What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

2 hours ago, AllAmericanAmy said:

you mean there are only approx 45 balcony cabins avail on your sailing, right?

I guess?  I mean, it's tough to get a true read on it because I don't know how NCL operates behind the scenes with cabin booking, or what Guaranteed actually means as it relates to availability.

Using the balcony example, right now they're selling 4 balcony room categories.  BF and B6 are being sold guaranteed only.  Since you can't pick the cabin, there's not really a way to get a count on how many of those might be available.  Family Balcony categories B4 and B3 are showing 10 and 35 cabins available respectively, so a total of 45 balcony cabins that I can see.

The only real theory I have is based on what I observed happening with category B6.  As of 11/13, there was still one cabin showing available in that category.  The next day, it moved to Guaranteed only.  I assume that means that the last cabin was sold.  If I make that assumption, then logic follows that Guaranteed = no rooms REALLY available in that category.  

I would guess that NCL has to take a look at total cabins available on the boat when setting these Guaranteed options.  As long as they still have total cabins available, they can probably take Guaranteed reservations on any category not in The Haven.  They can then use upgrade bids to shuffle passengers up if needed, which frees up rooms to hand out to the Guaranteed bids.  That's probably why I'm seeing prices rising on the cheaper inside categories and falling on the Minis and Havens... they'd rather sell the more expensive rooms to new cruisers if they can.  If they have to they'll accept upgrade bids to fill them and be able to maximize profits with Guarantees they can place in the holes the upgraders move from.  

All this is my really long-winded, rambling-at-1-in-the-morning way to say, I THINK the counts I have are relatively close to what's available.  It's the best estimate I can make at least.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I guess?  I mean, it's tough to get a true read on it because I don't know how NCL operates behind the scenes with cabin booking, or what Guaranteed actually means as it relates to availability.

Using the balcony example, right now they're selling 4 balcony room categories.  BF and B6 are being sold guaranteed only.  Since you can't pick the cabin, there's not really a way to get a count on how many of those might be available.  Family Balcony categories B4 and B3 are showing 10 and 35 cabins available respectively, so a total of 45 balcony cabins that I can see.

The only real theory I have is based on what I observed happening with category B6.  As of 11/13, there was still one cabin showing available in that category.  The next day, it moved to Guaranteed only.  I assume that means that the last cabin was sold.  If I make that assumption, then logic follows that Guaranteed = no rooms REALLY available in that category.  

I would guess that NCL has to take a look at total cabins available on the boat when setting these Guaranteed options.  As long as they still have total cabins available, they can probably take Guaranteed reservations on any category not in The Haven.  They can then use upgrade bids to shuffle passengers up if needed, which frees up rooms to hand out to the Guaranteed bids.  That's probably why I'm seeing prices rising on the cheaper inside categories and falling on the Minis and Havens... they'd rather sell the more expensive rooms to new cruisers if they can.  If they have to they'll accept upgrade bids to fill them and be able to maximize profits with Guarantees they can place in the holes the upgraders move from.  

All this is my really long-winded, rambling-at-1-in-the-morning way to say, I THINK the counts I have are relatively close to what's available.  It's the best estimate I can make at least.  

I think your right!

8 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I think you are right too. I have also gone to other websites that show more than 15 cabins in each category and keep watch of what is still to be sold. But the Haven/suites are dropping in price on my cruise with lots of availability while inside and balcony keep going up with limited availability. 

2 minutes ago, Weluv2fish said:

I did not see that on mine 

but I saw the credit card charge pending first 

so then I knew. Woohoo

i am so hoping you get yours.  Let us know 

which cruise.  Which ship are you on 

that's a good sign! when is your cruise? 

2 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Processing = time to get hyped, yes.

Congratulations!  Hope you got the one you really wanted.

you know, I was more than happy with my upgrade...I am not sure of the new room number but it will be so much better no matter...I went from inside to Balcony...I am sailing this Sunday, Nov. 25 on the Escape....

1 hour ago, StormiB said:

that's a good sign! when is your cruise? 

This sunday 

11 day out of Puerto Rico on the Norwegian Dawn

we won the bid for the owner suite with the double balconies

Have had the trip booked  since March

we just found out we got the bid  two weeks ago

• Thanks 1

I am on the Gem on 1/20-1/27 and as far as I can see no one has been offered an upgrade bid (from the roll call or this forum) we are 62 days out and with mock bookings I see plenty available for all state rooms across the board. Im interested to see if anyone is offered a bid upgrade for our sailing.

19 hours ago, misstamster said:

you know, I was more than happy with my upgrade...I am not sure of the new room number but it will be so much better no matter...I went from inside to Balcony...I am sailing this Sunday, Nov. 25 on the Escape....

