Coastal Kitchen on Harmony (should I be frustrated or not ?)

Hi everyone,

I recently returned from Harmony of the Seas, and my family of 4 books (2) cabins - One a Junior Suite for my wife & I, and the other a Central Park Balcony for 2 boys, ages 18 & 15. We put one adult in each room, partnered with a child (because kids under 21 cannot have their own stateroom unless directly adjoining to the the parents room). So.... during our cruise I was declined reservations for dinner (yes I know Jr Suites only get dinner privileges) for my family of 4 because all travelers were not booked in a junior suite. I complained to the Coastal Kitchen manager, but she stated "we have a very strict policy to only allow suite guests to dine @ Coastal Kitchen"... really ?? We are a family of 4 !! Am I over reacting to her response or should I have the right to be disappointed with Royal?? -

BTW We are all Diamond members, and have been allowed to dine @ Coastal on other ships when booking the same format as described above (Anthem just last year)... Interested in the communities thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Only for JS. I'm sure otherwise a family party of 12 with one JS would try to get a table.

My boys love staying behind and getting room service, they get tired of long dinners after awhile.

Contrary to the "popular" point of view, i would agree with you for being disappointed. From a customer service perspective I would believe that the Coastal Kitchen manager should have complied with your request at least for a dinner or 2. I do think every night would be pushing it. Always those special requests depend on your attitude when asking, but i for one don't think you were pushing the of a special request.

Being a loyal customer should have its rewards, I know it has for me with Airlines, Hotel Chains, and other repeat land based resorts. I also perceive from reading this board and one or 2 experiences, this does not seem to be the case with RCI. I no longer expect to be treated better.

There have also been reports that sometimes even those in A JS have not been allowed or have been limited in how often they can dine. It all depends on the ship but I would not expect that non suite guests get to use suite guest privileges, family or not. If it happens and they allow it great, take that as a bonus but not an expectation.

YES, I do thing that you are overreacting.

Junior Suites are on an iffy basis. When you water that down by adding a non-suite you have stepped outside the JS dining for dinner in CK situation..

Had you booked two Junior Suites you would have had more CK dining power. You chose a cheaper alternative and didn’t get what you wanted from CK and understandably so.

If you were able to work that combo on another ship, so be it, be thankful. Don’t count on all ships doing that for you.

We want our family to be able to use the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen....to ensure this we booked them a Grand Suite.

Coastal Kitchen has a significantly higher budget for food, preparation and service than the complementary dining locations on the ship. In that regard, it is like a specialty restaurant such as Chops or Izumi. However, the extra cost is worked into the cruise fare for suites, rather than billed directly to the diner the way that the cost of Chops or Izumi are. Since the sons of the OP were not in suites, the cost of CK was not part of the cruise fare that the OP paid for them. Therefore, IMHO, it is no more reasonable to expect them to be able to dine at CK without charge than it would be to expect them to be able to dine at Chops without charge. Perhaps, CK should have a procedure for charging for guests but it would probably cost as much as a specialty restaurant and have to be subject to availability of remaining tables after all suite and Pinnacle guests were accommodated.

Being a loyal customer should have its rewards, I know it has for me with Airlines, Hotel Chains, and other repeat land based resorts. I also perceive from reading this board and one or 2 experiences, this does not seem to be the case with RCI. I no longer expect to be treated better.

Being a loyal customer does have its rewards and the RCI diamond club is a facility that few other cruise lines can match. However, even with airlines and hotels, the really "special" consideration is reserved for the top tier of the loyalty program: United Airlines Global Services, Hilton Honors Diamond, etc. For RCI, that top tier is the Pinnacle Club and Pinnacles can dine at CK without being in a suite.

We always book a Grand Suite for all of the perks and pay dearly for the cabin. A pet peeve of mine is when someone wants suite perks and don't pay for them. If the OP wanted his family of 4 to dine in CK, then book 2 JS; otherwise, dine in the MDR.

A pet peeve of mine is when someone wants suite perks and don't pay for them.

Just out of curiosity, are you peeved when the person who wants (and receives) suite perks and doesn't pay for them (on that particular cruise) is a Pinnacle?

It's fair to ask. But the rules as stated are that Coastal Kitchen is exclusive for GS and above and JS for dinner if there's availability. You asked, the answer was no. Fair enough. By the way, you actually need to get your wife to ask as you are in a balcony and not eligible for Coastal Kitchen. But try another day. Go up and ask for that night. You never know. But don't get frustrated if they are actually following the rules.

Sailed Oasis in a JS many times prior to PC. Never got turned down, once I had to take a slot at a different time and once we invited guests.

