Rhine Cruise in May 2019 - AmaWaterways

Iamthesea

Is anyone familiar with the Rhine river cruises in May? We have done one AMAWaterways cruise and would like to take them again, but we do not know much about the Rhine cruises. Best direction, water levels in May, etc.?

We have relatives that were also talking about doing a Rhine & Wine River cruise on AMA that is sponsored by Disney (they are huge Disney fans.) Those cruises are in the Fall. I did a few comparisons and see that the Disney cruises are much higher. I told our relatives that they are higher because it is marketed by Disney. Also, some cruises may have children on them (Fall Break.)

They agreed and we decided to cruise together next Spring. :* I am in charge of all the research and bookings. I'm just not sure which cruise, or AMA ship to pick. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Here's how I research the trips: 1. Departure and arrival ports---are they easy to fly into. 2. Ship age: newer ones have more choices for room sizes and layouts as well as improved sailing features for the captain. 3. Excursions---read the fine print to see choices in each port. 4. Pick a date that correlates to your weather preference. I don't like hot weather, so I pick early spring or late fall.

I don't see any difference in direction whether up or down stream. The Rhine is a gorgeous river no matter what part you sail.

Since you are going with relatives, chose the date that works best for all. AMA books up quickly. You should make a decision ASAP. If you like the itinerary, just go for it. Don't overthink it. Doesn't matter which boat, I'm sure you'll be fine. How bad can it be? It's a cruise after all.

I booked on AMA for an April, 2019 Rhine Cruise in May this year. Cabin C for two dates were already gone. Only one Cabin B was left on my first choice date and it was by the elevator. Had to settle for my second choice date on an slightly older ship and had to go for a Cabin B which is slightly more expensive than the C category.

Bottom line, you may not have many choices left if you wait any longer.

Going downstream on the Rhine (Basel to Amsterdam) usually allows more time in docking locations because going downstream is faster than going upstream. If you compare the itineraries carefully you will find some differences. This can help you choose your direction.

Thanks so much for the responses! :)

Here's how I research the trips: 1. Departure and arrival ports---are they easy to fly into. 2. Ship age: newer ones have more choices for room sizes and layouts as well as improved sailing features for the captain. 3. Excursions---read the fine print to see choices in each port. 4. Pick a date that correlates to your weather preference. I don't like hot weather, so I pick early spring or late fall.

I don't see any difference in direction whether up or down stream. The Rhine is a gorgeous river no matter what part you sail.

Great tips!

I have not looked at the Spring itineraries, but the Fall cruises start and end in either Amsterdam or Basel. Wasn't sure if one was better than the other to start in. Amsterdam is easy enough to fly into. Never been to Switzerland. We would also do a few nights in Basel and/or someplace else in Switzerland. Since we have been in Amsterdam multiple times, we would probably only spend a night or two. Only because the relatives have never been there.

The other concern was water levels and if starting one place was better than another.

Since you are going with relatives, chose the date that works best for all. AMA books up quickly. You should make a decision ASAP. If you like the itinerary, just go for it. Don't overthink it. Doesn't matter which boat, I'm sure you'll be fine. How bad can it be? It's a cruise after all.

I booked on AMA for an April, 2019 Rhine Cruise in May this year. Cabin C for two dates were already gone. Only one Cabin B was left on my first choice date and it was by the elevator. Had to settle for my second choice date on an slightly older ship and had to go for a Cabin B which is slightly more expensive than the C category.

Bottom line, you may not have many choices left if you wait any longer.

All valid points and very helpful.

I had not thought of availability being a problem because we are so used to large cruise ships where we have booked way ahead, and last minute. In fact, our AMA river cruise (the only river cruise we have taken) was handed over to us just 8 days before we left for Paris to start the land/cruise vacation. The cruise left 5 days later. Long story, but we did not plan any of that trip so we did not know that the ships fill up so early. We were in a BB category. It was more than fine, but we would like to take a look at a level higher stateroom.

I have been on the Rhine and Moselle rivers before ( short, local transportation) and loved them. Research AMA Waterways options in May. We loved our AMA Danube Christmas Markets Cruise.

SeaWatch - We loved our Danube cruise, too! Not at Christmas though.

I guess I'd better get busy!!!

xmaser - Just saw your response. Excellent!

Going downstream on the Rhine (Basel to Amsterdam) usually allows more time in docking locations because going downstream is faster than going upstream. If you compare the itineraries carefully you will find some differences. This can help you choose your direction.

OTOH going upstream on the Rhine gives you slightly more time going past the Rhine Castles. The commentary can barely keep up with the profusion of sites, so a little more time is valuable!