Halibut Recommendation

Rode Warrior

Going on a cruise next summer, and plan on staying over a few days at the end of the cruise (disembarking in Seward) to do some fishing and sight seeing. What is the best port/area for halibut? I am willing to "go the extra mile" to find the best fishing. That being said, I can't go out to Dutch Harbor, which is what I would really like to do. :-)

Homer bills itself as the Halibut Fishing Capital of the World, as the sign says:

http://www.homeralaska.org/fishing-in-homer.html

I don't fish but whenever I've been in Seward there always charter boats coming back with halibut.

Spend a couple of nights in both towns ! They're only 4 hrs apart. Great scenery in between.

Maybe the Alaska F&G can provide info for you: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishingReports/

I would also ask on the Alaska forum of tripadvisor …. quite a few locals on there.

Homer bills itself as the Halibut Fishing Capital of the World, as the sign says:

http://www.homeralaska.org/fishing-in-homer.html

I don't fish but whenever I've been in Seward there always charter boats coming back with halibut.

Spend a couple of nights in both towns ! They're only 4 hrs apart. Great scenery in between.

Maybe the Alaska F&G can provide info for you: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishingReports/

I would also ask on the Alaska forum of tripadvisor …. quite a few locals on there.

We did it out of Homer on a full day head boat trip. We caught our limit. However, when you add the processing fee and the cost to ship it home, it was the most expensive fish I have ever eaten. Tasted great however.

DON

Since you're fishing after your cruise, you could bring fish on your flight, (We saw a guy at airport doing just that) My husband fished in Homer before our cruise (he used Russell Fishing Company) He and fishing partner both caught halibut limit. Partner also caught a salmon. I'm not sure what fish weighed but they yielded 22 lbs. and processing and shipping will be about $220. Good luck.

Since you're fishing after your cruise, you could bring fish on your flight, (We saw a guy at airport doing just that) My husband fished in Homer before our cruise (he used Russell Fishing Company) He and fishing partner both caught halibut limit. Partner also caught a salmon. I'm not sure what fish weighed but they yielded 22 lbs. and processing and shipping will be about $220. Good luck.

Agree on flying it home. I lived in AK and when I flew home to MN I actually shipped my clothes (no ice, no demanding next-day, etc), or did a carry on bag of clothes - and flew with my fish frozen in a rubber tote from Homer Depot secured with duct tape. You can get your fish frozen at the fish lockers in Seward or Homer, or pack with ice. The totes handle 50#'s just fine.

.Have been fishing in Alaska for over 20 yrs. and always bring my fish home frozen and vacuum sealed packed in fish boxes checked in as luggage. You are not allowed to include dry ice or ice.Bring home 100 to 150# at 50# max per box. At $25 per box is the most economical way to transport home.Seems like there are more boxes of fish checked in then there is luggage.Just got back after 6 weeks of fishing and am enjoying every bit of it !!!