You might want to ask if there is a time other than your request that may be available.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I think you are expecting too much. If you ask and receive something you are not entitled to, great. If you ask and don’t receive something you are clearly not entitled to, then I suggest you accept it. Someone else suggested it be unreasonable for a GS guest to invite non suite guests to CK and complain if they were not allowed. The higher budget of CJ had been referenced.

I am not a fan of the RCI cheerleaders and trolls on here of which there are many! BUT, I do have to tell you that we too pay dearly for a GS to have this privilege and I would be very angry if they could not accommodate us at a specific time (early for us) b/c people who are not in suites or pinnacle are also dining. You should have booked two JS.

I have asked if they can allow my parents and in laws to be in Barefoot Beach with us and this was allowed but we did not displace any other suite guests. Unfortunately (or fortunately), Coastal Kitchen is a small venue so their leeway in accommodating you is limited.

Hi everyone,

I recently returned from Harmony of the Seas, and my family of 4 books (2) cabins - One a Junior Suite for my wife & I, and the other a Central Park Balcony for 2 boys, ages 18 & 15. We put one adult in each room, partnered with a child (because kids under 21 cannot have their own stateroom unless directly adjoining to the the parents room). So.... during our cruise I was declined reservations for dinner (yes I know Jr Suites only get dinner privileges) for my family of 4 because all travelers were not booked in a junior suite. I complained to the Coastal Kitchen manager, but she stated "we have a very strict policy to only allow suite guests to dine @ Coastal Kitchen"... really ?? We are a family of 4 !! Am I over reacting to her response or should I have the right to be disappointed with Royal?? -

BTW We are all Diamond members, and have been allowed to dine @ Coastal on other ships when booking the same format as described above (Anthem just last year)... Interested in the communities thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Harmony and Anthem really are different when it comes to Coastal Kitchen. :)

Diamond status as a rule doesn’t give you access to Coastal Kitchen, they may make an exception but it is for suite guests and Pinnacles.

If it was a perk you were so concerned about you should have booked two JR suites. The perk is for those staying in a suite and with limited seating people who have paid that price deserve to be able to dine there and not be displaced by non suite guests of guests. There are rules in place for a reason, it’s a special venue for guests that have paid for it. No different than non diamond friends of Diamond and above aren’t allowed in the Diamond lounge, or jr suites aren’t allowed on the suite deck or suite lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Diamond status as a rule doesn’t give you access to Coastal Kitchen, they may make an exception but it is for suite guests and Pinnacles.

If it was a perk you were so concerned about you should have booked two JR suites. The perk is for those staying in a suite and with limited seating people who have paid that price deserve to be able to dine there and not be displaced by non suite guests of guests. There are rules in place for a reason, it’s a special venue for guests that have paid for it. No different than non diamond friends of Diamond and above aren’t allowed in the Diamond lounge, or jr suites aren’t allowed on the suite deck or suite lounge.

I don't think that that is why he mentioned being Diamond. That was just a "they don't value loyal customers" comment, I believe.

I don't think that that is why he mentioned being Diamond. That was just a "they don't value loyal customers" comment, I believe.

OP’s final paragraph states they are Diamond and have been allowed to use Coastal kitchen on other ships as Diamond.

That is why I pointed out that’s not a standard practice, not that I misread what they were saying.

No harm in asking but if the answer is no, then there is no reason to be frustrated. If eating in CK is important then I would book a full suite and get all family members to share in order to have access to suite benefits.

Harmony and Anthem really are different when it comes to Coastal Kitchen. :)

Will you elaborate? I sail Oasis often and have an opportunity to enjoy CK but will be sailing harmony when she comes to Port Canaveral.

Thanks

M.

Will you elaborate? I sail Oasis often and have an opportunity to enjoy CK but will be sailing harmony when she comes to Port Canaveral.

Thanks

M.

Anthem doesn't do the free wine and beer since it doesn't have the SL attached.

She also may not have the expanded lunch menu you are used to on Oasis.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To the OP, do you think they would have allowed you and your spouse to dine in CK one night as the 2 guests even though only one was in a JS? We have one JS and one inside room for our 18 and 16 year old next year on Ovation. But of course we had to book it with the adults split between the rooms. I was planning on asking on board if I can make a dinner reservation for two people one night at CK and bring my husband rather than my daughter. I’m not expecting it, but it would be nice to see what CK is like for one night.

Just out of curiosity, are you peeved when the person who wants (and receives) suite perks and doesn't pay for them (on that particular cruise) is a Pinnacle?

No, I should have further explained my opinion and correct me if I'm wrong, RCCL policy is that Pinnacle members are permitted to enjoy CK and the Suite Lounge. My problem is with non-Pinnacle and non-suite guests expecting perks that are not included in their C&A status or cabin category. I am loyal to RCCL and am Diamond+.