What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

54 minutes ago, JAYNECOBB said:

This is my first time upgrading and I have a few questions that are not addressed on the NCL website. I'll try and keep it short.

1. If you put in multiple bids is there any way to prioritize them in an order of preference? 

2. Does a higher bid increase your chances? A rep at NCL said on the phone today that the bid awards are totally random, bid amount didn't matter. 

3. How do you see if a particular class of cabin is already sold out?  NCL rep today also said that what they show available for sale on the website and what was actually available were not necessarily the same. 

4. Here is a hypothetical... You have a balcony stateroom. Max bid for the Garden Villa is $5000 pp. 4 people are bidding, lets just say the bids are $1500, $2000, $3000 and you bid the max of $5000. If you are awarded the upgrade do you pay $5000 or something between you and the next highest bidder like eBay?

If these questions have already been addressed, I apologize. 

Thanks  

1. You cannot prioritize your bids. The best you can do is bid more for the cabin types you are most interested and less for those you are less interested in.
  2. Higher bids definitely increase your chances. It would be moronic for NCL not to take the highest bids. They are in business to make money.
  3. On the NCL web site, it will tell you which cabin types are sold out. Though the processing of bids and the assigning of GTY cabins can shake things up.
  4. You pay what you bid if you win. If you bid $100 per person, you will pay $100. It doesn't matter what others bid. Also note that if you win your bid, your credit card will be charged immediately and your new cabin will be assigned. There is no going back.

Had booked an interior on the Gem sailing April 26th from Boston to Bermuda, 7 nights.  Bid $50 pp for an oceanview.  Began my bid at $100 pp for a blacony, upped that to $150 a few weeks ago, then on Friday, when someone on my book of faces group page let us all know her balcony upgrade for $225 pp was accepted (from an interior), I went and upped my bid to $225.  Yesterday I got notice that my OV bid was accepted.

27 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

Had booked an interior on the Gem sailing April 26th from Boston to Bermuda, 7 nights.  Bid $50 pp for an oceanview.  Began my bid at $100 pp for a blacony, upped that to $150 a few weeks ago, then on Friday, when someone on my book of faces group page let us all know her balcony upgrade for $225 pp was accepted (from an interior), I went and upped my bid to $225.  Yesterday I got notice that my OV bid was accepted.

Ha! Figures. But at least you did get an upgrade and now you'll have a little more money to spend on board.

32 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Ha! Figures. But at least you did get an upgrade and now you'll have a little more money to spend on board.

Yeah, guess I waited too long to up my bid.  Funny thing was that I was thinking about increasing it that very day, prior to hearing about the other person's upgrade.  But second guessed myself, and wasn't sure if I really wanted to spend the extra money.  But it's all good - a little bigger cabin, a view (of the rain in Bermuda and Boston, it looks like).  And since it's only my second cruise, and first was in an inside, I'm movin' on up!

• Like 2

Does anyone know if it's possible to bid more than the maximum listed?  For example if the bidding shows that the max is $1000, can you bid $1100? I can't remember when I bid last time if it was just a slide bar that went to the max or if you could type in an amount.

Linda

15 minutes ago, ImADaneFan said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to bid more than the maximum listed?  For example if the bidding shows that the max is $1000, can you bid $1100? I can't remember when I bid last time if it was just a slide bar that went to the max or if you could type in an amount.

Linda

It's a slider, so you can't bid beyond max. Though if you put in a max bid and they then lower the available max bid, you would stay above the new max until you changed your bid. There was a stretch back in November where they really seemed to be messing with the min/max bids a lot (not sure if it was intentional or a tech glitch) so people were below min or above max quite frequently.

5 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It's a slider, so you can't bid beyond max. Though if you put in a max bid and they then lower the available max bid, you would stay above the new max until you changed your bid. There was a stretch back in November where they really seemed to be messing with the min/max bids a lot (not sure if it was intentional or a tech glitch) so people were below min or above max quite frequently.

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm still a ways out before bidding will start on my cruise, but I wanted to be prepared.

Thanks Linda

56 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

Yeah, guess I waited too long to up my bid.  Funny thing was that I was thinking about increasing it that very day, prior to hearing about the other person's upgrade.  But second guessed myself, and wasn't sure if I really wanted to spend the extra money.  But it's all good - a little bigger cabin, a view (of the rain in Bermuda and Boston, it looks like).  And since it's only my second cruise, and first was in an inside, I'm movin' on up!

We are on the same cruise and just got an up grade to a balcony, bid was 160..Didn't get the mini that I bid on which was 185..See you on the Gem in  a few days

Hi everyone - wanted to get input on this before I bid.   We are 3 people, and received a notice to bid (currently in large balcony).   It is offering for me to bid on an H5 cabin, the text says "sumptuous hideaway for three" but in the smaller text below says Sleeps 2.   As far as I know the H5s only sleep 2 but I checked the Epic deck plans and there is one H5 that does sleep 3 but it's a disabled cabin.   Any ideas why NCL would offer that as a bid - and if we won it....would they potentially be able to take it away from us at check in if someone else needed it?   I certainly don't want to take a disabled cabin if someone needed it, and I am wondering if this is some kind of glitch/mistake.

