Crime in Barcelona

judla

Nowadays I need to use a cane or hiking poles to get around. When I was fully mobile, I often travelled solo and took the usual precautions and was fine. But now I figure I’ll be a particularly tempting target. Being pickpocketed is not my fear, as I’ll still carry the minimum cash etc and have it protected- but I am concerned about being jostled or knocked down in a pickpocketing attempt, and my husband and I are trying to figure out how to cope with that scenario, and how to lesson the chances of being rough handled, an experience which was told by a poster in the thread asking if anyone had been pickpocketed..

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions..

I don’t think you need to worry about being knocked down or jostled. Almost all the attempts on tourists are by using distraction. If they bump into you it’s to desensitize you to be bumped but it’s nothing rough.

Thanks. That’s what I thought, until I read this on the other thread:

“A friend was cautious when sightseeing, zippered pockets, no jewelry. In the Gothic area, someone kneed the back of his leg and he fell, they stole a cheap wristwatch off his wrist. He hurt his elbow and hip in the fall. It can happen to anyone in so many different ways.”

Imo, what badtwin says is not an excellent post at all; it doesn't say it all at all. He/she fails to take into account what the effects of "jostling" can do to an elderly or impaired human being. My husband is 89, and if what happened to us several decades ago happened to us now, it would likely be a very serious situation.

I have cancelled our pre-cruise stay in Barcelona, as much as we enjoyed many aspects of the city: just not worth the danger to him (and I ain't so young myself).

Imo, what badtwin says is not an excellent post at all; it doesn't say it all at all. He/she fails to take into account what the effects of "jostling" can do to an elderly or impaired human being. My husband is 89, and if what happened to us several decades ago happened to us now, it would likely be a very serious situation.

I have cancelled our pre-cruise stay in Barcelona, as much as we enjoyed many aspects of the city: just not worth the danger to him (and I ain't so young myself).

Everyone needs to do what makes then feel most comfortable. As for me, I’m not anywhere near even a small thought of cancelling; I’m just expressing a particular concern that you and I share. I know the damage that a rough jostle would have the potential to cause me, so can relate to your worries re someone who is close to 90.

badtwin's post was about pickpocketing, not jostling.

My own parents are 91 and 86; I certainly can understand your concerns about fragility. (They loved to travel and continued to do so up until about 4 years ago....)

Again, my agreement was regarding the need to be vigilant against pickpockets but not to live in fear that they will "get you" given reasonable preparation and alertness.

I would caution you that crowds are nearly everywhere one travels now in Europe -- large cities or small towns -- that attracts any level of tourism. Rome's streets were almost unendurably crowded in May, as were Taormina and Sorrento, but so were smaller spots such as Trogir and Lecce. There's no way I'd visit these spots in the height of the summer season now....

Good luck with your own travel adventures.

Do you actually think you can spot evidence of a pickpocket? Anyone of the people in your snaps could be a professional pickpocket. What do you think they wear a T-shirt emblazoned with I’m a Pickpocket? The guys in Barcelona who tried it on us were very well dressed and well groomed.
Yes you can see evidence of pickpockets as we did when touring in a group in 2014 for a month. You can see people skirting groups of tourists looking for a mark and how they often work in groups making signs to each other. My main point is when travelling independently don't advertise yourself as a tourist by clutching your belongings to yourself and stay confident.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

Excellent post -- says it all.

We should be aware but not afraid.

Yes exactly what I was saying. My partner and I are in our 60s and had a great couple of days in Barcelona last week including several jaunts down the Ramblas in the day and at night plus visiting the Boqueria. Be sensible, aware of your surroundings but don't fall into the trap of being a nervous nelly and drawing the wrong kind of attention to you.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk