Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence

Peregrina651

Hi...I am just doing the Paris to Normandy but will be watching everyone's comments. So excited for our first River cruise in a month! Jane

By any chance, are you sailing on the August 24 sailing? My friend and I will be on that trip...our first river cruise.

Carol

By any chance, are you sailing on the August 24 sailing? My friend and I will be on that trip...our first river cruise.

Carol

Carol, hope you will consider some live posts as you travel, especially comments about the tours you are taking. Feedback on the tours is always hard to come by. TIA.

We are scheduled on sept 17, 2019, paris to avignon.

Any suggestions when we leave the ship. We are travelling on to venice by car, through Switzerland. Thank you, carolyn

Good question but a bit off topic for this thread. I think you will get more answers to your question if you ask this same question in the Ports of Call/Europe forums, if for no other reason than that there is a much bigger audience in Ports of Call.

More from CharTrav:

Sorry - decided to work backwards - starting from today at Les Andelys. But will start with some overall impressions of the Avignon to Lyons leg. Basically, the Avignon to Lyons leg was more happy go lucky. Was it a result of the unbounded ebullience of our program director? Or because this part was simply fun? The Normandy Beach cruise, by its nature, is more serious. How can it be otherwise? And who does it attract? The Rinda cruise includes many family groups - some with adolescents. The Delling cruise was all adults. The Rinda program director Ken and his crew are universally older and don't seem to be as bouncy as the previous crew. But with a little flattery, you can get anything from them. emoji6.png

Right now am cruising back to Le Pecq lounging on the sundeck under the setting sun and perfect temps with wind that picked up and then went away. What a perfect end to a cruise eh?

Today’s included tour was to the Château Gaillard, which one can do in two ways. One that I took is the strenuous way. And I mean strenuous. A nearly straight climb up a paved road with a break half way up to let us catch our breath and be given background on the history of why this set of castles was built (think Richard the Lionhearted, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the general business of building a country by marrying off your daughters). Then a steady slog up again until we reached the beginning of a switch back route to the castle. A few more stops along the way with more historical background on why the castle was built (to catch breath and get out of the sun). Gorgeous views of the river below. And then finally a slow and careful (for me at least) trek back down to the ship. Others went into town to do the usual shopping etc but all I could think of was Advil, beer, and a shower. It was only 90 min btw. Others did a version of this excursion that skipped the trek to the castle entirely and just did the town. From what I heard, folks who did that were happy. A good included excursion. Leavened by Patricia who was one of the tour guides at Monet's Gardens too (she wasn't ours but clearly loved by others) and did a wonderful presentation on Impressionism while we were in Vernon.

Have attached a picture I took as we were approaching Les Andeyls today. Don't normally think iPhone can possibly be as good as either of my Nikons. But think you'll agree this is fairly good.

c80598e9842696456249471a8190c16b.jpg

Tomorrow we're doing Versailles, Napoleon's Château de Malmaison, and Paris by Night. Not sure if I'll report on that or the day trip to Normandy Beaches yesterday. To be determined. And packing dear God! Sigh.....

Have attached a picture I took as we were approaching Les Andeyls today. Don't normally think iPhone can possibly be as good as either of my Nikons. But think you'll agree this is fairly good.

c80598e9842696456249471a8190c16b.jpg

I always say "the best camera for the purpose is ... the one you have with you!" But it is a terrific picture regardless of camera (love the reflections in the water!) :D

My friend and I are doing Paris and the Heart of Normandy starting on August 24. We are spending an extra day in Paris after the cruise. Neither of us have ever done a river cruise. Can't wait!!

There are 4 of us from Maryland doing Paris to Normandy in Sept.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

For those who have done Paris to Normandy on Rinda, how long does it take by bus to get to Normandy? Booked on this cruise in Sept.

Thanks!

I googled it. The ship docks in Rouen and it is about a 2 hour drive to the beaches, depending on which beach you are heading to.

