just starting research...

poorsusan

We are thinking a Panama Canal cruise for the fall of 2019. I see there are all kinds of information available...but where should I start? LOL. I am looking for some input from those who have done this cruise. Thanks...

To begin with a few things need to be addressed

Where do you want to start and finish

Full canal transit or partial transit

a stop in panana city if available

old locks or new ( most will continue through old locks)

what time of year

cruise line ( n0t as important )

other ports along the way

The Canal season generally starts some time in September with ships relocating from the Alaskan market back to the Caribbean. You should be able to find a few cruises offered by Celebrity, Princess, HAL, NCL, you can start with those and see if there is anything that fits your needs. As you move into later fall (Nov-Dec) you may see another couple of cruise lines have some Canal offerings.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your insight on the Panama Canal cruise. My husband and I have decided on a partial transit Panama Canal cruise for September of 2020. I can hardly contain my excitement as I do my research and wait for the sailing dates for September 2020 to appear.

Thank you for your insight on the Panama Canal cruise. My husband and I have decided on a partial transit Panama Canal cruise for September of 2020. I can hardly contain my excitement as I do my research and wait for the sailing dates for September 2020 to appear.

We too are looking at a fall Panama canal cruise. Trying to find more details about the best cruise line to take. We live in Texas so Galveston of course is the best option, but not limiting to us.

We are taking the CoralPrincess out of LA in September 2019. We usually cruise the Caribbean on Carnival so ALL of this is new to me. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

We sailed on the Coral Princess for Alaska cruise. Very happy with Princess cruise lines and Coral Princess.

Jerri

We would like to go on a Panama Canal cruise. May I please ask why you chose the partial transit over the other? We are trying to make that decision as well.

Thanks in advance.

We've done the canal twice, from FLL to LAX and I would do it a third time.

If you really want to get a lot out of your voyage, try to read The Path Between the Seas before you go. I didn't the first time. Did the second time.

I believe with a partial you only get to Gatun Lake. For me, it was all about going through the locks and I wanted to do them all.

On our second time, one of our stops was Hualtuco. If you want some beach time, this is the place. Lovely beach with restaurants right next to the pier. Loved it and hated going back to the ship.

Our excursion in Nicaragua gave us our first chance to see lava. For us that was very exciting.

One reason people go east to west is that you pick up an hour through each time zone. Going eastbound you lose an hour.

Hope this helps

Full transits are at least 14 days. Partial transits are usually Caribbean cruises and can be as short as 9 days, but usually are 10 days. The exception is a partial transit on Coral or Island Princess that leaves from LA and transits from the Pacific side, spending a night in Gatun Lake. But you really should take a cruise that involves the old locks - there are lines now offering partial transits using the new locks and while fascination, not nearly as interesting/enthralling as the old locks. EM

We would like to go on a Panama Canal cruise. May I please ask why you chose the partial transit over the other? We are trying to make that decision as well.

Thanks in advance.

I think one of the biggest reasons people choose a partial over a full is the amount of time it takes to do a partial transit. Just about all of the partials only require 10 or 11 days, a key figure for those who don't have an abundance of vacation time. Another reason is convenience, all most all partials are round trip cruises out of Florida. This simplifies transportation to and from the port, no need for open jaw airline tickets and it also permits more cruisers to drive to the port.

Surprisingly cost is not usually a factor, often times there is very little difference in cruise fare between a full transit and the partial. There are no savings in tolls for the ship as it will pay the same amount in tolls whether it sails all the way through or just pokes the bow into the Canal! The last 10 day full transit cruise, other than some $maller boutique cruise lines, was offered by Princess a few years back. They did a 10 day full transit between Florida and Acapulco.

While most would recommend the full transit over the partial (and I would too), both cruises are well worth it. The good thing is you can certainly take the cruises in any order, each cruise will build on the other.

A partial gives a pretty good overview of the canal....the navigator onboard gives a running commentary of the canal and it's operation during your transit into Lake Gatun.

We chose the partial because we didn't have to fly "cross country" at any point. Look at what other port stops you will have on a partial transit.

What are things that those who have done the full like to do ..? i.e. in the common ports etc just asking for general ideas

As mentioned above, we went to the beach in Hualtulco and took a ship's excursion in Nicaragua to a park that had an active volcano. Puerto Vallarta we went to the beach.

Most people like visiting the Old Town in Caracas. In Aruba, some people take a tour, others wander around town and some go to the beach.

To be honest, for us the whole purpose is the Canal. I don't find the Mexico POC very interesting.

We are taking a full Canal cruise in January 2019. It is our first cruise ever! We are so darn excited!

I am working on our excursions and dinner packages now.

So much to choose. It's like being a kid in a candy shop.

I plan on posting a ton of photos.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

Which cruise line and ship are you going on?

We are also cruising from LA to NYC via the Panama Canal - its our first time around this area and I am also doing as much research as I can. We are sailing the NCL Gem on 27th Jan. We have quite a few new ports for us so we are looking for ideas of things to do. Any ideas welcomed.

Thank you

H

We are thinking a Panama Canal cruise for the fall of 2019. I see there are all kinds of information available...but where should I start? LOL. I am looking for some input from those who have done this cruise. Thanks...

We did a partial transit ,big mistake .I recommend a full transit.

Looking at Princess and Carnival for the following three destinations

1. Alaska

2. Panama canal

3. Hawaii

That's why I love Cruise critic is for all of the differing experiences and opinions that I can take and help plan :halo:

Ive done all three on Princess and would be happy to try and answer any questions you have.

Looking at Princess and Carnival for the following three destinations

1. Alaska

2. Panama canal

3. Hawaii

That's why I love Cruise critic is for all of the differing experiences and opinions that I can take and help plan :halo:

Fyi, longer sailings on Carnival and Princess will garner some nice OBC if you own 100 shares or more of stock in Carnival Corp. (CCL). Also applies to HAL, Seybourne, Aida, etc.

We did a partial transit on Coral Princess 12 years ago and have now booked a 16 day full transit from Miami to San Diego on Jewel of the Seas in February. My most vivid memories of our partial transit was how hot it was at 6:30am when we started through the locks. I’ll be better prepared this time.