Heads up for those who drive through Georgia to Florida ports!

irishgal432

From 1935:

1935-june-radio-craft-sm.webp

From original article. I did a speech on this.

The link, yeah. My 2012 car with stock GPS (with AM/FM/SAT bands) is "busy" enough, but the aftermarket radio I installed in my truck has 3 preset groups for XM. The button to change preset groups is a very small item on a very big GPS-size screen.

I'm not knocking cellphone-use laws at all; I thoroughly agree with regulating use. Just saying there's also plenty else for drivers to get stupid about while flying 60-80 mph down a busy road. I'm sure everybody posting here knows exactly how busy I-95 can be, and in fact I've been rear-ended twice on that highway (during one of those unexpected traffic slowdowns) because the idiot behind me wasn't watching the road.

You can't regulate stupidity, sad to say.

The point of my message was that the fight against distracted driving is nothing new. They were fighting against even having car radios in the 1930s because of the "distraction". When I was shopping for a new car in 2014, one of the required features was Bluetooth integration.... something that wasn't even being offered as a common feature until the 2009 models. My reasons was two-fold: Safety when taking that rare conversation on my mobile phone (I don't have a home phone number), partially so that I can listen to audiobooks or my own music while on a road trip.

As long as we are pulled over off the road and parked, we dont have to worry about that thankfully.

I know it's stating the obvious to most, but "Parked" has to mean with the engine off, so not just stopped. It's amazing how many people think it's fine to pull over into the breakdown lane on the side of a busy highway(or some other No Stopping" location just to use their phone. When you are "...pulled over off the road and parked...", it has to be somewhere where it's legal to stop, park and kill the engine.

My home province, Quebec, just boosted the distracted driving laws WAY up. With taxes and surcharges, the first offense starts at $480 and goes up from there