I looked into multiple alternatives to the Viking tour and ultimately decided that the Viking option was the best option. I thought of renting a car for four of us. We would have to have it back before 5pm when they close and we would have to pick it up the day before if we wanted to make an early start. (But I only checked out one franchise).

I looked at train service to Bayeux to meet a guide but the Saturday schedule is limited and we would get there late morning--and have to change trains. I'm sure that we could pay a guide to pick us up in Rouen but the tour starting in the Bayeux alone is 520€, so I can't imagine what they would charge for having to drive to Rouen and back twice in one day.

So, as I said, we are planning on doing the free tour with Viking. We have done tours with Viking in the past and I'm sure that it will be fine. We don't mind the slower pace of a bus tour.

For those who have done Paris to Normandy on Rinda, how long does it take by bus to get to Normandy? Booked on this cruise in Sept.

Thanks!

Yes, it was about 2 hrs each way. Traffic is not as not as problematic as say Paris.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

CharTrav, welcome home. Thank you for the travelogue. Looking forward to the rest of it--and the pictures as well.

Thx but not yet. Did the 3 day Loire Valley extension. Flight home is tomorrow. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From another thread with the permission of the author OneSixtytoOne. The thread is Paris and the Heart of Normandy Captured Our Hearts! Full Trip Report - Viking Rolf (which is full of great information as well and is well worth a visit). Thank you OneSixtytoOne for permission to share:

Originally posted by Sailboater30 Thank you for the information. You seem to be well versed in Paris. How many times have you been? This will be my first trip and my wife's second.Have you been on any other river cruise?

I’ve been to Paris 4 times, twice with Viking.

My previous cruises are in my signature.

We just returned from the Paris to the Swiss Alps cruise, which we did in the reverse direction. We also added the Switzerland pre cruise extension. It went from Geneva to Zermatt to Zurich and included a 1st class ride on the Glacier Express across Switzerland. It was an amazing extension. I highly recommend it.

I agree about getting the Museum Pass. It will allow you to use a different entrance and save time and money.

Another museum worth seeing is the Picasso Museum located in the Marais district. It located in an old mansion that was once own by the merchant that had rights to the royal salt monopoly.

http://www.museepicassoparis.fr/en/

When you are docked in Le Pecq you do a tour of St. Germain-en-laye that lies on the hill overlooking the port. The main church contains the tomb of James II, the leader of the Scottish Jacobite rebellion. He’s the exiled king that is portrayed in the TV series Outlander. I like to mention this because there are many fans of the show I’ve run into on cruises.

Since this is your first river cruise there is one more thing I’d like to mention. The Normandy trip is short on actual river cruising time and given the time of year, it will probably be too cold to use a balcony or go up on deck. You’ll spend a good deal of time docked at Rouen and use that as base camp for you exploration of Normandy.

It was an enjoyable trip for us, but we went in August when Monet’s gardens were open and there was an incredible nightly light and multi-media show projected on the Rouen cathedral. (Look it up online).

For a more typical river cruise experience, one that features the Rhine gorge and the beautiful castles is an ideal starter cruise. It is more reprenstative of what you’ll find on other cruises. If this cruise is to your liking you should explore one of those for your 2nd outing, preferably in the late spring or early summer or early fall.

Doing the Paris to Normandy next year....Going ahead and staying in Honfleur, so we can do D-Day beaches, Mont St. Michel, on our own....we have already done D-Day beaches and such, but our friends have not......What are anyone's suggestions on what to do when the cruise gets to Rouen?? Also glad we will not have 4 hrs in a bus to beaches......

Doing the Paris to Normandy next year....Going ahead and staying in Honfleur, so we can do D-Day beaches, Mont St. Michel, on our own....we have already done D-Day beaches and such, but our friends have not......What are anyone's suggestions on what to do when the cruise gets to Rouen?? Also glad we will not have 4 hrs in a bus to beaches......

We are doing the Viking Rinda, France's Finest in October. We plan to use our "free" day in Paris and travel by rail to Arras and taxi/uber to the Canadian War Memorial Site at Vimy Ridge. It does seem workable, but not sure of the train system and scheduling, but will let you know if it works.

