Strategy for booking excursions

justin c

On 12/3/2018 at 6:37 AM, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Another tip on what excursions are available...if you read what the website has as far as excursions...they may well be different than what you will see when they post them for you. We carefully studied what we wanted from the website, then were totally disappointed when we saw ones we were planning on were not offered! 

Thank you. I did wonder about this possibility. 

On 12/2/2018 at 3:07 PM, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Another tip on what excursions are available...if you read what the website has as far as excursions...they may well be different than what you will see when they post them for you. We carefully studied what we wanted from the website, then were totally disappointed when we saw ones we were planning on were not offered! 

That happened to us.  I really wanted to do the Kitchen Table while in Italy and not a single one was offered the entire cruise.  Plus, the highlight of the cruise would have been a day trip to the Almalfi coast but we weren't in port long enough.  All the more reason for another trip.

2 hours ago, Marykatesmom said:

That happened to us.  I really wanted to do the Kitchen Table while in Italy and not a single one was offered the entire cruise.  Plus, the highlight of the cruise would have been a day trip to the Almalfi coast but we weren't in port long enough.  All the more reason for another trip.

We did the Kitchen Table on our recent trip and thought it was wonderful!  There were only six of us. Went to the market in Muscat, Oman and Chef bought a large yellow fin tuna and then later he cooked us a great meal.

It’s a bit pricey;  I think about $250 pp.  The availability seems to depend on a minimum number of guests booking and the Executive Chef’s schedule.  I think it was only offered two or three times in the eight weeks we were on board.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:16 PM, BruceLovesSailing said:

You’ll need to keep checking MVJ yourself. 

Be aware, if you used a TA, some communication will go through them. 

Also, if you booked Air through Viking, your flight information should be showing on MVJ soon. 

Enjoy your Viking experience. 

Today is 116 and excursions are posted in MVJ this morning. I’ve just quickly scanned but so far seems pretty much the same as the ones shown on the itinerary pages.  A few new ones and the Kitchen Table is offered once. 

3 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Today is 116 and excursions are posted in MVJ this morning. I’ve just quickly scanned but so far seems pretty much the same as the ones shown on the itinerary pages.  A few new ones and the Kitchen Table is offered once. 

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't logged in yet.....today.....

It is nice to know that private tours are comparably priced if the Viking organized ones fill up by the time we get to book.

My husband just found out The Masters will be happening while we're gone, so now I have to make sure our post-cruise hotel has a station which will carry it

Robin

2 hours ago, acwmom said:

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't logged in yet.....today.....

It is nice to know that private tours are comparably priced if the Viking organized ones fill up by the time we get to book.

My husband just found out The Masters will be happening while we're gone, so now I have to make sure our post-cruise hotel has a station which will carry it

Robin

Hey Robin, I'm a real early riser and have been checking each morning since the 120 day marker.  Prices do look comparable so I'm not too worried at this point, but we cannot book until day 67.   I think we are going to do 4 included and 3 optional so hopefully we will get what we are interested in.  We are golf fans also and hate that we are missing the Masters, our favorite Major.  We will be going to Ljubljana for a few days so will hopefully be able to get the last 2 days at our hotel there also.  Let's keep in touch on our Roll Call.  I'll post something in the next few days.

Super excited today to find that excursions for our first Alaska cruise dept on May 26 have now posted. I had already booked four independent excursions anyway, with eg Michelle of Island wings, and found that booking independently has saved us some very significant dollars ($300 alone for a heli excursion) so it really pays to do your own research.

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, ldgoss said:

Can you cancel a paid excursion if you change your mind after booking?

Oh yes.  We did it on the last cruise.  It was after we booked and then found a group going from the ship with a little more included that we would have had to figure out how to make it happen and line up with ship excursion.  We cancelled and within a few days our card was credited at the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much everyone, these posts are very helpful.  I would be interested to know if Viking allows you to cancel an excursion you've paid for and refunds the cost.

DH and I are first time ocean cruisers after taking a Viking Christmas Market cruise on the Rhine two years ago.  We'll be on Majestic Fjords & Vibrant Cities this summer and I have been researching the options in each port.  Looks like I still have some reading and watching to do.

2 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

Thanks so much everyone, these posts are very helpful.  I would be interested to know if Viking allows you to cancel an excursion you've paid for and refunds the cost.

