us to Cafe Puerto Rico. It is a small place, but, it was delicious. We got Trifongo instead of mofongo. So good!

Is that walkable from where the ship docks?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh I’ve made guacamole in this manner before. We shall see.....

You don't have to cook anything to make guacamole, just mash up the avocado and the added seasoning and ingredients. You first have to fry slices of plantain before you can mash it up with the other ingredients to make mofongo. Unlikely a restaurant is going to give you access to a frying pan and a stove to heat the oil and cook the plantains on.

• 3 weeks later...