Cruise Cancelled - Private Trip Insurance refund?

We were booked on Rotterdam's Sept 3, 2019 24 day cruise to Iceland. Our roll call has many posts saying this cruise has been cancelled. Of course, Holland will refund our deposit. We purchased trip insurance for over $ 500. According to the insurance company's website we are past the date for a refund. Will Holland refund us the cost of the trip insurance?

I called the trip insurance company and they said to contact our travel agent and find out about a refund. Our travel agent is on vacation for a couple of days. Has anyone run into this situation in the past?

I am sure that HAL is going to have quite a few of these issues related to their recent announcement. IMHO HAL should quickly make everyone whole...who lost money as a result of booking those cruises and paying for trip insurance. This is not an Act of God (or Force Majeure) and customers should not suffer financially for management decisions.

As to travel/cruise agents being on vacation, we only deal with larger high volume agencies that are able to function when some of their staff take vacations :). In the case of the OP I guess they will just have to wait until they hear from their travel agent.

Hank

If they don't compensate you for the travel insurance, file in small claims court. The fee is minimal and once they are aware of the suit, large corporations usually find it cheaper to settle with you versus sending a lawyer to court to represent them.

Just heard from our TA that this cruise was cancelled, so after seeing this thread I emailed her and asked about the insurance. She said that it's true that insurance is non-refundable, but the policy can be switched to another cruise. If it's a more expensive policy we pay the difference, but if it's cheaper, they'll refund the difference. Haven't decided which cruise yet, but I'm sure we'll be booking something. So, ask again, not for a refund but for it to be applied to a different cruise.

Michele

• Like 1

On a similar note, if you are in a Code Red situation and confined to state room by the cruise line, could this be a refundable issue from the cruise line or could it be claimed from the travel insurance?

I was quarantined for 24 hours due to noro, a few years ago. Frankly, I didn't think to make a claim for insurance (I'm covered through my work benefits). However, after returning home, I received a letter from HAL indicating that I would receive a credit equal to one day's fare for my cruise/category for my next cruise. It was not OBC but an actual credit reducing my cruise fare. Considering I still received room service, medical advice (for free) and services of a "hazmat" team to clean my stateroom, I certainly used the services of the ship during those 24 hours, I was actually surprised to receive the credit.

I was quarantined for 24 hours due to noro, a few years ago. Frankly, I didn't think to make a claim for insurance (I'm covered through my work benefits). However, after returning home, I received a letter from HAL indicating that I would receive a credit equal to one day's fare for my cruise/category for my next cruise. It was not OBC but an actual credit reducing my cruise fare. Considering I still received room service, medical advice (for free) and services of a "hazmat" team to clean my stateroom, I certainly used the services of the ship during those 24 hours, I was actually surprised to receive the credit.

We had the same thing happen on royal Caribbean twice. Glad to know they issue future credit. On royal Caribbean, they only issue in 24 hour increments. I was about 46 hours of quarantine, and only got a day in credit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If they don't compensate you for the travel insurance, file in small claims court. The fee is minimal and once they are aware of the suit, large corporations usually find it cheaper to settle with you versus sending a lawyer to court to represent them.

One must deter mine in what jurisdiction suit must be filed. If the Plaintiff lives in Boston and the stated location for suit is Seattle, that advice is not very practical

Most cruise contracts indicate where suit must be brought.

I’m wondering about travel insured, since they only allow one date change.

I’m hoping they’ll allow one additional date change since HAL did the canceling. That’s if I can get someone to tell me what’s happening, and what my options are. So far, all the information is here. I’m very grateful. I still think I should have heard first from the TA.

I emailed my travel agent when I learned of the cancelled cruise. He had not been notified, but contacted HAL and received a letter for his agency and for his customers on the cruise.

He advised me that the insurance company should issue a voucher which can be applied to another cruise within two years. We are interested in the 20 day Icelandic Fjords & Greenland Explorer embarking on August 18, 2019 from Amsterdam. If we can resolve the trip insurance issue, we will probably transfer the booking to the new cruise.

Thanks for all your input.

On a similar note, if you are in a Code Red situation and confined to state room by the cruise line, could this be a refundable issue from the cruise line or could it be claimed from the travel insurance?

In addition to what Alberta Quilter reported, Nationwide has plans for cruise passengers that reimburse for Itinerary Changes prior to sailing, during sailing, missed shore excursions and Shipboard disruptions (if an itinerary change is related to a virus, among other things). These are available through the company or insuremytrip (and others, I would imagine).

It sounds like things are looking better for you, “14 months and counting”. All the Best!