Log in NCL account and view your summary page the new cabin should be there. Now you can print your new doc's & luggage tags.

I am booked on the 19-day Gem Panama Canal cruise from LA yo NY on 1/27-2/15 (guarantee inside cabin) 
Have not received, seen, or even heard of any upgrades for this sailing.  
Could it be that because the Gem is a smaller ship, it's already fully booked?  
Does the Gem even offer upgrade bids? Or is there still a chance?  
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Foodie Ruth

2 hours ago, FoodieRuth2 said:

I am booked on the 19-day Gem Panama Canal cruise from LA yo NY on 1/27-2/15 (guarantee inside cabin) 

Foodie Ruth

The Gem definitely does or did offer upgrades. We were upgraded from an inside to a balcony on the Gem back in June.

3 hours ago, FoodieRuth2 said:

Foodie Ruth

The do it - we went from Aft Balcony to Owners Suite last Thanksgiving on the Gem.

Some TA's don't participate and I've also heard of some people who didn't get the email but it shows up on their MyNCL account.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Ahays00 said:

Got an upgrade offer today 80 days out Feb 2 bliss. Currently in balcony. I'd love to bid on a haven room. I've never sailed haven before. What cost besides the bid are additional for haven guest? Thanks..

really just the tips!  be generous to your butler:)

• Thanks 1

@Ahays00To add to this slightly (if no one else did before me, was too short on time to check every post, sorry), the daily gratuities are higher and then the Butler is not part of that gratuity sharing as @nosaints43 noted! The concierge should be tipped too if they work for you. Note that we have had great butlers and horrible ones - as with anything else, tip by service. But if you get the usual Haven extras, you will get extras like drink packages for 2st two guests, $50 off each port for excursions, 3-4 speciality meals... note that with two of those freebies comes some speciality taxes (as usual the hand giving also takes). Still, you will love the Haven 😊 Have fun!

Lynn

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Thanks 1

If you get the Haven from bidding, I don't think you get the Haven promos, but the promos you had with your original room.

With that being said, the past few promos have been take all 5, etc.. so I guess makes no difference.

What's weird and I don't know if any one else is experiencing this but the bid system changes from login to login.

For instance, I bid for a H3 room and the min bid was $2000.  So I did, and then when I logged in a few secs later to modify my bid, I could change it to $1000.

Another weird thing is when I check my bid, it's good, then I log out and log in and its poor....???

Breakaway from New Orleans 11/25 11 night. Had confirmed balcony and had bids in for spa balcony,mini-suite spa balcony and 3 different haven rooms.  Was upgraded to spa balcony for $175/pp.  not getting haven saved lots of $$ to spend elsewhere on ship.  Just a few more days now!!!  😂🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xcell said:

If you get the Haven from bidding, I don't think you get the Haven promos, but the promos you had with your original room.

With that being said, the past few promos have been take all 5, etc.. so I guess makes no difference.

What's weird and I don't know if any one else is experiencing this but the bid system changes from login to login.

For instance, I bid for a H3 room and the min bid was $2000.  So I did, and then when I logged in a few secs later to modify my bid, I could change it to $1000.

Another weird thing is when I check my bid, it's good, then I log out and log in and its poor....???

I have been seeing the same thing for our December Star sailing. Odd!

9 hours ago, xcell said:

I had been told both, so no clue of the truth as we have always done a straight Haven vs upgrading. But I thought it worth noting that the price difference for Haven guests can be higher in a few ways (most people don’t realize the first time with those “freebies” that there can be a significant addition of money required to cover “taxes and extra gratuities”). Better prepared than not 😊

4 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I had been told both, so no clue of the truth as we have always done a straight Haven vs upgrading. But I thought it worth noting that the price difference for Haven guests can be higher in a few ways (most people don’t realize the first time with those “freebies” that there can be a significant addition of money required to cover “taxes and extra gratuities”). Better prepared than not 😊

You definitely do not get additional Free at Sea perks when upgrading from a lower category into the Haven. You do, however, get the benefits of a Haven room like butler, concierge, access to the Haven restaurant, etc. It's the same with all upgrades. You get any additional benefits of the ROOM (like spa access if upgrading into a spa mini-suite, for instance), but you do not get any additional Free at Sea promos.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xcell said:

That's happening for me as well, but only for one particular category: regular mini-suites.  I haven't been watching the minimum bid, but half the time when I check it the max bid is $300, and half the time it's $400.  I've even seen it change back and forth within the same login.  

No idea what's happening there, but it seems like a weird bug with the bidding interface.  I'm not letting it affect the amount that I've bid.  I'm happy with the number I've put out there.