Fishing Excursions

TTU cruiser

I'm looking at the NCL Bliss for June of 2019 and am interested in a fishing excursion. Has anyone done one of these through the ship? How was your experience? All of my past cruises were to the Caribbean, and fishing excursions there involve a single fighting chair with everyone sharing time in the chair. If a fish bites while you're in the chair, it's yours to fight, but if you aren't in the chair you're out of luck. This is mostly due to the trolling style of fishing for pelagic fish in the Caribbean.

Will the experience in Alaska be similar, or will each person be able to use their own fishing pole? Also, has anyone taken advantage of the guide service packaging your fish and shipping it home? How expensive was it, and was the meat well packaged and should I have it sent to a relative to ensure it doesn't arrive and spoil before I get home?

you might want to look at the city's web site for information on sports fishing and vendors.

https://visit-ketchikan.com/en/Things-To-Do/Sportfishing-and-Guiding

The guys in my family do their annual fishing trip in June, but since we live in the Seattle area, they just have the fish cleaned, flash frozen, and bring it home as extra luggage on Alaska Airlines. You would have yours prepared, then Fed X'd to your home at a date of your choosing. I think it's around $2 per lb for the cleaning/freezing/pkg. Any of the vendors can give you that cost.

Last I fished in Alaska, for halibut it was everyone had their own rod and jigged. Catching a halibut isn’t so much of a fight as it is like dragging the barn door up from the bottom of the ocean. The big ones, the shoot with a gun at the surface before they bring them on the boat. Of all the times either me or my dad have been, we’ve only caught a few over 100 lbs.

For salmon, same sort of deal if you’re in the ocean and not a river. About the biggest salmon you’ll see are in the 25 lb range. We have taken our own gear and never had a problem (kenai area though).

Never gone fishing on a cruise, but we’ve done the packagers who vacuum pack and ship and those are excellent. Fish beat us home and they were still deep frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As per the regulations on this board, I am not recommending any excursion...however, I would urge you to check out the fishing excursion in Ketchikan with Baranoff. We did NOT go fishing in Ketchikan, however, in our touring while in Ketchikan, we went up to the Fox Lodge Inn and we ended up in conversation with a couple that had been staying in Ketchikan for the week. They had gone fishing with Baranoff and didn't have anything but praise for their fishing outing with them.

Therefore...I would suggest that you look into this outfit and see what you can learn about them.

You've got a bit of a learning curve with fishing in Alaska. We sailed this past June and did fished both on our own and with a guide. Just a simple search will yield how the salmon fishing is dependent on the salmon runs. There are 5 different types of salmon and there are at least 5 different salmon runs, at least one for each type. Sometimes, there is more than one run per type if the fisheries enter the picture and do what they do to supplement the "natural" population. Regulations vary greatly by season and location so you need to really be up on what you are doing, especially if you are on your own.

There's nothing quite like fishing in Alaska if that is a "dream" thing to do. It was for my DH and so we had a great time, but it wasn't a simple thing to figure out. Like I said, it takes bit to understand what salmon is running when and where and what regulations are in place that would make salmon fishing better in one locale over another.

Having personally talked with someone that recommended the Baranof outfit in Ketchikan to us, and hearing their story first hand, I am confident in saying "Look them up."

Best of luck to you! Alaska is incredible and fishing there is, to quote my DH "something else".