DH and I are first time ocean cruisers after taking a Viking Christmas Market cruise on the Rhine two years ago.  We'll be on Majestic Fjords & Vibrant Cities this summer and I have been researching the options in each port.  Looks like I still have some reading and watching to do.

Yes, had the experience.  Changed our mind and went with another company.  Cancelled after V cabins could book but still about a month out.  Others have mentioned that it took a while to get refund.  Don't know if it makes a difference if you deal with a TA but I deal direct with Viking and it just took a few days to see it credited on my account

6 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

Yes, had the experience.  Changed our mind and went with another company.  Cancelled after V cabins could book but still about a month out.  Others have mentioned that it took a while to get refund.  Don't know if it makes a difference if you deal with a TA but I deal direct with Viking and it just took a few days to see it credited on my account

Good to know Dauntless.  We are booking the excursions online with Viking but were hoping for some flexibility.

24 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

No, not yet able to book but I am in the process of researching ports and excursions.

I was lucky enough to hit a few of those ports on VH.   Flam was great and they've redone the included since we stopped there, though we did the  viewpoint on our own.  Our approach to Flam was so foggy, they had to use the horn but it did burn off and by the time we exited, in mid September it was very dark and shadow-y in the fjord .  We didn't see much in transit.  But you have another Gerangier as well.  I wish I had done Pulpit Rock in Stavanger, but not with the ship.  We did stay a couple of days longer in Bergen and did a round trip NIAN trek where we did the train and the RIB Fjord Safari  through the narrow fjord.  With Amsterdam and Oslo and a few more, that should be fun.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, Dauntless said:

I was lucky enough to hit a few of those ports on VH.   Flam was great and they've redone the included since we stopped there, though we did the  viewpoint on our own.  Our approach to Flam was so foggy, they had to use the horn but it did burn off and by the time we exited, in mid September it was very dark and shadow-y in the fjord .  We didn't see much in transit.  But you have another Gerangier as well.  I wish I had done Pulpit Rock in Stavanger, but not with the ship.  We did stay a couple of days longer in Bergen and did a round trip NIAN trek where we did the train and the RIB Fjord Safari  through the narrow fjord.  With Amsterdam and Oslo and a few more, that should be fun.

How would you have done the Pulpit Rock excursion if not with Viking?  First time cruiser so I don't know the ropes.

4 hours ago, Scootoir said:

How would you have done the Pulpit Rock excursion if not with Viking?  First time cruiser so I don't know the ropes.

There is a private boat tour that is nearly identical to the Viking offering for Pulpit Rock. The company name is Rodne and they dock very close by. They have good reviews on Trip Advisor and the price is less than what Viking charges.

5 hours ago, Scootoir said:

Get a map of Stavanger.  You will dock by the white Houses(Gamla Stavanger, I think).  Now then find the 'Shrimp statue".  If it's not marked on you map, google it.  You just walk towards town along the quay and then turn left and you should easily see it then, if not before.  Probably a 5-7 minute walk from the ship.

5 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

Thanks so much for the responses.  I found Rodne charges $63 for the 3-hour tour.  It's too early for me to see the cost of the excursion from Viking for comparison.   Does anyone know what Viking charges?

I think that the Rodne cruise (last I checked) was for 2 hours and Viking was longer with a waffle.  Much better deal to go with Rodne.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:56 PM, Pushka said:

. I had already booked four independent excursions anyway, with eg Michelle of Island wings, and found that booking independently has saved us some very significant dollars ($300 alone for a heli excursion) so it really pays to do your own research.

Michelle is fabulous!  We've been up with her twice and you will have a great experience.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 8:12 PM, LeRenardrouge said:

Add your excursion choices to your Wish List in MyVikingJourney.

When your booking time opens, open MVJ. Open your Wish List and you can quickly go down the list and book them (be sure they are not sold out). I don't remember now if it says book or add to cart but it is straight forward. Once you have them in your shopping cart, then proceed to check out which requires you to enter billing and credit card information. Be sure you finish the process. Many people suggest booking and paying for optionals first, then go back and book included excursions.

Just so I understand this correctly, you can’t put your desired time slot in the Wish List, so after you move the Wish List to your cart is when you can choose the time?