I’m wondering about travel insured, since they only allow one date change.

I’m hoping they’ll allow one additional date change since HAL did the canceling. That’s if I can get someone to tell me what’s happening, and what my options are. So far, all the information is here. I’m very grateful. I still think I should have heard first from the TA.

Is it possible that HAL notified your TA but given the holiday, perhaps your TA has been less than prompt contacting you? Maybe your TA is away for the 4th?

Do most private insurances require that you take out the insurance when you book? When I take HAL insurance, I do not have to take it out prior to final payment date, which in this case would have eliminated the problem.

We were booked on Rotterdam's Sept 3, 2019 24 day cruise to Iceland. Our roll call has many posts saying this cruise has been cancelled. Of course, Holland will refund our deposit. We purchased trip insurance for over $ 500. According to the insurance company's website we are past the date for a refund. Will Holland refund us the cost of the trip insurance?

I called the trip insurance company and they said to contact our travel agent and find out about a refund. Our travel agent is on vacation for a couple of days. Has anyone run into this situation in the past?

Isn't HAL offering you a similar itinerary on another ship? I do not see any reason why they should reimburse you the cost of your insurance. And the insurance can be transferred to another cruise.

That has not been my experience, as an attorney, and even small claims can be difficult to prosecute. Venue and jurisdiction being just two of the issues. For $500, IMHO, it is not worth it. Taking out trip insurance with a third party provider was strictly voluntary on OP's part. HAL's could defend by pointing out that it has its own cancellation policy which does not need to be purchased until final payment.

Do most private insurances require that you take out the insurance when you book?

As Roz said, IF you want/need pre-existing condition coverage, then you must purchase insurance within a short amount of time after booking, generally 2-3 weeks.

The problem for those who don't have a pre-existing condition, so don't purchase, can be a condition develops after the 2-3 weeks is over. It may not be sufficient initially to prevent cruising, but can worsen by the time of, or during, the cruise. Too late then for insurance to cover the loss.

Even something as simple as a change in dosage of a medicine (including an improvement reducing the dose) is considered a change to a pre-existing condition.

Is it possible that HAL notified your TA but given the holiday, perhaps your TA has been less than prompt contacting you? Maybe your TA is away for the 4th?

The only contact from my TA was a survey asking how they did on our recent inquiry. We got it today, but still no information on cancellations. They contacted me late yesterday and said my cruises hadn’t been cancelled. I’m looking forward to the survey.

The only contact from my TA was a survey asking how they did on our recent inquiry. We got it today, but still no information on cancellations. They contacted me late yesterday and said my cruises hadn’t been cancelled. I’m looking forward to the survey.

Who is the 'they ' who Contacted you late yesterday? Do you mean your TA's office or Hal? Sorry but I am unclear what you mean.

Who is the 'they ' who Contacted you late yesterday? Do you mean your TA's office or Hal? Sorry but I am unclear what you mean.

It’s the TA.

I was hoping I could hear from HAL to find out if our two cruises had been cancelled, then tell that. To the TA. But no such luck. Every time I call the TA, we get a different person. All the TA seemed to do was check online, and theHAL website won’t help.

Within the past two years we have had to cancel or change a cruise and in both cases we got satisfactory resolution with the private travel insurance companies, getting a 2 year in one case and an 18 month time period to use the insurance premium for another cruise. as long as we let them know of our plans in a timely manner.

I just spoke to a representative of our private travel insurance company who confirmed we have 770 days from purchase date of policy to transfer funds to another trip. If the new trip is more expensive, we will pay the difference. If the new trip is less expensive, we will receive a refund.

Thank you again for all your replies. Cruise critic is such a wonderful resource for cruisers.

That has not been my experience, as an attorney, and even small claims can be difficult to prosecute. Venue and jurisdiction being just two of the issues. For $500, IMHO, it is not worth it. Taking out trip insurance with a third party provider was strictly voluntary on OP's part. HAL's could defend by pointing out that it has its own cancellation policy which does not need to be purchased until final payment.

HAL's policies include ;pittance for medical coverage out of cougtnry. HAL does not sell Travel insuraNce . They sell cancelllation coverrage. If someone buy s HAL's cancellation policy and needs medical insurance more so than cancellation , they have to buy another policy from a third party In order to ha ve medic al insurance in case of illness or injury. Not ma ny of us want to buy two policies from two sources, for the same cruise, in order to have medical insurance while traveling. A defener to the theory saying to buy HAL's cancellation on it is Very bad POLICY For travel. I t is only good if tthe trip is cancelled. :rolleyes: