Caves in Bermuda

Bh8063

IMHO, there is no need to take a tour, independent or cruise line,. to the caves because getting to the caves is so easy. There are 2 ways of getting to them:

Take the ferry to Hamilton and walk to the bus terminal on Church St. Board a route #s 1,3,10, or 11 bus, As you board, tell the bus driver your destination, Or you cold take a taxi instead of the bus. There is a taxi stand to the right of the ferry terminal on Front St.

OR

Take the ferry to St George's and walk to the bus stop on York St. Board an inbound route #s 1,3,10, or 11 bus, As you board, tell the bus driver your destination, Or, you cold take a taxi instead of the bus. There may be taxis waiting near the ferry dock otherwise walk to King's Square for one.

SBtS

• Like 1

You don't need a tour. A guide takes you down into the caves .

Since you're on the Escape. you can take the free NCL ferry to St. George and then a #1,3,10 or 11 bus to the caves. If the timing of the free NCL ferry to St. George doesn't meet your needs, or the ferry fills up, you can take the public ferry instead, followed by one of the buses.

Alternatively you can take the public ferry to Hamilton and then one of the above buses to the caves,

You don't need a tour. A guide takes you down into the caves .

Since you're on the Escape. you can take the free NCL ferry to St. George and then a #1,3,10 or 11 bus to the caves. If the timing of the free NCL ferry to St. George doesn't meet your needs, or the ferry fills up, you can take the public ferry instead, followed by one of the buses.

Alternatively you can take the public ferry to Hamilton and then one of the above buses to the caves,

How much time to allow for caves?

How are the caves for children? Are there a lot of steps or walking involved, and if so, how strenuous? Thanks!

Yes there are a lot of steps. I believe it's about 88 steps down, and back up again, in Crystal Cave, not sure but probably similar in Fantasy Cave, with walking on walkways once you're in the cave(s). The stairs can be damp and slippery so rubber soled shoes are recommended. Children can certainly visit the caves, but only you know whether those conditions are right for your children .

Yes there are a lot of steps. I believe it's about 88 steps down, and back up again, in Crystal Cave, not sure but probably similar in Fantasy Cave, with walking on walkways once you're in the cave(s). The stairs can be damp and slippery so rubber soled shoes are recommended. Children can certainly visit the caves, but only you know whether those conditions are right for your children .

Thank you!

We were considering the caves, until I read a review that pretty much says what you say. Being older, I just don't want to risk the slippery steps and made the decision to skip it..

Have you ever toured the caves in Bermuda? Is there an independent tour operator that will pick us up at the pier? Sailing in August on NCL Escape. August 19th.

My wife booked a tour from HAL ,it was great .However,most of the people that she met there arrived on their own,no tour.

• 2 months later...
Hello ~ are the caves really narrow and confining? If we take the ferry from Kings Wharf, is it necessary to take a bus or is it within walking distance for those of us who like to walk?

Thank you.

The caves are not within walking distance of the ferry. You must take a bus or taxi from the ferry terminals to the caves.

The caves themselves are not narrow or confining but the stairways you must take down and back up are narrow as are the stairway steps. There are many steps, never counted them but the number has been said to be 88 steps.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Max and Ruby said:

If you only had time for 1 of the caves... Crystal or Fantasy, which would be recommended?

Thanks!

In my opinion Crystal. It has a crystal clear lake. It has more beautiful formations than Fantasy. 

Edited by Charles4515

• 1 month later...

We'll be in Bermuda for one day this summer from 8-4...  how long does the ferry/bus take to get to the caves?  I'm thinking of taking the orange route up to St. George's and then a bus down to the caves.  I'd like to hit the caves and then the beach for a couple hours... maybe Tobacco Bay, but I'm thinking it might be a bit tight?  It looks like maybe an hour to the caves, an hour'ish at the caves, then an hour to get back to the ship or head into town for lunch?  Oh - and there's 10 of us, so I better add on an extra 15-20 minutes for each leg of the journey (someone always forgets something or one of the kids decides they have to go to the bathroom after we've left the bathroom area!  lol)

We'll be in Bermuda for one day this summer from 8-4...  how long does the ferry/bus take to get to the caves?  I'm thinking of taking the orange route up to St. George's and then a bus down to the caves.  I'd like to hit the caves and then the beach for a couple hours... maybe Tobacco Bay, but I'm thinking it might be a bit tight?  It looks like maybe an hour to the caves, an hour'ish at the caves, then an hour to get back to the ship or head into town for lunch?  Oh - and there's 10 of us, so I better add on an extra 15-20 minutes for each leg of the journey (someone always forgets something or one of the kids decides they have to go to the bathroom after we've left the bathroom area!  lol)

Will you be there on a weekday or a weekend? Orange route does not run on the weekend.

You can do it but on a one day, 8-4 day I would not do the caves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1