Cheers for now....Rob:D;p:hearteyes:

Just so that no one is confused, it is a two hour bus ride each way to the beaches, so four hours total.

There is an included tour in Rouen as well:

STROLL THE CITY OF A HUNDRED SPIRES

Explore the medieval quarter of the cultural capital of Normandy. A short transfer with your guide delivers you to the historic city center. Known as the “Ville Aux Cent Clochers” or “City of a Hundred Spires,” Rouen’s most magnificent steeple rises from the Notre Dame Cathedral, a favorite subject of Claude Monet. Visit its breathtaking interior, burial place of Richard the Lionheart, English king and Norman duke. You will also pause to admire the ornate gold face of the Renaissance-style Gros Horloge Astronomical Clock. Admire the Bourgtheroulde Mansion and several beautiful half-timbered houses, and see the 14th-century abbey where Joan of Arc was sentenced to death and the Place du Vieux Marché, where she was burned at the stake. A statue of Joan marks the place of the pyre. At tour’s end, return to the ship at your leisure, a few blocks away on the beautiful Seine River.

Information about the Rhone and Seine cruises is spread over multiple threads and I am trying to direct readers (especially those who find this thread months from now and start reading) where to find interesting and helpful information about the cruises.

For those who want to know how the Lyon to Paris transfer works, read about it here in the "All Viking's Frances's Finest 2018" roll call starting at post number #79 (and then when you are done, go back and read the rest of the thread because it contains a lot of helpful information).

I'm also starting a list of other helpful threads and hope everyone will continue to add to it as time goes on. If you are adding to the list, simply copy and paste the most recent edition of the list into a new post and then add your link to the bottom of the list. Happy reading!

Coming up in another post, a list of relevant roll calls.

• Like 1

All Roll Calls for France's Finest, Paris & Normandy, Lyon & Provence:

I have included every roll call that I found for 2018 and 2019, in the order that I found them, even if it has already sailed. I searched back to October, 2017.

If I missed a roll call, please add it to the list. Just copy this list, start a new thread, past the list into and then add to the list.

Okay, here is my question.

For those of you who have been on the Viking France's Finest cruise, were you able to use your TA OBC on both legs of the cruise or must you use it on the first leg? It has been reported that Viking treats the legs as two different cruises once you are on board. For example, you can't buy the drink package for the entire cruise when you board--just the first leg.

Thanks,

Cynthia

The walking tour was good. It’s also an easy city to walk and dine at some great restaurants.

We stayed in Bayeux to do D-day & Mont St Michel. Unfortunately, only one Viking D-Day bus tour offers the Tapestry, reason enough for us to visit Bayeux.

Okay, here is my question.

For those of you who have been on the Viking France's Finest cruise, were you able to use your TA OBC on both legs of the cruise or must you use it on the first leg? It has been reported that Viking treats the legs as two different cruises once you are on board. For example, you can't buy the drink package for the entire cruise when you board--just the first leg.

Thanks,

Cynthia

Thought I'd answer my own question. The OBC from my TA (large on line cruise TA) is not refundable. She is getting back to me tomorrow but thinks part of the OBC can be applied to each of the cruises and I can say how much to each. I'm really glad I called or I would be required to use it all on the first one. It still doesn't help me book my optional tours ahead of time. I'll come back tomorrow when I know more.

Cynthia

Thought I'd answer my own question. The OBC from my TA (large on line cruise TA) is not refundable. She is getting back to me tomorrow but thinks part of the OBC can be applied to each of the cruises and I can say how much to each. I'm really glad I called or I would be required to use it all on the first one. It still doesn't help me book my optional tours ahead of time. I'll come back tomorrow when I know more.

Cynthia

Cynthia, gotta tell you that it just does NOT make sense to me that if you have booked a named itinerary that an OBC would not be available on both legs of the cruise. Have you spoken with the folks at TellUs@vikingcruises.com? I have found them much better at getting answers to the more difficult questions.

I also have to say that this is just another reason that I don't want OBCs; just give me the cash or take it off my cruise fare.