Barcelona

how close to the port is the city of Barcelona? We will be there on a Sunday any suggestions on what to do on a quiet Sunday.

The port is very close to the city of Barcelona. SOME people even walk from the ships to start their sightseeing, however, that requires walking up over a long bridge (maybe 3/4 to a mile, depending on where your ship docks) and it's not the most common way to enter the city. Most will take a taxi (plentiful) or plan some other form of transit.

Barcelona is a large, touristy city. I'm not sure I would say Sundays will be quiet.

Most people would probably suggest seeing the Sagrada Familia Cathedral (an architectural phenomenon by Gaudi) would be #1 thing to do. Others include exploring Parc Guell (also a Gaudi feature), exploring Mont Juic, walking Las Ramblas, The Gothic quarter. There is a great Picasso museum.

I highly suggest an audio tour of the Sagrada Familia. We were just there earlier this month. We didn't do the towers (heard from others that they were passable). You should do this online in advance. We took the blue port shuttle bus to the Columbus monument (4 Euro round trip which you pay on the bus) and then took the metro (on La Rambla a short walk from there) to the Sagrada stop (2.80 Euro for Metro or you can get other tickets for more trips). It was an amazing tour!