1 hour ago, BingoSlots said:

Question for the group - 

If I am awaiting a bid acceptance, can I still an online check-in? Or should I wait?

You can do your online check-in, but I would hold off on printing eDocs and luggage tags until 48 hours out.

1 hour ago, BingoSlots said:

Question for the group - 

If I am awaiting a bid acceptance, can I still an online check-in? Or should I wait?

wait 48 hours out as Jamie said. I am waiting for my bid acceptance or not, too.

Edited by spanishguy1970

Hi, I’ve got 1 bid pending at the moment from inside to balcony on the Spirit departing Rome 8th May. Ive tried doing some mock bookings over the last 2 weeks to check capacity and ship has been showing full for ocean views and balconies. Can I take it then that I won’t get an upgrade even though my bid is still showing pending.

1 hour ago, Firebhoy said:

Hi, I’ve got 1 bid pending at the moment from inside to balcony on the Spirit departing Rome 8th May. Ive tried doing some mock bookings over the last 2 weeks to check capacity and ship has been showing full for ocean views and balconies. Can I take it then that I won’t get an upgrade even though my bid is still showing pending.

You never know. It seems unlikely that you will get the upgrade, but there could be last-minute cancellations or inventory opened up due to upgrades happening at higher levels. Probably best to plan on not being upgraded and be pleasantly surprised if you are.

• Like 1

Thanks Jamie Logical. I did try and upgrade by phoning NCL but It would have cost me about another£900 and I would have  lost my ultimate all inclusive package that was available when I booked in the UK.Not two bothered if I dont get my bid as we don’t spend much time in the cabin anyway. 

Edited by Firebhoy

On 4/23/2019 at 10:54 AM, ImADaneFan said:

Linda

Why would you? The Max bid a lot of times is about the same or even More than what it would cost you if you just booked the cabin normally. You can easily do this by doing a mock booking

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

Why would you? The Max bid a lot of times is about the same or even More than what it would cost you if you just booked the cabin normally. You can easily do this by doing a mock booking

The current cost of the cabin I hope to bid on, is the double my current cabin.  I don't expect the price to drop low enough to get in the price range I would be willing to pay, but I would be willing to pay more than the normal max bid I've seen on my other cruises. 

Linda

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyBuffet99 said:

New to NCL. What is this bid to upgrade? And where do I find the information on it? On the NCL website? Or is there a secret back channel page. lol 

Thanks 

Once you reach 80 days out there is the option to bid on upgrades on your My NCL page.  This is available if you book directly with NCL or if your TA participates in the program.  There is a limit to the category of cabin you can bid on... I believe you can bid on up 2 levels from the category you are in.  IE if you're in an inside you can bid on oceanview and balcony categories.

Linda

15 minutes ago, ImADaneFan said:

Once you reach 80 days out there is the option to bid on upgrades on your My NCL page.  This is available if you book directly with NCL or if your TA participates in the program.  There is a limit to the category of cabin you can bid on... I believe you can bid on up 2 levels from the category you are in.  IE if you're in an inside you can bid on oceanview and balcony categories.

Linda

Thank you. When I see people say that they bid $50 pp is that for the total cruise or per day extra? 

I am in a mini suite, so I need to check what would be 2 above that. Would love the haven, but I think my bank would recognize me when I tried robbing it 👍

1 minute ago, JimmyBuffet99 said:

Thank you. When I see people say that they bid $50 pp is that for the total cruise or per day extra? 

I am in a mini suite, so I need to check what would be 2 above that. Would love the haven, but I think my bank would recognize me when I tried robbing it 👍

When they say they bid $50 it would be for the entire cruise, but that is times 2 (even if you are cruising solo).  So a $50 bid would actually be $100 for the entire cruise.

If you are in a mini suite you would be able to bid on the Haven.  :classic_biggrin:

Linda

2 minutes ago, JimmyBuffet99 said:

The bid per person is for the entire cruise, not per day. It also paid for double-occupancy, no matter how many people you have in your cabin. So it's always double the bid. Meaning if you bid $50, you will pay $100 whether you are sailing solo or you have four people in your room.

If you are originally in a mini-suite, you will be able to bid on all Haven categories. Minimum bids will be far more than $50 per person though. More likely about $400 per person for the lowest Haven category.

23 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The bid per person is for the entire cruise, not per day. It also paid for double-occupancy, no matter how many people you have in your cabin. So it's always double the bid. Meaning if you bid $50, you will pay $100 whether you are sailing solo or you have four people in your room.

If you are originally in a mini-suite, you will be able to bid on all Haven categories. Minimum bids will be far more than $50 per person though. More likely about $400 per person for the lowest Haven category.

Thank you. Not sure something like that would be worth it for me. As a Canadian, that is an additional 25-27% higher as well after the exchange.  I am ok in the mini suite. We usually sail with an inside cabin, so this is already quite an upgrade. 

For the last couple of weeks the NCL website showed the cabin we want to upgrade to as available for purchase. 17 days until the cruise.  I just checked the website and it now shows that cabin to be sold out. No notification that we were awarded our bid and we still have our original room. Is it time to give up hope or is the website sometimes inaccurate?