Bar hop in Cozumel

ranchette

Sea weed on the east side of island is pretty irrelevant because there are no beach stops there where you can swim.  The beach clubs sit back off water, or in the case of Coconuts, up on a rocky ledge overlooking water.  

this is the only spot where  you could walk out into water, but not far.  A little seaweed there.  Waves are really rough over there, and rocky beaches in spots. 

DSCF1165-XL.jpg

4 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Sea weed on the east side of island is pretty irrelevant because there are no beach stops there where you can swim.  The beach clubs sit back off water, or in the case of Coconuts, up on a rocky ledge overlooking water.  

this is the only spot where  you could walk out into water, but not far.  A little seaweed there.  Waves are really rough over there, and rocky beaches in spots. 

Thanks, swimming isn’t the issue.

We have been to the east side numerous times and are very familiar with all the locations for the Bar Hop, including the new stop at Chen Rio. We have also done a private tour a few years back when we stopped at one of our favorite stops (Rasta’s) and had to cut our tour short because the smell was so bad.

I agree I probably asked the question a little early as I know it is subject to change. I found your video (good review) and could tell it wasn’t bad on that day but was trying to get a feel for the season in general compared to last year. If it is bad, day after day after day this year, there are plenty of more pleasant places where I would prefer to spend the day.

We have personal reasons why July would be preferable but my instinct tells me December would be a better choice..

Edited by c-leg5

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks, swimming isn’t the issue.

We have been to the east side numerous times and are very familiar with all the locations for the Bar Hop, including the new stop at Chen Rio. We have also done a private tour a few years back when we stopped at one of our favorite stops (Rasta’s) and had to cut our tour short because the smell was so bad.

I agree I probably asked the question a little early as I know it is subject to change. I found your video (good review) and could tell it wasn’t bad on that day but was trying to get a feel for the season in general compared to last year. If it is bad, day after day after day this year, there are plenty of more pleasant places where I would prefer to spend the day.

We have personal reasons why July would be preferable but my instinct tells me December would be a better choice..

In general, the weather on Cozumel is better May-Oct, IMHO.  In Dec-Jan-Feb you are subject to passing "Nortes" which can be so windy they close all the ports to all small water craft, waves crashing like crazy, hard to stand when walking!  I have never been to the east side during that time, but I know how bad it gets on west side.  These storms are rare, but they do happen a few times every winter and can last a few days in a row.  The east side is already windy on calm days, so not sure if December is your best time to visit.  But as I said, these norte storms aren't every day.

3 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

In general, the weather on Cozumel is better May-Oct, IMHO.  In Dec-Jan-Feb you are subject to passing "Nortes" which can be so windy they close all the ports to all small water craft, waves crashing like crazy, hard to stand when walking!  I have never been to the east side during that time, but I know how bad it gets on west side.  These storms are rare, but they do happen a few times every winter and can last a few days in a row.  The east side is already windy on calm days, so not sure if December is your best time to visit.  But as I said, these norte storms aren't every day.

Thanks, something to consider. I have been on the west side during a norte but don't believe we have ever traveled east on one if those days. 

I don’t dive but from what I have read about El Nortes in the past is that it is often calmer on the east side when an El Norte comes through though  so it might actually be a better place to be!

Certainly a west side beach day isn't enjoyable during a norte and usually ends up as a day bar hopping in town! 

we just did the Bar Hop May 9th.  decent amount of seaweed but no smell.  had a strong onshore breeze that day.  definitely thought Coconuts had the best food.  Nachos at Rasta's were just greasy, but man that peanut butter tequila shot at Rasta's is awesome.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bstel said:

we just did the Bar Hop May 9th.  decent amount of seaweed but no smell.  had a strong onshore breeze that day.  definitely thought Coconuts had the best food.  Nachos at Rasta's were just greasy, but man that peanut butter tequila shot at Rasta's is awesome.

Thanks for the update on seaweed. At least on the bar hop each stop is not too long and there is a choice of places to sit. There is really only Rastas where we usually sit right next to the water. 

Was the peanut butter tequila their new shot or just something you tried? The Iguana is one of my favorites - hope they haven’t changed it, although I realize it probably isn’t everyones cup of tea!

15 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for the update on seaweed. At least on the bar hop each stop is not too long and there is a choice of places to sit. There is really only Rastas where we usually sit right next to the water. 

Was the peanut butter tequila their new shot or just something you tried? The Iguana is one of my favorites - hope they haven’t changed it, although I realize it probably isn’t everyones cup of tea!

The peanut butter shot is a special drink they have at Rastas, made by the owners daughter(?) or something like that we were told.  My hubby tried it, like a peanut butter cup, very sweet and thick.  Not my thing but he liked it.

here it is

DSCF1220-XL.jpg

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

The peanut butter shot is a special drink they have at Rastas, made by the owners daughter(?) or something like that we were told.  My hubby tried it, like a peanut butter cup, very sweet and thick.  Not my thing but he liked it.

here it is

DSCF1220-XL.jpg

Thanks for photo. I think I have heard of it before as being a specialty- was just hoping it wasn’t a replacement for the Bar Hop regular drink.

Peanut Butter is not my thing either but love the melon liqueur in the Iguana!

Bohemia is good too!

Edited by c-leg5

On 6/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, c-leg5 said:

i cant remember if it was the "free shot" or if i just tried it.  it was good though, very sweet, almost like a dessert shot.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bluecruisin said:

Can anyone please tell me the approx. cost of a Margarita  and for a beer at these places? Thanks!

Prices tend to be on the higher end - not crazy tourist resort high but certainly not budget prices for Cozumel. 

Keep in mind there is no mains electricity (therefore cash only) so everything requires generators.  

I will be going again next month and will try and report back of no one has any recent prices before then.